Zotac amp! extreme 1070 constantly revving up and down

benwinwood6

Reputable
Nov 10, 2017
I recently purchased a Zotac 1070 second had from someone. The card is in impeccable condition.

I have read other having this issue and I want to ask if this is a design fault with his specific model or not, or whether the card is damaged.

I went to test in pass mark and I noticed the fans just turning off and on with a loud wind noise every time. I checked in Firestorm and the fan was going from 3% to 0% rapidly.

My old strix 970 would turn it's fans on about 60 but wouldnt do this contant revving.

Setting a custom fan curve solved the issue, but I want to know if this is normal for this model?

Interesting, I have identical issues with my GTX 1080 AMP! Edition. The fans will spin up and down up and down if higher than 0% and lower than 30% fan speed.

Yeah I set a custom fan curve, i have the fans at 0RPM until 50C then at 51C I set the fans to instantly go to 32% (as anything lower makes the fans rev up and down, meaning not enough voltage is going thru the fans for them to spin).

benwinwood6

Reputable
Nov 10, 2017

I watched a decent amount of reviews before buying the card, and this was never mentioned, but a google search has loads of the same results. I'm not to bothered personally as a custom fan curve is just fine, but it still doesn't seem right.

benwinwood6

Reputable
Nov 10, 2017

I'm surprised I have never head anyone mention it.

I got this card because it benched higher than the Strix and most other cards but auto fan is definitely a no no.

So this happens to everyone and the card is Ok?

benwinwood6

Reputable
Nov 10, 2017

So basically unless you want to be driven mad with the fans constantly turning off and on you need to set a custom fan curve? How did that pass testing

You can even use the application they made, because if I set the fans to 30% from 0-50 degrees they still nearly turn off every 5 seconds, likely due to the voltage you mentioned.

Is that the same for you. What application do you use to set it?

benwinwood6

Reputable
Nov 10, 2017

At 30% the fans are basically un-audiable, but at 40% they are. Under load having my fan speed set to 40% I'm getting 30-40c!

How can I use firestorm and afterburner or another software, I have heard they clash. I want to be able to change the lights on Firestorm, but they only have increments of 10% on the custom fan profile so If I set it to 30% it still revs.

benwinwood6

Reputable
Nov 10, 2017

So leave firestorm on auto fan settings?