News Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 Super Twin Fan: Entry Level Goes Super

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This may be a stretch - but the release of the Super cards makes me wonder: Is this really JUST to try and counter AMD, and Nvidia released the non-super versions out of short-sightedness or profit-margin concerns, or was the Turing architecture not quite ready for this performance level before?

I'm just wondering why the non-Super versions existed at all, if these were coming out such a short time afterward.

Blitz Hacker

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
This may be a stretch - but the release of the Super cards makes me wonder: Is this really JUST to try and counter AMD, and Nvidia released the non-super versions out of short-sightedness or profit-margin concerns, or was the Turing architecture not quite ready for this performance level before?

I'm just wondering why the non-Super versions existed at all, if these were coming out such a short time afterward.
Assuming just a product refresh trying to push old stock.
Last gen products as a new current gen card with only a memory refresh, also not injuring the pride having to price slash (aka intel) to compete in markets to pad out the product stack.

The insane number of SKU's they have is mind boggling (I don't envy people new to understanding which GPU to get) or simply it could of been a tech/supply issue with memory.

However by using older turing GPU's with the faster memory, it demonstrates how much the non super versions are memory starved. Worryingly the build quality I see from tear downs on the super cards (especially mid/low tier in the stack) are worrying. Plastic backplates with no contact to the back of the board used for eye candy at the cost of thermals. Yikes.

Well people were complaining they didn't use backplates on mid/low market I suppose should of just thrown more RGB on it. :)
Also some are using double stacked 'thick' thermal pads for contacts with the heatsink/pipes and off centered pad placement, looks like they were just cannibalizing old stock to move it.

The GTX (pascal) lines were seeming to move off shelves as were the high tier RTX cards (reluctantly) but the mid/low tier turings weren't moving at all due to better price/performance on the GTX card stack, the RTX mid teir/low tier stack is not only over priced but anyone worth their salt knows your not getting anything 'game-able' with ray tracing above 720p.. maybe 1080 and why do that when you can get almost double the benchmarks and frame rates by just forgoing the Nvidia Ray-tracing sampler cards

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you include RTX in the equation, then Turing was nowhere near where it needed to be to drive broad interest into RT, especially on lower-end SKUs where it just isn't a viable feature. Things should get more interesting on 7nm.
There, I'll definitely agree. But, the 16- series is Turing without RT, and, well, I'd have guessed they wouldn't have been rushed, even if, possibly, it seems like the RT part of Turing might have been.

TRENDING THREADS