[SOLVED] zotac gtx 1080 extreme way to hot after 3,5 years. platine question.

Jul 3, 2020
hey guys. i just copy what i wrote to the zotac support.

please some insider help.

issue:

hello zotac support.

i have an 1080 gtx amp extreme. for 3.5 years now. i did not overclock it, but my temps got constantly higher.

10 to 15 degrees higher then on the day i bought it. even with my adjusted high fan curve. the chip gets 80 degrees ingame. even on 70% fan speed. which is not normal. it is way to loud. and way to hot.

in the first year i was on max 70 degrees ingame. with way lower fan speed.

so i opened the card now. to check whats wrong. and if thermal paste is good. and to reapply it after 3,5 years.

i am wondering whats causing the temp issue?

i opened it, and i see some wet or oiled spots on the card. i am wonderin, what is that? and is that normal? is that some protection oil? or should i remove and clean it? and make it dry?

please help.

i dont wanna damage something.

i send you 2 pictures.

also. how should i reapply the paste? just with dot method?

it look really messy as it is now. even went over the chip and on some other parts.

i am wondering that it did not cause some issues.

please detailed help to my questions.

and how can i upload pictures here via mobile phone? dont see anythong for that.

Solution

issue:

hello zotac support.

i have an 1080 gtx amp extreme. for 3.5 years now. i did not overclock it, but my temps got constantly higher.

10 to 15 degrees higher then on the day i bought it. even with my adjusted high fan curve. the chip gets 80 degrees ingame. even on 70% fan speed. which is not normal. it is way to loud. and way to hot.

so i opened the card now. to check whats wrong. and if thermal paste is good. and to reapply it after 3,5 years.

i opened it, and i see some wet or oiled spots on the card. i am...

issue:

hello zotac support.

i opened it, and i see some wet or oiled spots on the card. i am wonderin, what is that? and is that normal? is that some protection oil? or should i remove and clean it? and make it dry?

please help.

i dont wanna damage something.

i send you 2 pictures.

also. how should i reapply the paste? just with dot method?

it look really messy as it is now. even went over the chip and on some other parts.

i am wondering that it did not cause some issues.

please detailed help to my questions.

and how can i upload pictures here via mobile phone? dont see anythong for that.
Welcome to Toms Hardware @gomez12345!

Computers get hot in the summer, as mentioned above, however I don't see any reason why you should be concerned about the temperatures. The 1080's target is to stay under 85c, and your is below that. The reason the temperatures go up after time is because the thermal paste wears out however I wouldn't be concerned, if it reaches above 85c I would be concerned however I would replace the thermal paste regardless like you would on a CPU or just watch a video. Also as a side note, laptops tend to go way beyond your 1080's temperature, a computer is meant to be hot and parts won't burn unlike us. Hope it helps!

Solution
Jul 3, 2020
i fixed it. ty for help.

i was thinking about using liquid metal on the gpu. but it was to risky for me to burn an 800 euro card.

i just used noctuas new nt-nh 2 paste. and my temps dropped about 10 to 13 degrees..

so i guess it was the old pastes fault?

also the platine was VERY tight and pressed together. it felt strange to me.

after taking the screws down, it is way more loose now.

so maybe the presure and tightness made it warmer. or the old paste. i am not rly sure.

but it felt very glued together, and is if it had some negative tention and cooling impact.

but good that i done it... and strange that just a paste changes that much.

for me such high temps were not normal. cause i never had it such high in the past.