750W 80+ Full ATX PSU
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 AM4 Mobo
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x – OC’d to 4.2GHz - Kraken X72 cooled
16GB 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3200MHz
Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB
Barracuda 3.5” OEM 2TB

Current issue:
When gaming, my GPU temp reaches/exceeds the 84C limit and throttling occurs. I have six 120mm fans in the unit (3 intake, 3 exhaust) at this point. I started with just a few fans but once I noticed my GPU temps were so high, I just kept adding them until I ran out of space. I saw minimal improvements from this. From what I understand, this is just an issue with the Zotac AMP 1080ti.

Proposed solution:
I’d like to use an AIO to cool the GPU. I recently installed the Kraken X72 for my CPU and the temp stays in the 60s after a long gaming session even with it OC’d. During benchmarking/stress testing, the CPU stays well below its limit. I’ve read good things about adding AIOs to the 1080ti and have decided I don’t have any other option with my current setup. I’ve done some research, and below is my plan of attack. Before I start ordering the components, I wanted to see if anyone could provide feedback.

Parts List:
- Kraken G12 GPU Mounting Kit
- Kraken X53 240mm AIO Liquid Cooler
-Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste
- 11 Copper VGA RAM heatsinks (14mm x 12mm x 5.5mm)
- NF-B9 92mm PWM fan
- 4-pin PWM GPU fan adapter cable

The radiator/fans will be mounted at the top of the case. It is tight, but it should fit. I’ll replace the NZXT 92mm fan with the NF-B9 PWM fan and use the adapter cable to plug this directly into the GPU. I’ll plug both fans on the radiator into the daisy chain that plugs into the AIO pump. Heatsinks and paste are self-explanatory. I have an open USB 2.0 spot on my mobo, so no issues plugging the cable from the pump into that. This setup should allow me to control the VRAM 92mm fan using the standard GPU fan controls in MSI Afterburner. I will control the pump and radiator fans using the CAM software currently installed for my Kraken X72.

Questions:
  • Is my parts list and plan complete? Is there anything I might run into that I have not addressed?
  • Is the 240mm setup overkill? As mentioned, space is tight so if I could get away with a single radiator 120mm setup and still keep my temps below 80C or so while gaming, I’d be happy with that.
Thanks in advance for taking time to read and respond 😊

Solution
1080ti is fairly power hungry, so I think the 240 is the way to go.

Your parts list looks solid to me. Should be a nice setup once you get ot all installed.
Apr 16, 2020
So no replies yet. I might just go ahead and order things and let you know how it goes. In all of the 1080ti - G12 - AIO builds I have seen, I don't see the detail on how the 92mm fan, radiator fans, pump, etc. were wired/configured. Perhaps it is obvious and I'm over thinking it. I just wanted to make sure I'll be able to control all of the fans and pump based off GPU temp. I think the plan above will give me that, just wanted some assurance before I start tearing things apart. I'll followup with details once I get things going.