Zotac Offering GeForce GT 520 for Classic PCI Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If you're upgrading really old systems then an AGP card would be a better fit. All the entry level cards would not be bottlenecked on the PCI slot anyway.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Wow. I guess if you're stuck with an old POS OEM machine with no AGP slot, this is at least an option. Of course, setting such a machine on fire might be a better option.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
As recently as 2006 there were OEM systems with no AGP slot, and PCI only. I've seen them with higher-end 533FSB P4's. Not that a GT520 would really perform all that well on a system like that, but $60 is a lot better than $350 if your graphics card fails. And it doesn't hurt that it's DX11, cuz new systems still have PCI and it would be able to drive a second monitor when the person in that situation finally does get a new system.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]Wow. Rocking the old PCI slot. Im surprised they didnt offer an AGP version as well.[/citation]

not sure but i think this is because teh way dx 11 communicates with the computer , it' needs a shared buss system , agp does not share a bus , also keep in mind the intention might also be to to SLI the cards , soemthing that also can only be done on a shared bus like old PCI or PCI-E

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Wow. I guess if you're stuck with an old POS OEM machine with no AGP slot, this is at least an option. Of course, setting such a machine on fire might be a better option.[/citation]
set on fire NAH never , you forget the useful ness of old systems for old games , hell i'm still looking for a copy of win 95 i misplaced so i can do a dual boot on my system to play gmaes that don't play in win xp or win 7. imagine rockign those old games with win 95/98 and this video card on an intel P4 yah for nostaglia gaming !

on second thought though steam does offer many odl gmaes that work great on even 64 bit versions of win 7

and your comment was funny as hell !

mavroxur

Distinguished
Funny how there are a LOT of modern machines out there that are sporting modern processors (quad core territory) that have NO pci-e slots. Thanks to OEM's being cheap-asses, there's a lot of eMachines, Compaq, HP, Dell, and several others out there that no way to upgrade the grapnics. I've got an old Core 2 Duo E8400 media center PC that has 2 PCI slots, and that's it. You either use the onboard video (absolutely horrid SiS IGP) or shove something into a PCI slot and push on. Or if not for upgrading the onboard, possibly adding a 2nd video card for multi-monitor setups on systems that only have 1 PCI-e slot. There really is a market out there. And to the poster that commented "surprised there's no AGP version", I completely understand why there's not. NO new systems are manufactured with AGP slots. However, PCI is still everywhere.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]set on fire NAH never , you forget the useful ness of old systems for old games , hell i'm still looking for a copy of win 95 i misplaced so i can do a dual boot on my system to play gmaes that don't play in win xp or win 7. imagine rockign those old games with win 95/98 and this video card on an intel P4 yah for nostaglia gaming ! on second thought though steam does offer many odl gmaes that work great on even 64 bit versions of win 7 and your comment was funny as hell ![/citation]

Which games, I'm curious. All the oldies that I still have on their original cd like Monkey Island and Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis run through an emulator called Scummvm. You made me wanna play the old school point and click Indiana Jones now :(

Lekko

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Mail to: CERN superluminal neutrino research facility.

Note: Send this back in time to back in 1995. Thanks in.. advance?

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Back to topic. I wonder if this would be useful for people looking to have a multi-monitor setup. Can this be combined with a pci-ex card to have multiple monitors?

[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]not sure but i think this is because teh way dx 11 communicates with the computer , it' needs a shared buss system , agp does not share a bus , also keep in mind the intention might also be to to SLI the cards , soemthing that also can only be done on a shared bus like old PCI or PCI-E[/citation]
LMAO SLI!!! dude I dont think you can sli these cards on standard pci slots......

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
PCI is still useful and everyone here should have at least 1 PCI videocard.

and here is the reason. When ever you are modding the video bios of your PCI-e videocard, if something messes up, you will need a PCI videocard so that you can see as you rerun the flash tool and restore the original bios.

(I have a old geforce 2 that I keep around just for this)

another benefit is if you don't game you can load each PCI slot with a videocard that supports dual display. (a factory that I do computer repair for has a system with a 4 PCI videocards driving 8 monitors so keep each security camera in view.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]LMAO SLI!!! dude I dont think you can sli these cards on standard pci slots......[/citation]
Thats what I was thinking :p At least, not the version of SLI we have now a days. The old Voodoos, like you mentioned, are the only ones that come to mind, and even then, completely different implementation. Honestly, as was pointed out above, the only use I could see would be where you need more monitors, and have no more PCI-Express slots, or just need an emergency backup card.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Back to topic. I wonder if this would be useful for people looking to have a multi-monitor setup. Can this be combined with a pci-ex card to have multiple monitors?[/citation]

I see no reason why it couldn't.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Back to topic. I wonder if this would be useful for people looking to have a multi-monitor setup. Can this be combined with a pci-ex card to have multiple monitors?[/citation]
I know for a fact that one could simultaneously use AGP and PCI cards to simultaneously drive different displays... And I seem to recall this proving true with PCI-e & PCI, so I'd actually be surprised if you couldn't do that with this card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS