Zotac Refreshes Zbox Nano with AMD Brazos 2.0 APU

Status
Not open for further replies.

obsama1

Distinguished
If the standard AD12 came in at $200, it would be amazing an an HTPC. Just pop in a 4GB stick for $20, a cheap 160GB drive for $30 off of eBay, and BAM! Awesome HTPC for $250. But we all know this won't be $200, lol.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
How do they get away with the use of "Nano" in their product name ?
Apple must be too busy with Samsung or they'd sure have said something to protect their own 'Nano'.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]If the standard AD12 came in at $200, it would be amazing an an HTPC. Just pop in a 4GB stick for $20, a cheap 160GB drive for $30 off of eBay, and BAM! Awesome HTPC for $250. But we all know this won't be $200, lol.[/citation]

I actually built a HTPC with an E-450 board, I thought the performance I got out of that was quite amazing considering it's size.

I'm certainly excited to see reviews or benchmarks on this system.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just remembered my E-450 is at 1.8GHz and the GPU core is at 688MHz (Overclooocked)
It'll still be interesting none-the-less to read about benchmarks but it holds no significant improvements that would make me want to upgrade.

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I actually built a HTPC with an E-450 board, I thought the performance I got out of that was quite amazing considering it's size.I'm certainly excited to see reviews or benchmarks on this system.EDIT: Nevermind, I just remembered my E-450 is at 1.8GHz and the GPU core is at 688MHz (Overclooocked)In other words.. This "Generation" is a derp.[/citation]

And? That's like saying a 9800 gt can perform on the same level as a 680 when they are both at 700 mhz.

Go away, you are stupid.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]bawchicawawa[/nom]And? That's like saying a 9800 gt can perform on the same level as a 680 when they are both at 700 mhz.Go away, you are stupid.[/citation]

Not quite sure why you went on the offense, but for whatever reason you did.

I think you misunderstood what I originally said. I'm saying they basically just bumped up the clocks a little in comparison to the older generation and that no real technological improvements have been made.

Your logic is completely stupid by the way. How on Earth is it like saying a 9800gt can come anywhere close to 10% the performance of a GTX680..

The difference between the E2-1800 and the E-450 is that the E2 is basically clocked a little higher than a stock E-450 with extra power saving capabilities and support for TWO USB 3.0 ports.

yobobjm

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I don't mean to hate, but I think I'd rather have an asrock vision x as that has a decent mobile processor (i3, i5, i7) and a competent mobile gpu (7850m I think), that being said those are like $600 and this will hopefully be much cheaper.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Not quite sure why you went on the offense, but for whatever reason you did.I think you misunderstood what I originally said. I'm saying they basically just bumped up the clocks a little in comparison to the older generation and that no real technological improvements have been made.Your logic is completely stupid by the way. How on Earth is it like saying a 9800gt can come anywhere close to 10% the performance of a GTX680..The difference between the E2-1800 and the E-450 is that the E2 is basically clocked a little higher than a stock E-450 with extra power saving capabilities and support for TWO USB 3.0 ports.[/citation]CPU clocks only went up a hair but GPU turbo went from 600 to 680 Mhz. Not a bad jump when comparing stock to stock. I'd bet you can overclock one of these just as well if not better.

My point is that while this may not be a worthy upgrade for someone with an E-450, it's nice to get the slight bump in performance and other nice upgrades the new AD12 offers. You know, for buyers who don't already own an E-450 tinybox. :p

alextheblue

Distinguished
I hope you post this every time a device containing Atom pops up in a news post too. You know, since Brazos is an Atom competitor and all.

Or when a news article about an SSD comes up that is less than 1TB, you'd better jump in and tell everyone that you'd rather have a PCIe based solution that is at least four times as large and twice as fast, and you always get a minimum of 64GB of memory to back it up.

yobobjm

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]I hope you post this every time a device containing Atom pops up in a news post too. You know, since Brazos is an Atom competitor and all.Or when a news article about an SSD comes up that is less than 1TB, you'd better jump in and tell everyone that you'd rather have a PCIe based solution that is at least four times as large and twice as fast, and you always get a minimum of 64GB of memory to back it up.[/citation]
I mean the z-box nanos in general which do feature non brazos options. No need to be a jerk about it.

mrkay

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
ARG! I was hoping with the new gen to have a reason to trade up from my E-350, but there isn't enough to justify the cost. Not that there isn't value here or improvement. AMD, please take bigger steps.

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Not quite sure why you went on the offense, but for whatever reason you did.I think you misunderstood what I originally said. I'm saying they basically just bumped up the clocks a little in comparison to the older generation and that no real technological improvements have been made.Your logic is completely stupid by the way. How on Earth is it like saying a 9800gt can come anywhere close to 10% the performance of a GTX680..The difference between the E2-1800 and the E-450 is that the E2 is basically clocked a little higher than a stock E-450 with extra power saving capabilities and support for TWO USB 3.0 ports.[/citation]

"Your logic is completely stupid by the way." Talk about yourself much? The irony...
Maybe do 2 second of research first, okay?
The e-450 is a different arch than brazos 2.0.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Sad thing is this is AMDs lowest price offering, and it still beats a Core i7 that is paired with integrated graphics in games like half of the idiot prebuilt systems.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
[citation][nom]Obsama1[/nom]If the standard AD12 came in at $200, it would be amazing an an HTPC. Just pop in a 4GB stick for $20, a cheap 160GB drive for $30 off of eBay, and BAM! Awesome HTPC for $250. But we all know this won't be $200, lol.[/citation]

I got a barebone AD10 for 225€ about 10 months ago.

sslapikas

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
..But still they have quite poor performance even for HTPC.. except if you put SSD in it.
Had some experience with Zotac AD02 (E-350)

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]yobobjm[/nom]I mean the z-box nanos in general which do feature non brazos options. No need to be a jerk about it.[/citation]I was trying to illustrate how silly it is for you to drag out somewhat higher-end CPUs paired with much higher-end discrete GPUs - in a discussion about a budget Atom competitor. This chip is pretty good at what it does, when you factor in pricing.[citation][nom]mrkay[/nom]ARG! I was hoping with the new gen to have a reason to trade up from my E-350, but there isn't enough to justify the cost. Not that there isn't value here or improvement. AMD, please take bigger steps.[/citation]I think you'll have to wait for Kabini to see a really significant jump over existing Brazos chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.