[SOLVED] Zotac RTX 2070 Super Running Hot (86°)

Jun 3, 2020
Hi, I recently just bought a Power Spec PC from Microcenter. The GPU is an RTX 2070 Super. I have only played two demanding games on this pc so far, Red Dead Redemption 2 and rust. Both are on high settings, but not maxed out. Initially while playing the GPU was reaching steady tempts of 86C. I adjusted the fan curve to be more aggressive and it only helped reduce the temp by about a degree. I then went into my Bios and adjusted the chassis fans to help with Temps inside the case. This seem to only drop it about another degree. I then tried removing my side panel completely and monitored Temps which honestly didn't seem to help at all. I'm at a loss. NVIDIA says the 2070 Super is safe up to Temps in the 90s I believe, but everyone else running this card is saying their Temps are maxing in the 70s. It looks like I have room for one more fan on my chassis, but I'm not sure if this would help considering completely removing the side panel didn't do much. Looking for any suggestions. I appreciate any help in advance!

Solution
Your GPU is likely just set for "temperature target = 86C" which is a common thing. The coolers do not even start spinning at low temperatures and do not reach full speed. You can change this with a custom fan curve, for example, using a GPU tweak utility of your choice.
Thanks for the response. Turns out the software I was using to control the curve was not actually adjusting the curve at all. I uninstalled that one and installed msi afterburner instead. Now I am getting Temps below 80 degrees which I am happy with.
"but everyone else running this card is saying their Temps are maxing in the 70s. "

I have three NVidia GPUs running at the moment and they all max out at about 82-83C and I have good case cooling.....so I don't think you are as far off as you think you are.

If I wasn't having any issues I might leave it alone.

The spec is 88C max for that card by the way.

Jun 3, 2020
"but everyone else running this card is saying their Temps are maxing in the 70s. "

I have three NVidia GPUs running at the moment and they all max out at about 82-83C and I have good case cooling.....so I don't think you are as far off as you think you are.

If I wasn't having any issues I might leave it alone.

The spec is 88C max for that card by the way.
Thanks for the reply. This is reassuring. I also should note it is the 2070 Super mini I know smaller gpus tend to run louder due to fan speed, but do they run hotter as well even with the increased fan speed? I may just add an additional fan regardless just for some piece of mind.

Your GPU is likely just set for "temperature target = 86C" which is a common thing. The coolers do not even start spinning at low temperatures and do not reach full speed. You can change this with a custom fan curve, for example, using a GPU tweak utility of your choice.

Jun 3, 2020
Thanks for the response. Turns out the software I was using to control the curve was not actually adjusting the curve at all. I uninstalled that one and installed msi afterburner instead. Now I am getting Temps below 80 degrees which I am happy with.

Solution