Ambassador
A buddy of mine just purchased a CyperpowerPC with the following spec:
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Intel® Core™ Processor i7-10700K
  • GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6
  • 16GB DDR4/3000MHz RAM
  • 1TB WD Blue SN550 M.2 PCIe SSD
  • ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX Motherboard
It's got some small Cooler Master AIO, and some RGB fans and such....anywho.

He received and powered on the computer and it worked fine for a couple of hours of messing around. He noted that everything seemed to be operating fine but a message popped up about the graphics driver not fully installing. He restarted the computer and green artifacts as dots show on the splash screen. About 50/50 that it will boot to Windows, but if it will the artifacts are sections of green vertical lines across the screen. The rest of the time it will boot to black screen/fans running.

If you boot directly into BIOS (F2) it will not artifact in the BIOS screen, but almost always will not boot back into Windows on exit/save.

The computer works perfectly on the onboard graphics and will show error 42 for the 3070. If you attempt to load a driver it will go all the way through install and then just not finish. I attempted to DDU/clean, use Nvidia website driver, couple of older drivers, the Windows Update method to a driver, and nothing seems to help. I read that this was not an uncommon issue with the 2070 and saw a few posts regarding this happening with 3080. Given the unlikely possibility that Cyberpower even HAS a GPU to replace this with, and such....

Was there any method to fix such, or is it just a dead (new) GPU?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
What PSU is in that system? Brand and model?

Sometime green dots and green lines is just a bad cable. Especially green dots.

The spec sheet listed it as a 800W gold and IIRC it was an EVGA unit, but I cannot recall for sure.

By bad cable, what aspect do you mean?
I tried HDMI and DP, and the owner tried that as well.

I was reluctant to attempt installing this into one of my machines to try.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just the cable or connection from the GPU to Monitor. I doubt it's that since you tried more than one cable.

It's probably the GPU :S

Yes, it appears so. Not really sure what manner of support he will get on repair or replacement of this item given the track record that CyberpowerPC has for that.
I will say that after looking through the machine I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of components chosen as well as the general build and wire management. The only "screwy" things I noted were that they missed a couple of the backplate tabs and blocked the top two USB. The motherboard will have to be lifted to fix that and I refused to go that deep while he has a possible warranty issue.
The only other issue I noted was that in order to keep wire management "simple" the builder opted to run all 4 fans from the case fan header and changed a setting in BIOS so it wouldn't throw a no CPU fan error. Once the BIOS got reset it was throwing warnings about checking that fan. I opted to move the header to the CPU and offered to actually re-route the other two case fans down to the proper header when/if he gets the warranty issue solved.

I imagine he is going to be forced to return this for a refund, but we should see Monday.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
They just need to fix their support and faulty parts. The choice is pretty decent even though it's quite expensive compared to some competition in the UK. I had to send a full system back, had two 2080 supers sent as replacement and 1 was resent back and pretending it was new, but I marked it so knew it was the one they sent, 1 of them was used ( meant to be new ) and they also sent a 2060 super in stead of 2080 super. They where quite rude and did not care when I was trying to sort all of that and so I asked for a refund and they refused until I threatened them for trying to take my £2000 before the 14 day money back guarantee.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Buddy called CPC and was on the phone about 2 hours discussing what troubleshooting we did. They agreed that the GPU is defective and was asked to ship it back to Cali so they can look at it. He noticed after taking it out that one of the traces on the "plug" (PCI) part of the card was missing.