Question zotac rtx 3080 trinity oc fans extremely loud

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
in borderlands 3, during gameplay and especially in the main menu, the gpu gets so loud that its actively distracting and really obnoxious:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/999528306967859233/1027441553465167932/IMG_1327.mov

here's the temps hwmonitor shows during the game's benchmark (sorry about the lacking picture, i was in too much of a hurry at the time for a screenshot):
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/999528306967859233/1027442085449703434/IMG_1329.jpg

and here there are during the benchmark with fan speed set to a static 31 in afterburner:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/999528306967859233/1027442101648105532/IMG_1330.jpg
this didnt fix the volume of the noise, but it did reduce the frequency of it to a few seconds at a time every 20 or so seconds. it doesnt really solve the racket, though, and as you can see, it does incur an unwanted temperature penalty

ps: sorry i didnt embed the images, that was giving me an error preventing me from posting this

Lutfij

Titan
Does your case have any intake fans? From what I can see off that dark video, you also lack any exhaust fans. I'd look into fans for both intake and exhaust and see if your temps get better>the GPU fans are at lower RPM's.

are none of these exhaust fans? (the psu fan is facing down)

That looks like the front fan is setup as an exhaust which you don’t want in that position. Ideally you want at least 2 front intake 120mm fans and 2 exhaust 120mm fans. The exhaust should be with one on the back of the case and one at the top. It’s key to get cool air into the case and hot air exhausted out.

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
that completely ideal setup isnt feasible with my exhausted budget, but how would you say id have to reposition the fans for optimal cooling using the ones i already have in there?

also: all the diagrams i can find online show the front fan blowing air to the back of the fase, which is what my front fan is doing since its spinning clockwise. would that make it intake or exhaust?

Last edited:

kilo24

Reputable
Jan 31, 2019
thought i found a fix: downloaded zotac's firestorm companion software, clicked the lock icon to unlink gpu temp target and power target, kept power at 100%, and lowered temp all the way down to 65c. then i just had to go into the program's settings to make it launch on startup and stay running minimised in the background. was really quiet, hotspot temp didn't go above 87c in quake ii rtx

then it decided to start forcing itself minimised after being open for a second until i reinstalled it (related to the "minimise firestorm on windows startup" setting?). now these settings aren't working, with my fans still loud and my hotspot temps still above 100c. afterburner didn't seem to even do anything

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That looks like the front fan is setup as an exhaust which you don’t want in that position. Ideally you want at least 2 front intake 120mm fans and 2 exhaust 120mm fans. The exhaust should be with one on the back of the case and one at the top. It’s key to get cool air into the case and hot air exhausted out.
That front fan is an intake fan and is oriented correctly. Exhaust fans should be on the rear and/or top of the case to facilitate airflow.

From what I see, there are no exhaust fans.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS