ZTE Escapes US Ban, Will Pay New $1 Billion Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
…what? Did you even read the article? A fine is a lesser punishment than what they were going to get... they would have had to close their doors if he didn't negotiate a compromise. And they weren't targeted, so much as they were violating sanctions. They brought the wrath down upon themselves.

Oh, and no government agency should ever have allowed Huawei or ZTE devices.

Tanyac

Reputable
The Congress members who introduced the bill, as well as the intelligence agencies that flagged ZTE and Huawei hardware as risky, believe that Chinese devices could contain spyware and backdoors that could be a threat to national security.

Wow! That's the pot calling the kettle black!

I certainly agree. ZTE broke rules that never needed to be broken and bet on it paying off. If I were given a similarly (though scaled) severe punishment, I would never be shown such leniency. They have far more resources to prevent infraction and far greater reasons not to, so I say crucify them.

It's high time choices had real consequences in this world for EVERYONE. Every consequence has a choice, it's damn well time those start coming to fruition.

Matt_550

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Most likely due to $500 million given to an Indonesian project and 38 new trademarks.

Also. his stance against China has weakened to almost nothing in recent months. $200 billion of trade to be subjected to tariffs has fallen to $50 billion and we all of a sudden have to save Chinese jobs. LOL, his followers are getting fleeced.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I actually thought the revised penalty ($1B fine + firing the executives) was smarter, not least because it doesn't have collateral damage for US tech companies & consumers and it doesn't push China to transition away from US-based suppliers.

I'm sure China was already trying to move away from US-based suppliers, but this ban (and tariff threats) will only add urgency to the move. Then, not only won't this sanction be available, but the trade deficit will be even wider.

G

The difference between a US company and a Chinese company is that when the Government asks for something, they can actually say no. As Apple did with Encryption! In China the communist party will not tolerate that and the executive who said no will quickly find themselves replaced by one who says yes.

That is if they would even say no in the first place, as it is also important to remember that the Chinese government is stealing US IP and giving it to them!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Might be nice if I knew just what all the complaints are about. ZTE/Huawei got caught with their hands in the cookie jar, so fine, break out the Catholic nuns and some big rulers. But so far I've not seen anything that'll tell me what not to buy, does anybody really know?

Status
Not open for further replies.