Zuckerberg: No Facebook Phone, Confirms Search Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
People want answers to their queries, not a pile of results to sift through, he added. "Search engines are really evolving to give you a set of answers, ‘I'm too lazy to do any research for myself, so snoop into all of my personal information and then do my thinking for me,'" he said.

Fixed that for you...

samkl

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Search engines have simple workflow: ask-> find -> answer. If you keep getting irrelevant answers, then search feels like a broken experience.

Facebook has huge wealth of data. Some might be useful and some is just mumbo-jumbo . Interesting how FB will make their data useful and what people will find useful.
Could "googling" become "facebooking"?
-SK

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]People want answers to their queries, not a pile of results to sift through, he added. "Search engines are really evolving to give you a set of answers, ‘I'm too lazy to do any research for myself, so snoop into all of my personal information and then do my thinking for me,'" he said.Fixed that for you...[/citation]
But on the other hand, why would I want to make a research project out of finding a specific site/answer/product? Sure, I'm fine with sifting through results to find what I need, but if I don't have to, why would I want to? I'd rather just be more efficient so I can do other more worthwhile things with my time. Not that a search result takes up THAT much time to sift through, but what MZ is discussing is less of a "search" and more of an "answer." And I think--despite how I feel about FB in general--that that does have relevance to a lot of users. His example is pretty good too--"I'm similar to my friends, and I probably have similar food opinions, so find me a sushi restaurant around me that my friends also liked." That should be an entirely different answer than if you searched yelp or google places. I think FB has mostly been a joke in terms of its IPO, but there is also the capacity to produce a service that appeals to a lot of people. Outside of sharing your mundane trivial quips, that is...

[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]Not that a search result takes up THAT much time to sift through...[/citation]
This is my point. We're not talking the difference between "a research project" and "do[ing] more worthwhile things with my time". We're talking a few minutes. If it is worth it to someone to tell Facebook a whole bunch of personal information just to save a minute or two while looking for a sushi place, then great, but...

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Why would I search facebook for sushi restaurants my friends liked in New York. When I could just ask my friends what restaurants they like?

And if I was feeling especially introverted, then I would go to urbanspoon for newyork and click on sushi...

Social search is a useless tool for the masses, and only assists governments and corporations on tracking users and gathering trend data.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]This is my point. We're not talking the difference between "a research project" and "do[ing] more worthwhile things with my time". We're talking a few minutes. If it is worth it to someone to tell Facebook a whole bunch of personal information just to save a minute or two while looking for a sushi place, then great, but...[/citation]
Oh, don't get me wrong--I'm not disagreeing with you in principle. It doesn't matter to me personally if I look through a set of results--but at the same time, a set of results is not actually an answer. And if a user is looking for an answer, then that's not the best service for them. I think it's a realistic lack in the "search service" market, especially when you consider that most people are doing things on their phones vs. their desktops--on an inherently less-UI-friendly platform for "lengthy" search/browsing.

[citation][nom]anti-painkilla[/nom]Soon 'hot single girl within 50km that has low standards' will actually bring back results.[/citation]
The search engine will look at all the women you tag as "Close Friends" (or whatever) on Facebook, analyze their pictures to build a profile of what you find attractive, and then offer you a "hotness" slider so that you can select how close to that ideal the potential search result has to be.

It'll also have a slider allowing you to choose which standard of "single" you're comfortable with.

Clicking "More options" will also let you set your standard for "female".

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]The search engine will look at all the women you tag as "Close Friends" (or whatever) on Facebook, analyze their pictures to build a profile of what you find attractive, and then offer you a "hotness" slider so that you can select how close to that ideal the potential search result has to be.It'll also have a slider allowing you to choose which standard of "single" you're comfortable with.Clicking "More options" will also let you set your standard for "female".[/citation]

That would be cool. More likely it will keep a log of girls your FB stalk then alert you when they are single and posting lonely status updates.

zenblend

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
I don't know how anyone could believe that people want every aspect of their life invaded by money-grubbing corporations all for the sake of not having to personally interact with friends to find out about the sushi bars in their lives.

G

It should be really good once facebook complete their search engine.. it did state somewhere in an apparent leak online and on twitter that Facebook's New Search Engine is going to be called Fearch.com ! That's not a bad rival name to Google IMO.. I can already hear them adverts everywhere and ppl in movies saying it.. just fearch it!

Status
Not open for further replies.