[SOLVED] Zyxel GS1900-8HP defaulting to original password when power cycled

CrispyBytes

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I have a Zyxel GS1900-8HP switch which I use to run some PoE CCTV cameras (Reolink cameras, Blue Iris on Windows 10).

I found that, every few weeks, the cameras go down and the only way to resolve the problem seems to be a power cycle (switching off and then on again 30 seconds later, via the power switch at the back).

The problem that I have is that it seems to reset the password and the community to the default settings again. I don't know if it is doing a full factory reset, or whether it is just resetting those values.

I just wanted to ask whether this is expected behaviour (I assume that it isn't), or whether it might be a known issue.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Well, I've managed to answer my own question.

I hadn't realised that applying the new password doesn't actually save it, and so it only exists in memory while the switch is on. Simply fixed by clicking the Save button in the top right of the web interface.

Seems a strange behaviour for the password, but otherwise makes sense if you are making a number of configurations in different areas and need one atomic commit.

CrispyBytes

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Well, I've managed to answer my own question.

I hadn't realised that applying the new password doesn't actually save it, and so it only exists in memory while the switch is on. Simply fixed by clicking the Save button in the top right of the web interface.

Seems a strange behaviour for the password, but otherwise makes sense if you are making a number of configurations in different areas and need one atomic commit.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS