Zyxel router access after factory reset

hardwareuser52

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Hi, I have a Zyxel router P-2812HNU-F1 which won't allow admin access after a factory reset.
I am sure it is not bricked as the LEDs flash and stay on after power up, ethernet ports LED shown correctly, wifi connects to laptop, DSL LED comes on after a minute, but the internet LED stays red (no internet connection.) I can connect using ethernet to the router's admin setup page.

I have tried power cycle, factory reset several times, and the LEDs respond to this reset by changing colour, flashing then staying on.

I used 192.168.1.1 to connect to the admin set up page and am prompted to enter a user name and password, which should be "admin" and "1234" by default and also after a factory reset.
All I get is a red error message, "wrong user name or password."
Why doesn't a reset allow me to access the router, could it be blocked in any way?

Can anyone help please?
Thanks. I am tearing out what is left of my hair!

hardwareuser52

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016

hardwareuser52

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Hello, thanks for the ideas. I tried the user name and password options, but still get the error message that they are incorrect, also tried another factory reset as well, no change.
I have contacted Zyxel support, who sent me a link to the manual which I have already read, and they also suggested doing a reset, and trying admin and 1234.
It seems I am stuck with a "working" router, or one very close to it, but it won't reset to default settings.
Maybe the firmware needs upgrading, but without an internet connection not sure how that can be done.
Can a router be locked down or blocked by ISP to prevent a reset?

hardwareuser52

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Yes, it could be but as I bought it second hand I don't know its origin. It came boxed with all leads, manual, setup CD and looked almost new. It may have been sent as part of an ISP package, but I don't know who supplied these routers about 3-4 years ago I guess. The plug is standard UK and has a recent safety sticker expiring in December 2016.
I like the idea of a firmware upgrade, but not sure how to do this. There is an upgrade listed on the Zyxel site, but to use it I need admin access to the router, then once in can check firmware upgrade options and upload it from my computer.

Well not knowing its origin can be a problem, I assume you already looked around and found no identifying label? A quick Google shows this is a OpenWrt capable box so who the neck knows what the old owner did with it. Maybe the end of the tunnel for you and no light.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS