Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 136 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AlbertAZ

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
What game have you been playing recently? How did you find the experience of playing said game?

Any games you looking forward to? Why are you looking at those games?

Lately I've been playing Transistor which is pretty amazing - I would give it GOTY for the refreshing gameplay experience. I played some Always Sometimes Monsters which was pretty terrible to be perfectly honest - it felt like a horrible cheap shot RPG that punishes every choice you make unrealistically. I've just started to play Divinity and like every other RPG I haven't got my head around to how it works yet.

Right now I have my eyes set on Dragon Age: Inquisition - it's made by EA, so I'll be buying it after release ;). Star Citizen looks pretty cool, but I'm not particularly interested in space sims - just the potential to advance PC graphics sounds amazing. I will very likely buy Sims 4 -> just for character creation (I'm a girl, after all). I haven't played Assassin's Creed, but the latest installment looks pretty neat with the co-op aspect.

How about the rest of you?
Microsoft Solitaire

Reactions: punkncat

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Microsoft Solitaire
One of the best games ever made if you don't got a discrete graphics card in your pc, I'd still play it as well.

Had some of my deactivated games on EA app reactivated and one of these is a game called: Need For Speed SHIFT 2 UNLEACHED, for some time I thought this game wasn't working on Windows home 11 64 bit, well low and behold it's actually running on modern hardware, seems the thing that was required is some legacy physics from NVidia to be installed.

Once I booted up this game, I was instantly hooked, It runs so smooth on modern hardware, it's actually unbelievable, I'm having a great time playing this game, and it can be really challenging to make 100% progress with this game, but if your not to serious, one can also go in to have just some fun. Really well made game, and if you like car games I'd suggest you go check this out or just go for another event in this game!

Then I was playing Batman Arkham knight again, what an epic story, it's great fun every time.

Need for Speed franchise.
I don't hate any single one of them, each are fun in the own way.
I somehow managed to put more than 10000+ hours in a lot of them.
My first one was "Need for Speed High Stakes" on my uncle's PS1, back in 2008-09 I think. Fell in love with the thrill of the chase, later on my uncle bought a PC for me and my sister so we can play games. First thing I did was download NFS Most Wanted 2005, simply because I heard it was good, not knowing how good it was. Got addict and played it throughout my entire elementary school, every. single. day.
Then when I got 13-14 yo, I was interested in NFS Rivals, NFS Most Wanted 2012, and NFS 2015. All new gen games, with different physics and they took some time to get used to, but once I did, I fell in love.
My all time favourite NFS is "Rivals". Tons of supercars, first game on then new Frostbite engine, insane graphics for 2013, most insane and aggressive cops, story was sick, 2 different carrers, one as a racer, second one as a cop, insane pursuit tech, things you only saw in Marvel movies xD, and the game had a different vibe to it.
But it is by far the worst optimized NFS game. You literally cannot play it for more than 2-3 without it having to either frezze, crash or enter some glitch, which resulted in you losing all your progress ( speedpoints). Also pretty good DLC's ( back in the day when EA actually cared about updating their games ).
Nowadays I play NFS Heat the most, but NFS games dont hit the same anymore. They lost their "prestige" status. NFS unbound is copy-paste of NFS HEAT, with little upgrades simply to back up the fact that it is the latest NFS game.
In my opionion, Forza Horizon 5 is way better when it comes to physics, car availability, events and overall driving experience, thats why I play it the most.
NFS Unbound/Heat have way better customization, cinematics, animation, and a actual story behind it, something Forza Horizon series does not have.
A lot of people hate on Most Wanted 2012, i dont know why, possibly because it didnt meet the NFS "Most Wanted" expectations, but i love it. Its the first game to introduce new physics system, different feel of speed, cool cars and DLC's.
Thats my take on it, everyone has their own opinion.
I trully believe that NFS franchise will never be what it once was, mby its because we are getting older, but i really think they lots their status, that they once had.

Reactions: punkncat
Doom Eternal is going to take some getting used to. :)

Yeah Doom Eternal was intimidating for me at first, with it's frenetic pace and all the nuances of the combat, there's a lot to think about. Once you get used to regularly rotating through grenade types, flame belch, and chainsawing though, it gets a lot easier. In fact I found as long as you keep moving and using portals, jump pads, and monkey bars every now and then, you can manage it without the elite aerial combat and super fast switching of multiple weapons like some can do. You DO have to be careful with portals though, as sometimes they will dump you face first in front of heavies, so you need to be ready to retreat back into them.

Reactions: stonecarver

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
Playing Starfield on my quad core, 85w 3070 gpu laptop with the dlss 3.5 mod. Still only getting 30-45fps in the bigger cities in this game. Absolutely gorgeous though.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Need for Speed franchise.
(snip)

When the original Need for Speed was released for PC my rig wasn't strong enough to run it. A buddy of mine had a system that would. I would go over there and play the hell out of it every chance I got which obviously wasn't such a cool thing to do to friend. I ended up doing a rent to buy thing with a system to see if it would run it, and then paid it off for WELL more than it was worth. To this day I still enjoy NFS.

I do agree with you to say that Forza blew it out of the water.

Reactions: Dj0gany
When the original Need for Speed was released for PC my rig wasn't strong enough to run it. A buddy of mine had a system that would. I would go over there and play the hell out of it every chance I got which obviously wasn't such a cool thing to do to friend. I ended up doing a rent to buy thing with a system to see if it would run it, and then paid it off for WELL more than it was worth. To this day I still enjoy NFS.

I do agree with you to say that Forza blew it out of the water.
After NFS 2015, every nfs game after it didnt have "that"feeling.
Nfs 2015 is such a mood. You play it only at night, and you chug monster energy while playing it. You cant sit down and say "i wanna play nfs 2015", the mood has to be set.
Nfs payback was a fast and furious copy paste, cool story, but freeroam was boring.
Nfs heat, it felt like kind of a new game, the Miami mood was really cool, customization was top notch, but the game lacked updates from EA (who wouldve guessed), and i dont know why they didnt put drag races in the game, because the city literally had 10 parallel streets perfectly set for drag racing, also there were drag tires, and a one big shot of nitrous that you could put on your car.
I havent played unbound much, but feels very similar to Heat, the main diff i see are those animations while driving, and there are more updates added to it, compared to nfs heat.
Forza is literally the opposite, boring story and visual customization, but freeroam is where it shines. You have 700+ cars, weekly new car updates and cool DLC's like the Hot Wheels, or Rally racing. Bunch of cool cars, from regular traffic, ti heavily track-suited cars, to Mercedes-Benz Racing trucks xD.
In terms of physics amd pure driving, Forza Horizon outshines new Need for Speed, but NFS has wayyy better customizations, story, and multiplayer.
If im in a some sort of mood, i play NFS, if i want to drive, i play forza horizon, simple as that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Only NFS I liked was Porsche Unleashed. It was also last one made by original team that started the series, and it was obvious right away when the next one came out as cars just didn't feel right.

Every car in this game felt different. And it had Every Porsche car up until its release date

Only NFS I liked was Porsche Unleashed. It was also last one made by original team that started the series, and it was obvious right away when the next one came out as cars just didn't feel right.

Every car in this game felt different. And it had Every Porsche car up until its release date
Porsche Unleashed was in that same PS1 era as NFS High Stakes if i remember correctly, truly the golden era for nfs games. NFS high stakes, alongside other cool cars, had both AMG CLK GTR and McLaren F1 GTR Longtail, and one orange V8 Hot-Rod, cant remember its name, it was the coolest thing to drive though, were one of my favourite cars to this day, i remember having a 30 minute debate over which one i should drive xD. I remember Porsche 911's being OP as Cop cars in that game, also Corvettes. And the thrill of the chase was just different back then. The closest "modern" thing to it for me is NFS Rivals, my person favourite, cops are just ruthless in fhat game. Someday in my life, i will probably buy a PS1, and a couple of those older NFS games and have a beautiful nostalgic experience. AND THOSE SAVE CARDS YOU HAD TO PLUG IN THE PS1 OMG. I always forgot to put them in a my progress was never saved xD, but i still kept playing over and over again. Games dont make you feel that anymore, that feeling when you just HAVE to play the game, doesnt matter if your progress is saved or if you have to start again. Same story with GTA San Andreas, and NFS MW 2005, you just had no problem playing the story mode again for the 30th time, because you know it will be a awesome experience.

Reactions: falcon291

Colif

Win 11 Master
No idea, I had it on PC from memory... I never owned a PS1

I don't think there were any cops in the one I mentioned, it was mostly just races against other cars and oncoming traffic.

Shame EA are unlikely to ever remake it... if only...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I had it on pc too, still have disc amongst many other games in a cd wallet. Most of them likely have 16bit installers. Unless have retro / vm i don't think you can install any other way on 64bit os?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had it on pc too, still have disc amongst many other games in a cd wallet. Most of them likely have 16bit installers. Unless have retro / vm i don't think you can install any other way on 64bit os?

3 years old, can't guarantee all sites still exist.

i doubt I have my discs any more or I would try it.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I have been absolutely addicted to SW jedi Fallen Order lately (I know I am a bit late to the party but @Avro Arrow said I should play it before starting Jedi Survivor) I have also been playing starfield for a couple of hours every day as well.

Crazyy8

Proper
Sep 22, 2023
Team Fortress 2. I started playing at the start of the pandemic with my brother, using a PC(GTX 670, i7-940)and laptop(Some random laptop)we had around. Playing TF2 is what got me in PC gaming and computer tech, I now have 600 hours in TF2, 1300 in GMOD, and plenty more in other games. Plus, I upgraded that PC I first got and got a whole new PC(i5 12400f, GTX 1080)to play some other games. Still play TF2 and get stomped in dustbowl 3rd stage.

most of the way through the main campaign of Cyberpunk 2077 again when v2.0 & then Phantom Liberty dropped.

it's like playing a sequel or totally different game the way so much has been revamped.
totally different leveling system and character attributes,
totally different way of using cyberware implants,
clothing/armor totally reworked,
weapon/armor/cyberware mods totally reworked, etc...

pretty much had to create a whole new character and way of playing @ 60+hrs into the game when re-spec'ing and loading up weapon mods and cyberware.
it's still an awesome game and some gameplay aspects have been improved along with some new graphics effects, but it's definitely weird figuring the game out all over again this far along into a second playthrough.

Last edited:

rambo919

Great
Sep 21, 2023
Freedoom, Duke Nukem 3D, Deus Ex in the near future.... all highly modded.

New games just don't really get gaming for the most part.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I made 3 playthroughs of Starfield, then I thought lets play F1, so I finished another season whilst doing so I also played some Cyberpunk 2077.

Looking forward to some more new games! And whilst doing just that I'll hopefully play some new playthroughs of some of the previously mentioned favorites!

Reactions: Order 66
Oct 10, 2023
I made 3 playthroughs of Starfield, then I thought lets play F1, so I finished another season whilst doing so I also played some Cyberpunk 2077.

Looking forward to some more new games! And whilst doing just that I'll hopefully play some new playthroughs of some of the previously mentioned favorites!

Starfield has turned out to be a total failure for me, even though I was very excited to buy it. There is nothing of exp`loración, navigation through space is very boring and is not what I expected.

Cyberpunk seemed very very good at the beginning but the illusion lasted me 5 minutes, because when I saw that I could slow down the time to kill all the enemies is something that I didn't like at all... It makes the game very easy...

The F1 did keep me entertained for a while, but not for long. In the end I went back to the usual games, to my beloved Aion Classic that never fails XD

Last edited: