Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 137 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am still very much on the fence about Starfield. I am glad I got it for free. I feel sort of like it is going to end up being like Death Stranding with a lot less fanboi on Norman Reedus (lol). I honestly feel like some of the cut scenes in the latter title needed some corny 70's bow-chicka music.

Baldur's Gate 3 is astoundingly fun. Been spending almost all my game time on it. I really enjoy it better doing multiplayer like D&D is supposed to be.

CP77 looks so nice that I load and play it just to wander around Night City. I just picked up an RX7800XT and the Ray Tracing ultra setting is default. In this case I am really glad my monitor worked with the Free Sync thing. I am getting about 50FPS with everything turned up including crowd density and it is smooth as butter. My previous card performed a little better with the RT stuff (a 3070) but had to turn a few things down and in particular the crowd.

I also like to load in Shadow of the Tomb Raider because it is a great looking game as well. I got up to the parts where everything is a puzzle to proceed, and I am just not into that type of gameplay. It is sort of reminiscent of one of the war games I used to play where you are fighting, fighting...then the bridge is out and if you didn't hit a very specific key sequence you would fall in and die.

I am still really into Division 2. It is pretty cool that they have kept releasing updates and making small changes to the maps such as different entry doors and such things. This is another title that I have gotten well up into the levels/clearing the "bad guys" and am now just stuck where I cannot seem to get ahead of them taking over the map every time I save and come back to play again.

Reactions: artk2219 and iTRiP

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I've been playing a little bit of Starfield, but mainly Star Wars Fallen Order, because I wanted to play Jedi survivor, but I discovered I would need to play Fallen Order first.

I have the games from Battlefront up to nearly the recent...I cannot recall the name right now, the one where you start out doing the ship breaking job. They play really well and are quite enjoyable.

One I forgot to mention was Stray. What a super fun and chill game to play. Very immersive, looks great, not particularly hard in most places.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I have the games from Battlefront up to nearly the recent...I cannot recall the name right now, the one where you start out doing the ship breaking job. They play really well and are quite enjoyable.

One I forgot to mention was Stray. What a super fun and chill game to play. Very immersive, looks great, not particularly hard in most places.
The game you are thinking of is Fallen Order.

Colif

Win 11 Master
This isn't a new game... its so old I have been using an avatar based on it for as long as I been here.
See the likeness?
6WZPLpy.jpg

looks much better at 1440p than it did on playstation... had it 3 times now, PS3, PS4 & now PC. As many times as I bought Diablo 3... same hardware too.

Sun looks cool
CvgeJQp.jpg

in case you care: https://store.steampowered.com/app/638230/Journey/

Reactions: artk2219

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Starfield for me on my Xbone and even then ive been more thrilled with spaceship building than the story or anything else...

bought the cyberpunk 2077 expansion but im kinda MEH about doing a full new run to do the expansion
( i know i can just start the expansion on a old save which i have just cant muster the motivation to do the full run that i would like to do :( )

Reactions: artk2219

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
still playing Genshin.

now exploring the Court of Fontaine, the Nation of Justice. This country is inspired by France and a bit of Italy. Or more like, take French people and put them in Italy.

Aquabus ride. No fighting here, just watching the scenery.

View: https://youtu.be/NHrtQudIZw4?si=BEz3tSDiTit7oI7U

fight with Coppelia and Coppelius. Nope, not a fight to the death. I was just helping Mailardet test out his ice skating robots. Still a tough fight.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sgZ8DvnB0E

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Playing Green Hell, again. This game is very playable, especially with the new / recent additions. The devs are very responsive, and almost 5 years after release, they're still quite involved.

The original story line is excellent and with really good voice acting, especially the lady whose voice is Mia's. One can really feel the pain and suffering in her voice.

Other games that are very-repayable: Bioshock, Bio Shock Infinite, the Dishonored series and Sniper Contracts..

Dec 1, 2023
I got pretty bored with Starfield after my first NG+. Just picked up Robocop…. It has some good looking features, but it’s mostly fun to continue his story.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Finally completed my playthrough of AC: Valhalla, at first it seemed so overwhelming, but once I found going back for more raiding and exploring it turned out to be lots of fun, I had to use a trainer because some of the game seemed really unplayable when I got to where I was at and what I wanted to play at that particular point.

None the less more gained, but I did think that the dev's could have programmed the combat better, would have been better if it were more like AC: Odessey, for me it seemed more of the combat was dumbed down like my experience of AC: Origins, maybe I was missing that you had to upgrade skills or whatever or something, for one I can't grasp why if it were meant to have better fighting moves via upgrades or using other weapons why these things aren't given to the player automatically without choice.

I also played some DiRT Rally 2.0, for me the only cars that are enjoyable to drive are the NAH4 class cars, I've made tons of credits playing the weekly and monthly events, another favorite game I went back to often was F1 2022, it's great fun competing head to head with my teammate, got the AI on 47! Real close racing.

Then still going for 1mil+ rep plus cop escapes nights in NFS: Heat, that's great fun, got the game set to hard.

Besides that I got into the DLC for Watch Dogs Legion, now whats it called again? oh right, blood something or other, well anyway that is really entertaining gameplay.

Oh right and last but not least, in my Euro Truck 2 playthrough, witch isn't actually a playthrough but rather playing for ever and ever without no end to it besides having driven all roads and picked up and unloaded all the possible freight types and delivered it to the various locations, I had really great time finally making my loan of 500.000 Euros witch I got right at the beginning of play paid in full, this was quite an interesting way to play this game, borrowing money to get a couple of my own trucks and drivers at the very start and then playing to reach this goal of paying off the dept, makes me wonder what level I would have been now if all my playthroughs where combined.

Lastly favorite game, GTA V online, cant believe I nearly got 60Mil GTA $, well legitly made of course via just playing ever so often and just enjoying the game as it where meant to be done... looking forward to the new DLC this holiday season, just bothered that I'm going to have to fork out some of my hard earned money to get going into that new venture.

Edit: just viewed the GTA VI trailer, now that looks like it could be my favorite game, If I ever live to play it, jesus christ why don't they just release it now, seems like it could already make big bucks and they can just add and fix whatever later on right, lets have new games right now! (I'm already ready for an 750GB plus download and I have the free space on my drive right now, who is with me? I say lets the gaming awesomeness commence... give people an actual reason to upgrade and build new pc's, force the hardware manufactures to actually make hardware that is worth all that money they asking for that!

Last edited:
Finally completed my playthrough of AC: Valhalla...
..., but I did think that the dev's could have programmed the combat better, would have been better if it were more like AC: Odessey, for me it seemed more of the combat was dumbed down like my experience of AC: Origins...

I don't like the feel of the combat much either, but IMO it's clearly worse than Origin's combat. At first Origins felt a bit clumsy to me compared to previous ACs, but once I got the hang of shield blocking, it felt very good.

With Valhalla timing blocks is noticeably harder, which just makes it feel unnecessarily clumsy.

One thing that has brought new excitement into my gaming lately is finally being able to enjoy games with good HDR implementation now that I have a new display that supports it well. I was playing Resident Evil 4 Remake and was totally blown away by how much better it looks! 😍

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023
Operation Flashpoint: Resistance, TES II: Daggerfall Unity version, 7 Cities of Gold, and Steel Panthers World at War are my recurring go to games; been playing some Ghost Recon Breakpoint; not as good as Wildlands; but still pretty fun

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Ive started playing New World again ..

yeah so finished lvling my character to 65 what 2 years after release .. got the bored log in play for 10 minutes log out till i just stopped ..

Only just started playing a few days ago and im already bored again :)

Maybe ive gone past my point of playing games now "life happens " or just find my self not with the attention i once had to sit for near on 24/7 playing a single game !!

still got phantom liberty expansion on the ps5 ive not touched !! wanted to do a full play though then the expansion get a few hours in to it and turn it off :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RolandOlifant

plusev

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2014
I picked up BFV during the Black Friday sale, and let me tell you, as far as casual shooters go, it was a breath of fresh air compared to the crap that plagues the AAA industry today. Admittedly, I never bought it when it was relevant out of spite, but it's tough to beat the titles DICE used to churn out around that era. BF3/BF1 still take the cake as my favorite battlefield titles, however.

Since upgrading platforms, I've actually been tempted to pick up Phantom Liberty, but I think I might hold off until the 4090 super launches, as they will come with the revamped 12V-2×6 connector. I typically play single-player games with all the eye candy cranked to max anyway, and I know my poor 3090 won't be adequate enough to quench my thirst.

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance, TES II: Daggerfall Unity version, 7 Cities of Gold, and Steel Panthers World at War are my recurring go to games; been playing some Ghost Recon Breakpoint; not as good as Wildlands; but still pretty fun

Yeah the drastic changes Ubi made to GR from Wildlands to Breakpoint have still kept me from buying Breakpoint. I have to say though, their Avatar game looks like it's going to be pretty good. It's already getting raves from Digital Foundry.

Reactions: RolandOlifant
Dec 3, 2023
Yeah the drastic changes Ubi made to GR from Wildlands to Breakpoint have still kept me from buying Breakpoint. I have to say though, their Avatar game looks like it's going to be pretty good. It's already getting raves from Digital Foundry.
I will say I hate the survival crap and the lack of being able to just spawn vehicles and rebels etc.; but the gunplay, gameplay, and game world are still incredible. And the performance is way better; though I've been sticking to DX11 as Vulkan crashes a lot for me in this game; but the gains in DX11 are fantastic; avg FPS with my i9 10920X and RX 7900XT is 124/114/86 FPS @1920x1080/3440x1440/3840x2160 in Breakpoint and only 59/55/60 in Wildands. Even my older Titan Xp, 1080Ti, and Titan X Pascal cards get around the 60FPS average mark max settings in Breakpoint @3440x1440.

Even my old i7 920@3.8Ghz gets 58FPS average in Breakpoint @3440x1440 with the RX 7900XT vs the very underwhelming 31 FPS in Wildlands with the same card.

Last edited:
I will say I hate the survival crap and the lack of being able to just spawn vehicles and rebels etc.; but the gunplay, gameplay, and game world are still incredible. And the performance is way better; though I've been sticking to DX11 as Vulkan crashes a lot for me in this game; but the gains in DX11 are fantastic; avg FPS with my i9 10920X and RX 7900XT is 124/114/86 FPS @1920x1080/3440x1440/3840x2160 in Breakpoint and only 59/55/60 in Wildands. Even my older Titan Xp, 1080Ti, and Titan X Pascal cards get around the 60FPS average mark max settings in Breakpoint @3440x1440.

Even my old i7 920@3.8Ghz gets 58FPS average in Breakpoint @3440x1440 with the RX 7900XT vs the very underwhelming 31 FPS in Wildlands with the same card.

Why no mention of the 13700KF in your sig? It should be better than any of the CPUs you talked about.

Last edited:

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
I've been playing Witchfire recently. I can't stop. It's so much fun!
It's exclusive to the Epic store (I bought it using Epic's -33% on orders over $15 coupon, during Black Friday.) It's also in early-access at the moment. It only has 2 levels (6 total are planned), 7 weapons (I think 40 planned), but most of the core mechanics are in place and work really well. It was released ~3 months ago, and they plan on having a 12-16 month early-access period.

If you're not familiar with it, it's by The Astronauts. A 12-person team (which is growing since Witchfire launched.) They previously made The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Prior to that, most of the team worked for People Can Fly, who made Painkiller and Bulletstorm. So naturally, Witchfire has some unique and really satisfying gunplay. Like Ethan Carter, they use photogrammetry for creating models and textures - which is the process of 3D-scanning real-life objects/locations by taking tons of pictures of them and using software to turn it into a textured 3D model. It looks fabulous.

It's a roguelite. Killing enemies gives you volatile witchfire, which is like XP points you can spend to level up (you can only level up at your home base.) There are also "arcane" skills that you can earn, but only for the current run, and they disappear when the run ends. If you die, you lose all of your volatile witchfire, but you can recover it from your gravesite on the next run. To keep your volatile witchfire, you must exit the level safely through a portal. Death doesn't make you lose your stat levels, weapons, or crystalized witchfire...

The two available levels are massive; each one is roughly the size of the entirety of Ethan Carter. And they are really gorgeous, and well-designed. Combat is insane, hectic, and satisfying. Enemies are in groups, and are very deadly, so you have to think and move very quickly. The dodge button is really important, and your temporary arcane skills give you lots of useful effects like elemental damage, larger magazines, and much much much more. You can carry a couple of spells to help you in combat, like stunning enemies, or setting up a lightning pole that shocks enemies in its radius and locks them in place. The guns look, sound, and feel really awesome - and they get permanently upgraded just by using them a lot.

Despite having just launched in early-access, the two huge levels have given me plenty of play time. I've put about 24 hours into it over the last ~2 weeks. The gameplay is solid and firefights are a blast. It works really well, and I haven't really encountered any glitches. The core stuff is there, and the fun is there -- they just need to increase the amount of content, and they want to tweak things based on community feedback. This game shows a lot of promise, and I think that once it's done, I'm guessing in early 2025, it will be a really fantastic full game.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
This is how i prepare resources to research and upgrade stuff in Starfield. Suit bench - research comp - weapon bench. Have the containers close so i can grab everything and not have far to walk being encumbered. I started out writing stuff down and sifting through each case to find what i needed lol. This is much faster, especially doing multiple resource/upgrade tasks. Once done i just put everything back.

AjMOD66.jpg

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
saw this bundle on humble bundle they added today

it says "metroidvania" games but none of them are from the metroid series. i thought that's what that term meant. clearly it does not, so would anyone be willing to enlighten me as to what a "metroidvania" game actually means :)

just one of those random things that popped up i'd like to know more about if possible

thanks