Question How to maintain a GPU for as long as possible ?

May 9, 2024
Hey everybody.

I recently bought two RTX3090 and a Corsair 1600W power supply to build a render computer for a 3D project.

The project is now coming to an end and those two 3090s have both worked around 700-800 hours in the last ten weeks, averaging 70°C for the top GPU and 85°C for the bottom GPU. (I plan on buying a PCIE extension to use the vertical slot my case offers, thus spacing the two cardsand giving them more room to breathe).

Now, i'd like to know how I can keep those two GPUs up and running for as long as i can while still using them at 90-100% of their capacity. Are there some things I have to know about GPU cleaning, thermal damage recovery/prevention, etc...

Thanks everybody.

Martin :)

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing particular outside of keeping them cool and clean.

I suppose you could set lower power limits and sacrifice a little performance for a drop in temperature.

Perhaps water cooling if you want the best possible chance of longevity while maintaining full capability.

May 9, 2024
Nothing particular outside of keeping them cool and clean.

I suppose you could set lower power limits and sacrifice a little performance for a drop in temperature.

Perhaps water cooling if you want the best possible chance of longevity while maintaining full capability.
That would be a really wise way to go about it.
Thanks for the idea !

Main things are have reliable power to them and keep them cool. Keep an eye on the fans and make sure those stay in good working order and plenty of airflow in the case they are in or if they aren't in a case, keep them dusted out and a cool temperature. There's a good reason that data centers usually stay around 68-70 degrees.

Reactions: martinmigeot