Question My CPU has low usage but really high temperature ?

Oct 2, 2023
I am having some issues with my first own custom build., which I built myself.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

At idle:

CPU usage: 4-6%
Temp: 58-65C
GPU: RX7800xt
Usage: 3-6%
Temp: 42-47C

In-game (RDR2 or Hogwarts Legacy):

CPU usage: 45-72%
Temp: 90-96C
GPU: 70-89%
Temp: 72-81C

My CPU temp is so high i am afraid to play games. On idle my CPU power draw is 20.6 watt , temp 61 degree, CPU volt 1.0 , CPU Freq 2.9Ghz, CPU Util 18% Sys mem util 4.8 GB. I have a huge ATX case with 4 fans properly working 3 in and 1 out on back. CPU cooler is stock. i have disable my over clock on bios from 4.6 Ghz to 3.7 Ghz but still did not effect that much on the temps. Every time i see my GPU temp the CPU temps will be like 9-10 degree higher always even it usage is like minute. Can anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

I am having some issues with my first own custom build., which is build my myself.

My CPU ryzen 5 5600x on idle

CPU usage: 4-6%
Temp: 58-65' degree
GPU: RX7800xt
Usage: 3-6%
Temp: 42-47 degree

On Game: RDR2 or Hogwarts Legacy

Temp: 90-96 degree
GPU: 70-89%
Temp: 72-81 Degree

My CPU temp is so high i am afraid to play games. On idle my CPU power draw is 20.6 watt , temp 61 degree, CPU volt 1.0 , CPU Freq 2.9Ghz, CPU Util 18% Sys mem util 4.8 GB. I have a huge ATX case with 4 fans properly working 3 in and 1 out on back. CPU cooler is stock. i have disable my over clock on bios from 4.6 Ghz to 3.7 Ghz but still did not effect that much on the temps. Every time i see my GPU temp the CPU temps will be like 9-10 degree higher always even it usage is like minute. Can anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

replace the cpu cooler and actual case.?

Thermalright Assassin King 120 SE​

or

cpu is causing the gpu to get hot as well.

Reactions: Nadeem669
Oct 2, 2023
My CPU have the stock cooler from AMD. Case fans are not good i have been thinking of changing the case fans because i cannot alter those fans as they are static and it is powered by molex cable.

On Game: RDR2 or Hogwarts Legacy

Temp: 90-96 degree
This is not low usage.
Games need high clocks and high clocks produce high temps.
The CPUs are made to automatically increase clocks until they hit the temp limit and that limit for AMD is 95 so unless the clocks drops significantly below what they should be everything works as expected.
i have disable my over clock on bios from 4.6 Ghz to 3.7 Ghz but still did not effect that much on the temps.
What exactly did you change here? For most bios unless you specifically turn off the auto overclocking features, individual changes will not be applied.
Did you actually look at clocks during gaming and did they actaully change from before?

For the temps at idle it could just be that the fan curve is set to quiet because you have the stock cooler that is pretty loud and you don't need super good cooling when the cpu is not doing anything.

Reactions: 35below0

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Your idle temperature is way too high. The stock cooler should be able to do a better job. Maybe you could re-seat it.
But the price of any Thermalright Assassin is so low, you might as well upgrade.

How much CPU cooler clearance does your case offer?
How tall is your RAM?
What is the room/ambient temperature?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My CPU have the stock cooler from AMD.
The Wraith Stealth kinda sucks. It gets the job done, but no one would say it's great.
I figure you just need to buy a new cooler, like one of the earlier mentioned Thermalrights, although the case does need to be taken into question too.

Needs your permission to view.

if you live in a hot country or state etc id recomend water cooling
The end result is about the same, or slightly worse, so it's not a solution.
The heat energy being dispersed by the PC and mixing with the room air is about the same, but if the device under liquid yields higher performance than it did under air - Ryzen, Geforce, Radeon, Arc - then it uses more energy, meaning the rate it releases heat energy into the air is faster, and thus reaches temperature equilibrium before an air cooled one.

Your link needs google sign in.
List your parts.

What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
I can think of two possibilities:
1. You did not mount the stock cooler well. A common reason is that the cooler is not mounted level.
2. Your case does not supply fresh air to the cooler.

Reactions: 35below0
Oct 2, 2023
Here is the link of my Pc case Ant Esports 220 Air Mid- Tower Computer Case/Gaming Cabinet - Black | Support - ATX, M-ATX, ITX | Pre-Installed 3 x 120mm Front Fans and 1 x 120mm Rear Fan https://amzn.in/d/3FycxdQ

And yes i used the stock cooler. I have also checked my cpu cooler is sit correctly although it was not properly fit. But now i did fixed it properly. Now my cpu temp like 3 degree temp cooler than usual. But it sli think paying Rdr2 with 92 degree temp with cpu 60% usage still too hot.

I think i have some head rooms to fix an air cooler in my case. Also my room temp is 31 degree celsius.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Here is the link of my Pc case Ant Esports 220 Air Mid- Tower Computer Case/Gaming Cabinet - Black | Support - ATX, M-ATX, ITX | Pre-Installed 3 x 120mm Front Fans and 1 x 120mm Rear Fan https://amzn.in/d/3FycxdQ

And yes i used the stock cooler. I have also checked my cpu cooler is sit correctly although it was not properly fit. But now i did fixed it properly. Now my cpu temp like 3 degree temp cooler than usual. But it sli think paying Rdr2 with 92 degree temp with cpu 60% usage still too hot.

I think i have some head rooms to fix an air cooler in my case. Also my room temp is 31 degree celsius.
That would explain high temperature at idle.

Look for a Thermalright Peerless Assasin or Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO. Either of those coolers will do a much better job than the stock cooler.
The stock cooler is ok as long is the work isn't too demanding, but considering your high temperature, you need a stronger air cooler.

Reactions: NedSmelly
Bad pc case.
Closed front panel seals off any air intake.
Front fans can't do anything. They're there just for rgb bling (no function).

Either remove front glass panel or get a new pc case (with proper mesh front).
And get a new cpu cooler.

61wnQ7ghtCL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Phaaze88

Ksan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
It is for sure the CPU cooler, you will need a after market cooler. I wanted to give you my own story in hopes that it may help you out. When I built my new computer I bought a cooler master cheap CPU cooler, and I was getting very high temps too. After talking with other on the forum here they told me that my cooler would not cool my CPU so I spent the money to buy a Be Quiet dark rock 4 and it was a massive change in the CPU Temp's. So what I'm saying is don't be like me and try to go cheap on your next cooler because in the long run it will cost you more. Just get a good one to begin with. I hope it gets taken care and you can get back to gaming.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
What you think of this cooler ?

deepcool-gammaxx-ag400-plus-cooler

OR

Too weak.

Try:

Oct 2, 2023
Too weak.

Try:

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Can i ask you why it is too weak?

is it due to single tower or it is related to copper pipes?
It's because your ambient temperature is so high. The highest rated air coolers right now are Phantom Spirit EVO and Peerless Assassin, but they seem to be very expensive.
The Arctic Freezer 36 is also a very good cooler, but i haven't seen them on sale in India yet.

With your budget i think the above coolers are going to do the best job.
Having more pipes helps, but the complete build quality of a cooler makes a huge difference.

Read the reviews of coolers you're interested in buying.

Oct 2, 2023
I like the coolers you suggested. But the only thing right now is stopping me to buy is will it fit inside my case? It is a mid tower case.

Ant Esports 220 Air Mid- Tower Computer Case/Gaming Cabinet - Black | Support - ATX, M-ATX, ITX | Pre-Installed 3 x 120mm Front Fans and 1 x 120mm Rear Fan https://amzn.in/d/cIdEkd3

Also will it interfer with rams also.

XPG ADATA GAMMIX D30 DDR4 16GB (1x16GB) 3200MHz U-DIMM Desktop Memory - AX4U3200316G16A-SR30 https://amzn.in/d/2jp8cW0

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ant Esports 220

XPG ADATA GAMMIX D30 DDR4
Up to 160mm tall. I would subtract 1mm off for the cooler's max height to be on the safe side, so 159mm.

https://www.xpg.com/us/xpg/588?tab=spec
It's just under 45mm tall.
Some images of memory clearance on the manufacturer's site, or in completed builds will also help.

You don't necessarily need a dual fan air cooler for a 5600X, but I'd take the front panel of that case and knock the blasted glass out of it if were within my reach... The alternative is a case with a more porous front panel.

Gammaxx AG400 Plus: fits. Also, I think this product has been discontinued. It's not on the official site or in the legacy section, and it looks like the remaining stock is in the hands of 3rd party sellers.
AG620: fits.
Assassin King: fits.
Ice C621: It clears the case height, but I can't find anything on memory clearance; the fan that hovers over the ram can only be raised so far, or the fan clips holding it to the heatsink have nothing left to clip to. I was also getting search results for an Ice C612, which was a single tower. Probably best to skip the C621.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
You don't necessarily need a dual fan air cooler for a 5600X
I agree but the OP lives in a very hot part of the world. With ambient temperatures so high, the cooler needs to be as good as possible in order to keep CPU temperature low. It will also run more quietly.

Here's a few more links:
https://www.flipkart.com/deepcool-ak400-wh-120mm-fan-4-pin-pwm-cooler/p/itmaff7af84de7d1
https://elitehubs.com/collections/pc-coolers/products/deepcool-gammaxx-ag620-120mm-cpu-air-cooler
https://elitehubs.com/collections/pc-coolers/products/deepcool-ak500-cpu-air-cooler-black

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I agree but the OP lives in a very hot part of the world. With ambient temperatures so high, the cooler needs to be as good as possible in order to keep CPU temperature low. It will also run more quietly.
... what defines 'the cooler needs to be as good as possible' here? It's not like a 5600X is hard to cool or even uses much power. You could slap one of those $20 Thermalrights on it and watch it chug along just fine.
The OP's scenario has a lack of air movement and the 'wrong' type of cpu cooler.

The case has little to no possible front air intake. That would make ANY cooler work harder than necessary.

Downdraft air coolers are hindered in cases with no side panel ventilation. In the current market of glass side panels, they just get preheated case ambient air and sloppy seconds from gpu coolers. Their cooling capacity also isn't as high as that of tower air or AIOs. The Wraith Stealths should've only been paired with G SKUs, or perhaps never been a thing... though a Wraith Prism on a 5600X would've suffered in this scenario all the same.

Again, I'd smash the glass on that front panel with a hammer if I could - or if it's possible to return the case and get a better one, do that - and put about a $30(or Rupee equivalent) tower air cooler on it, and call it a day.
There's only so much that can be done to get things comfortable against high room and case ambient, but case airflow is different.