Question Suggestions for realistic single player FPS games?

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Hi, I'm looking for any suggestions for good, realistic, single player FPS games. I prefer war FPS games, especially WWI & WWII, but I'm open to modern war games and even non-realistic FPS games like Doom or Quake too.

Right now I own these FPS games:
Easy Red 2
Battlefield games
The original Medal of Honor
Far Cry 2, 3, 4, and 5
Doom games (old & new)
Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour
(played original Duke Nukem 3D & Doom 1993 when I was a kid)
Wolfenstein collection (the newer games)
Some Zombie shooters

Right now I'm in the mood for a realistic war game that has a good single player mode. I'm interested in the old Call of Duty games but I don't know if they will work on Windows 10, on Steam they only say compatible with Windows 2K & Windows XP only. I know that some old games will work on Windows 10, even if not officially (I enjoy old games as much as new ones).

I'm also interested in Arma 2 and Arma 3 but I don't know if they are good games for single player mode only. Seems like they're mostly for PvP multiplayer from what I can tell but on Steam it does have the Single Player tag.

Does anyone know if the Arma games are good for single player mode only?

I see there's quite a lot of realistic war games out there but most seem to mostly be geared towards multiplayer. I am open to trying many different kinds of FPS games as long as they have good single player mode.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands is pretty awesome, if you don't mind 3rd person like gta. Some aspects are first person though like aiming down scopes. The weapons sound awesome especially firing twin mini guns from the helicopter.

You don't have jump in this game but you do have leap to get over obstacles and fences, minor thing really.

Reactions: Kalnon

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands is pretty awesome, if you don't mind 3rd person like gta. Some aspects are first person though like aiming down scopes. The weapons sound awesome especially firing twin mini guns from the helicopter.

You don't have jump in this game but you do have leap to get over obstacles and fences, minor thing really.
I never tried any of the Tom Clancy games though I have heard good things about them. I've thought about trying Tom Clancy games before, I just never pulled the trigger (pun intended). I'll check it out, thanks for your suggestion.

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Np. If you're an Arnie fan you'll love the easter egg in that game ;P
I've always sucked at finding easter eggs in games, it's pretty rare for me to find any in any game.

One of the coolest easter eggs I ever did find in a game though was in the game Anno 1800 when I accidentally pressed Ctrl + Shift + R and suddenly the camera zoomed all the way down from the normal overhead "god" point of view to first person view and on the screen a message breifly appeared saying "easter egg found!"I was so amazed my jaw hit the floor.

Next thing I know I was standing on the street of one of my island cities and I could see close up people walking or doing all kinds of other things, horses pulling wagons and all kinds of other things going on, I could even interact with my AI citizens and there's even first person quests. After I found this secret mode, I spent hours just walking around my cities exploring from the first person point of view :)

I'm also interested in Arma 2 and Arma 3 but I don't know if they are good games for single player mode only. Seems like they're mostly for PvP multiplayer from what I can tell but on Steam it does have the Single Player tag.

Does anyone know if the Arma games are good for single player mode only?
All of the Arma games, except maybe for Reforger, have a single player campaign. But if you're looking for something realistic, you can't get any more realistic than Arma.

I see there's quite a lot of realistic war games out there but most seem to mostly be geared towards multiplayer. I am open to trying many different kinds of FPS games as long as they have good single player mode.
The Sniper Elite series is fun for the most part, if you like sniping in games. You can adjust how much realism you want as well with regards to ballistics.

If you like squad based combat, the Brothers in Arms series is good.

It also looks like the Rainbow Six games (not Siege) are on Steam, if you like slower paced "Counter terrorism" type stuff

If you want something that provides realism with handling firearms, though it requires finger gymnastics sometimes, Receiver 2 is a fun game.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've always sucked at finding easter eggs in games, it's pretty rare for me to find any in any game.

One of the coolest easter eggs I ever did find in a game though was in the game Anno 1800 when I accidentally pressed Ctrl + Shift + R and suddenly the camera zoomed all the way down from the normal overhead "god" point of view to first person view and on the screen a message breifly appeared saying "easter egg found!"I was so amazed my jaw hit the floor.

Next thing I know I was standing on the street of one of my island cities and I could see close up people walking or doing all kinds of other things, horses pulling wagons and all kinds of other things going on, I could even interact with my AI citizens and there's even first person quests. After I found this secret mode, I spent hours just walking around my cities exploring from the first person point of view :)

Haha that's pretty neat :)

Arnie easter egg isn't a chance thing, well kinda, but it's close to the story path so unlikely you'll miss it.

Feb 8, 2024
Sure thing! If you're into realism and immersive gameplay, you absolutely have to check out "Escape from Tarkov." It's a hardcore FPS game that really puts you in the shoes of a mercenary fighting for survival in a war-torn city https://lacontroller.io/. The attention to detail in terms of gun mechanics, ballistics, and environmental effects is unparalleled. Plus, the game has a dynamic economy and a risk-versus-reward gameplay loop that keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's not for the faint of heart, but if you're looking for a true test of skill and strategy, this is it.

Last edited:
If you don’t mind games about the Middle Ages, Kingdom Come Deliverance is an excellent game that basically puts you into the shoes of a peasant boy who’s town is attacked by an army and his parents are killed. You essentially spend the game traveling around doing various missions for the noble etc and getting skills to become a knight and acquiring armor and weapons etc.

Also if you haven’t played them, I found I really liked the gears of war titles. If you subscribe to Microsoft’s pc game pass I think they are on there for 10 a month.

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Sure thing! If you're into realism and immersive gameplay, you absolutely have to check out "Escape from Tarkov." It's a hardcore FPS game that really puts you in the shoes of a mercenary fighting for survival in a war-torn city. The attention to detail in terms of gun mechanics, ballistics, and environmental effects is unparalleled. Plus, the game has a dynamic economy and a risk-versus-reward gameplay loop that keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's not for the faint of heart, but if you're looking for a true test of skill and strategy, this is it.
Thank you for the suggestion, sounds like a very interesting title. I will certainly check out Escape from Tarkov.

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
If you don’t mind games about the Middle Ages, Kingdom Come Deliverance is an excellent game that basically puts you into the shoes of a peasant boy who’s town is attacked by an army and his parents are killed. You essentially spend the game traveling around doing various missions for the noble etc and getting skills to become a knight and acquiring armor and weapons etc.

Also if you haven’t played them, I found I really liked the gears of war titles. If you subscribe to Microsoft’s pc game pass I think they are on there for 10 a month.
I actually have Kingdom Come Deliverance on my Steam wishlist and I do love games that take place in the middle ages. I do own and love games like Medieval Dynasty and Mount and Blade, Warband, just a couple examples.

I will have to pick up Kingdom Come Deliverance for sure. I kind of forgot about this game.

I never tried the Gears of War titles but I will check them out, thank you for your suggestions.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye
Gears of war there are 5-6 of those. Never played them when they were new but discovered them years later and beat all of them.

As far as kingdom come, I will warn you, don’t get frustrated. That game does not hold your hand. At first it’s hard to really do anything with it because your character is just a peasant, so you start out needing to learn basics of fighting, etc etc. Not only are you learning, but your character is also learning skills as well. So even if you master it and restart the game, Henry (your character) may not have enough skill to effectively do what you are asking. So for example just because you have a sword don’t try to fight bandits thinking you’ll win because you’ll likely end up dead until you learn more. I ended up watching a lot of YouTube I think. But the game is a great game and once you get the hang of it and start building your skills and inventory then you will have an easier time.

Also check out mount and blade 2 bannerlord. About the same concept as warband but updated, you build your own army adventuring around etc.

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Gears of war there are 5-6 of those. Never played them when they were new but discovered them years later and beat all of them.

As far as kingdom come, I will warn you, don’t get frustrated. That game does not hold your hand. At first it’s hard to really do anything with it because your character is just a peasant, so you start out needing to learn basics of fighting, etc etc. So for example just because you have a sword don’t try to fight bandits thinking you’ll win because you’ll likely end up dead until you learn more. I ended up watching a lot of YouTube I think. But the game is a great game and once you get the hang of it and start building your skills and inventory then you will have an easier time.

Also check out mount and blade 2 bannerlord. About the same concept as warband but updated, you build your own army adventuring around etc.
I don't mind games that don't hold your hand though I do admit sometimes those types of games do frustrate me, but then I just turn it off and go play something else that's mindless and easy then come back to it later :)

I was interested in Bannerloard but the reviews where not great from what I remember (I don't recall the reasons) which is why I haven't picked it up yet. Maybe I'll have to give it another look.

Kingdom come was one like you mentioned for me I think initially. I think I bought it and didn’t go back to it until a year or two later and just made up my mind I was going to give it a shot. Once I got into the story etc and figured out the basics I was able to follow enough stuff on YouTube etc and got addicted. Hoping they make another one. Which I hear they are.