Question Lian Li UNI Fan SL-Infinity Can i use it as reverse fans instead? better clarification on air cooling please?

Mar 23, 2024

A question for our members just about fans in general how do you guys place them? To exhaust or intake?​

I'm wondering for the Lian Li UNI Fan SL-Infinity - I wanted to place it on the side of my hyte y60 would it be possible to do that? Just to reverse the fans instead! - instead of just purchasing the reverse version of these? Or would i need to purchase the reverse version of the fans to received the best quality out of them?​

So three fans on top using aio fans coming down 120mm - One in the rear 140mm - 2 bottom reverse lian li 140mm - I have difficult time which route i wanna go with.. its deciding if i wanted to go 140mm or 120mm but maybe i'm just sticking 120mm normal lian fans but just to reverse them instead.

Last edited:
It depends on if you care about rgb stuff. The reverse fans are mostly so the led are on the other side. The fan itself really is just the blade and it doesn't matter if you turn the whole fan or turn just the blade...except to turn the blade you need to manufacture it reversed.
Airflow wise it is about the same might be some tiny differences but it is mostly about how the led look.

Reactions: Paperdoc and edp213
Mar 23, 2024
Ah the reverse fans are mostly so the LED are on the other side.. were you talking about the strip? Interesting i was not aware of that. I was aware however 9 blades reverse vs 7 blades normal.

Its funny because i assume it just pulls back in... but maybe i'm wrong.

I have not looked at details of different reverse fans there are a couple of brands that now do this. They do not have to change the number of fins to make it reverse. All that is really different is which side of the plastic they put the center hole on that goes over the motor shaft. It purely is related to how the motor connects with the blades. If there is a difference in the fin count then that is a separate consideration which may or may not make any difference.

If you ignore the mounting frame and the leds all that is different is the motor position. Since the motor is in the center blocked by the fan hub no matter which directly the blades spin it likely makes little difference.

In the end it is all about appearance. It should make no difference on the performance.

Reactions: edp213
Feb 2, 2024
Many setups are more about looks and when i look at them you just go facepalm. I just have 2 200mm at front and 3 120mm at rear. Dont fall for the negative pressure and postive pressure "science".

Apart from the AIO, the motherboard needs cooling- particularly the VRM and chipsets. The wonderful people at ASUS thought it was a good idea to not include a large mass heatsink with sizable surface area for my chipsets, so they sit at 81degrees at toomtemp at idle. No room for typical heatsinks as the GPU is enormous but they not smart enough to design a different shaped heatsink. So this is where cross breeze from front to rear helps but needs alevated fan rpm, better to just turn down current flow in power managment, cant see any performance loss. The motherboards today get very hot and need a strong cross breeze with a wide high volume of air and so many setups out there are just not gonna do that. That is why i went a large case with big fans as my system is overengineered and will cope easily.

With powerful cpus the motherboard also conducts some of the heat away.
My 4080 has such large heatsinks that a gently cross breeze is very suffiecent at keeping it cool with the three fans blow down combining into the bottom air stream exhausted out the back lower 120mm.

If the AIO is being exhausted to the top this can interfere with the cross breeze especelly if thye volume/capacity is small like on medium sized cases. I use an air cooled cpu cooler, it has a medium size mass and the cross breeze is abstructed by the rgb strimer, but yet it still easily performs well over 90% as good as the best water coolers.

So large pc case means a stable system that is cool and reliable.