News AMD increases Instinct MI1300 sales guidance to $4 billion — pales in comparison to Nvidia's $40B projection

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends how you look at it. Keep in mind that the people buying these devices expect a return on that investment.

AMD: 233 Billion market cap. 6 billion in revenue last year, only 667 million net profit. ~26000 employees

Nvidia 2.15 Trillion market cap. 22 billion in revenue last year, 12.28 billion net profit. Also ~26,000 employees

As usual contractors, suppliers, etc and all their employees not listed, so how many people actually directly make a living off of their production is harder to put a figure too.

But it shows you a rough estimate how much money it takes to turn a relatively small profit.

ekio

Reputable
Mar 24, 2021
Since when, in a sane world, 4 billion is *pale* in comparison to anything ?

What's the point of this article? Hey look, they are ridiculous, they are only very rich compared to other ones that are super very rich ?

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
Isn’t getting 10% of the sales Nvidia is getting basically a straight up 9% market share gain from zero? That’s actually encouraging considering Nvidia was the only show in town.

Reactions: prtskg

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
Depends how you look at it. Keep in mind that the people buying these devices expect a return on that investment.

AMD: 233 Billion market cap. 6 billion in revenue last year, only 667 million net profit. ~26000 employees

Nvidia 2.15 Trillion market cap. 22 billion in revenue last year, 12.28 billion net profit. Also ~26,000 employees

As usual contractors, suppliers, etc and all their employees not listed, so how many people actually directly make a living off of their production is harder to put a figure too.

But it shows you a rough estimate how much money it takes to turn a relatively small profit.
Just for the record, Nvidia has 30,000 employees. Not 26,000. The AMD number is right. Considering Nvidia concentrates EVERYTHING on GPGPU computing and Radeon is a tiny shithole in the closet of the CPU department at AMD, it’s kind crazy AMD gets as close as they do in overall GPU performance. Intel…the less said the better.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just for the record, Nvidia has 30,000 employees. Not 26,000. The AMD number is right. Considering Nvidia concentrates EVERYTHING on GPGPU computing and Radeon is a tiny shithole in the closet of the CPU department at AMD, it’s kind crazy AMD gets as close as they do in overall GPU performance. Intel…the less said the better.
I used 2023 numbers, no idea if they are accurate (they rarely are) I worked for a fortune 500, I was never counted amongst its employees. Ratio of contractors to employees was about 1.5 to 1, not including suppliers.

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
I used 2023 numbers, no idea if they are accurate (they rarely are) I worked for a fortune 500, I was never counted amongst its employees. Ratio of contractors to employees was about 1.5 to 1, not including suppliers.
I also work for a Fortune 500. I have zero ideas what our numbers are. I’m quite sure I’m counted as a contractor though.

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
I wonder if this will get AMD around to fixing the leftover locals vulnerability that specifically affects the MI300 series in the context of LLMs?
https://www.amd.com/en/resources/product-security/bulletin/amd-sb-6010.html
Not really the best for AI cloud providers.
I wonder if this will get AMD around to fixing the leftover locals vulnerability that specifically affects the MI300 series in the context of LLMs?
https://www.amd.com/en/resources/product-security/bulletin/amd-sb-6010.html
Not really the best for AI cloud providers.
I’m quite sure the MI300 is going mostly to private businesses that don’t want to shell out Nvidia prices. Why would a cloud provider dealing with LLM training want to sell anything other than Nvidia currently? As someone who’s played around with ML a fair amount, Nvidia has such a performance advantage currently that AMD instances would have to be like 1/4 of the price per hour. Maybe even cheaper when you consider how much more work is involved with getting ML stuff running on AMD.