Discussion ABS Eurus Aqua gaming pc with Gigabyte z790 ud ac crashing and BSOD

Apr 26, 2024
4090 wind force v2
Intel i9 14900ks
Board as mentioned
64 gb ram 2x32

Steam games(some of the forest destiny) play but experience intermittent crashes. Maybe 4 in 2 days game just closes.

Gamepass games(remnant, grounded,starfield) won’t even boot load for 2 seconds fans get loud and either get error message: out of video memory trying to allocate a resource OR BSOD with error code clock watchdog timeout.

Support has said bad gpu, different support said cpu. Internet forums saying problem with motherboard causing cpu issues.

I’m new to all of this my first pc tried to get a really good one and I get this nonsense as my first experience and my lack of knowledge has me frustrated as I have not a clue what to do.

This board supposedly has a a bios update that “fixes” this issue by turning down the power of the cpu¿ The problem is I get a oemid mismatch when trying to install it. Its the correct one downloaded with the help of gigabyte support.

Called abs told me I had a retail board so bios update will work but that’s apparently not the case. And they don’t have any bios files listed anywhere for me to download and this fix supposedly came out two days ago so who knows when it will be available.

In the meantime I’m afraid to play a game thinking I’m slowly destroying my cpu and idk if that also hurts the other parts in the computer.

Not certain anything I even said is the exact issue or problem so anyone with any knowledge who could help me I’d greatly appreciate it.

You're not the first person to have this BIOS update error with that board from ABS so I'm surprised they're claiming it's a retail board. You can try setting the turbo options in the BIOS to "Intel POR" which I believe is supposed to keep it at Intel default as this solved the other person's issue and wait for a proper BIOS.

Reactions: Icarry2
Apr 26, 2024
You're not the first person to have this BIOS update error with that board from ABS so I'm surprised they're claiming it's a retail board. You can try setting the turbo options in the BIOS to "Intel POR" which I believe is supposed to keep it at Intel default as this solved the other person's issue and wait for a proper BIOS.

Install CPU-Z, look at the main board tab. Verify the model info.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
I see you’re a moderator I may have found a video from a large channel on YouTube. It’s a 20min long video if you had some free time and could watch it and verify if I do these things I’m not voiding any warranties and it’s safe.

I believe he also talks about the intel POR settings which are an improvement but still outside of intels recommended numbers.

Essentially they are saying that the cpu is set to draw unlimited power. My motherboard has PL turbo 1 and 2 settings set at 4095 watts for both levels. Intel specs say those settings should be at 125 and 253 watts. When he runs cinebenxh with the default settings the cpu thermal throttles and gets over 100c and fails.

The fix is to manually go in and set an entire sections settings to auto from default which then lets you manually change those numbers while also setting a bunch of other settings to auto from default.

Another problem is I believe my problem is getting worse. My steam game wouldn’t launch yesterday and when it did it ran for 5 minutes and then crashed and I haven’t even attempted to play again since.

I also ran intels extreme tuning program that was suggested to me by intel support to benchmark my cpu. Running that I watched the cpu usage go up to 100% and crash within 3 seconds.

Here is the video, for you or anyone willing to watch it and help make sense of it for me:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HIubZYwBfPc

Apr 26, 2024
Yes I saw that as a possible fix but the intel POR levels are still too high but 100% better than what it is at now. I have 30 days to return/refund this computer is what I’ve done up to this point irreversible damage¿ should I request a new pc. Seems to be getting worse as games I could play yesterday either won’t boot or crash within minutes

Apr 26, 2024
I doubt any damage has been done. Shutdowns should have prevented that.

Did you verify the actual motherboard info with CPU-Z as mentioned earlier?
No just woke up and sent what I sent. Will do that and change those settings and respond back to both. Thank you for your help so far.

Apr 26, 2024
Just verifying the actual make/model of your motherboard. Vendors like ABS have substituted items in builds before. Not an uncommon thing.
Manufacturer: gigabyte technology Co. Ltd
Model: Z790 UD AC
Bus Specs: pci-express 5.0 (32.0 gt/s)

Bios: American megatrends international LLC.
Version: f9 YY
Date: 2/5/24

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Apr 26, 2024
Just verifying the actual make/model of your motherboard. Vendors like ABS have substituted items in builds before. Not an uncommon thing.
I downloaded the z790 udac. F10g bios
That needs the F10g version of the BIOS to address your problem. What method did you use to attempt a previous upgrade? From a Windows app or directly in the BIOS (preferred method)?
downlaoded that bios straight from gigabyte. Put on a fat32 formatted flash drive that is 12gb. Went into qflash from bios menu. Clicked the usb icon. Clicked the z790 name of the left hand side it moved it to the right. Clicked it again it moved it down into the bottom. Clicked the right arrow and then hit install or whatever it said at that point. Started running it and got the oemid error

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I downloaded the z790 udac. F10g bios

downlaoded that bios straight from gigabyte. Put on a fat32 formatted flash drive that is 12gb. Went into qflash from bios menu. Clicked the usb icon. Clicked the z790 name of the left hand side it moved it to the right. Clicked it again it moved it down into the bottom. Clicked the right arrow and then hit install or whatever it said at that point. Started running it and got the oemid error
You unzipped the downloaded file, correct?

When you unzip the file, there is a PDF with instructions. Please review those.

Apr 26, 2024
You unzipped the downloaded file, correct?

When you unzip the file, there is a PDF with instructions. Please review those.
Yes I extracted the files. I moved the zip file into the usb, then extracted the files once in the usb. Then deleted the original zip file so only the extracted files remained

Apr 26, 2024
Tracking. What about the PDF instructions?
The pdf tells me to boot in efi shell mode. No idea what that is. The gigabyte rep had me download a different pdf file with instructions for doing it the way
The pdf tells me to boot in efi shell mode. No idea what that is. The gigabyte rep had me download a different pdf file with instructions for doing it the way I was describing to you
also I just followed the steps in that video set my limits to both 253w and 307a and ran the benchmark I tried before and it actually completed this time and didn’t crash! my bencymark score was 12566. i unfortunately dont have a baseline because it wouldnt run before. is thay good for my build? im using the intel exyteme tuning utility benchmark

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Other than making the tweaks mentioned, I would not OC this system at all. Until you get the BIOS matter sorted, anyway. Until that happens, benchmark comparisons are not really helpful.

There are multiple sources that indicate that you'll loose some performance when the "fixed" BIOS is applied. Given the raw potential of your system, this is a relatively minor loss (especially if the system is stable).

Look in your BIOS boot options to see if an EFI boot option is listed there.

Apr 26, 2024
Other than making the tweaks mentioned, I would not OC this system at all. Until you get the BIOS matter sorted, anyway. Until that happens, benchmark comparisons are not really helpful.

There are multiple sources that indicate that you'll loose some performance when the "fixed" BIOS is applied. Given the raw potential of your system, this is a relatively minor loss (especially if the system is stable).

Look in your BIOS boot options to see if an EFI boot option is listed there.
Yes I have no and never had any intentions to OC that was just the test and tuner the intel rep told me to run. The only tweaks I made were the ones I mentioned. My games now run that couldn’t even boot before. Would I be okay running these setting for now until Monday when I can get into contact with a gigabyte and ABS rep about the bios update. AFAIK the update is going to apply these setting anyways or am I misunderstanding what the bios will update will do

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes I have no and never had any intentions to OC that was just the test and tuner the intel rep told me to run. The only tweaks I made were the ones I mentioned. My games now run that couldn’t even boot before. Would I be okay running these setting for now until Monday when I can get into contact with a gigabyte and ABS rep about the bios update. AFAIK the update is going to apply these setting anyways or am I misunderstanding what the bios will update will do
You should be fine at this point. I see little chance of harm running as now configured.

Good luck on Monday.

Apr 26, 2024
You should be fine at this point. I see little chance of harm running as now configured.

Good luck on Monday.
Thank you so much. Just ran sons of the forest knowing the frames I was getting before the changes and after and saw no changes. Idk if that would be a representation of performance loss but if it is there wasn’t any.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thank you so much. Just ran sons of the forest knowing the frames I was getting before the changes and after and saw no changes. Idk if that would be a representation of performance loss but if it is there wasn’t any.
Where you would see drop offs are in benchmarks, not really from a user experience perspective. Sounds like you are stable now. That is a good thing.