Question Advice needed on buying a GPU - - - Do Nvidia GPUs still cause washed-out images ?

Sheikh Tashdeed Ahmed

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
Hello guys! I am trynna make some decisions regarding my next graphics card. Either I'll buy the RTX 4060 or the Rx 7600. I have just one concern that I can't clear by myself. Do Nvidia GPUs still output washed-out colours/images like they used to do before? I have not used Nvidia for almost 4 years. Afaik, Nvidia's software used to limit the RGB range from 0-255 to 16-235. While it could be changed from the driver software for video encode/decode, it can't be changed for Video games processing. So, in video games, the colours with nvidia gpus vs AMD Radeon would look washed out. Seriously looking help on this issue, thanks.

*You may see this post elsewhere, it's because I need help on this issue.

I am currently unemployed but I might be able to manage some cash (even if it is some loans) to buy a new GPU, but I don't want to make a decision and regret it later. All I need is clarification on this issue. To me, it is of extreme importance that I see a full range of colour depth RGB on video gaming. Aesthetic lover.

Please feel free to ask me any questions if you feel appropriate.

Honestly, I wasn't aware that they did have washed-out images. Now, to be fair, I only buy Radeon cards because they offer me what I want for less money so I haven't owned a GeForce card since 2008.

However, my best friend has an RTX 3080 while I have an RX 6800 XT and we're often ribbing each other about it but I honestly haven't noticed a difference in image quality between the two.

Having said that, I would get the RX 7600 because I don't believe in paying more for something just because it's in a green box. ;)

Sheikh Tashdeed Ahmed

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
Honestly, I wasn't aware that they did have washed-out images. Now, to be fair, I only buy Radeon cards because they offer me what I want for less money so I haven't owned a GeForce card since 2008.

However, my best friend has an RTX 3080 while I have an RX 6800 XT and we're often ribbing each other about it but I honestly haven't noticed a difference in image quality between the two.

Having said that, I would get the RX 7600 because I don't believe in paying more for something just because it's in a green box. ;)
Thank you for your input.
I've done some searching and have come up with these data.

This below one as timestamped.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX3BRVimI9E&t=328s

Thank you for your input.
I've done some searching and have come up with these data.

I had heard of that being the case in that era, but I had never seen it.
That's interesting, but is it because they're using a GeForce card or is it just PC in general?

Sheikh Tashdeed Ahmed

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
I had heard of that being the case in that era, but I had never seen it.

That's interesting, but is it because they're using a GeForce card or is it just PC in general?
well, they use the same pc for benching different GPUs. And given that the lighter colours was an issue during gtx 900 series, it might not be a coincidence that the 10 series also has this problem. What I am trynna keen on knowing is if the rtx 40 series also produce washed out colours. I am not talking against any brand here. My need is deep colours. If AMD Radeon is the only vendor that provide that then my choice is limited :|

I have had a 780, 2080S and 3080 in the last 10 years and also owned consoles at the same time and never noticed any washed out colours.

If you want deep colours I would be thinking you want a monitor that supports HDR properly and OLED.

Reactions: artk2219
well, they use the same pc for benching different GPUs. And given that the lighter colours was an issue during gtx 900 series, it might not be a coincidence that the 10 series also has this problem. What I am trynna keen on knowing is if the rtx 40 series also produce washed out colours. I am not talking against any brand here. My need is deep colours. If AMD Radeon is the only vendor that provide that then my choice is limited :|
I honestly wish I could tell you more but I haven't seen any reviews or comparisons in which the reviewers were able to tell a difference in the actual image quality at native resolutions between the two. In fact, one YouTuber named Vex posted a video about his first-ever Radeon, an RX 6700 and he said that, if he wasn't told, he wouldn't know what kind of card was in his PC because the experience was identical.

I recommend watching it because it might be informative. I can say that it's entertaining as hell when he pokes fun at clueless noobs and nVidia fanboys at the start of the video:

There's an option in "Change Resolution" in NVCP to let the OS or the video card figure out colors
iZzwbsz.png

The only reason why the range exists appears to be from TVs. If people are using TVs as monitors, NVIDIA maybe defaulting the color range to "Limited" by default and people just didn't think to look at this.

I feel like also this is something everyone says, but never really proved.

Sheikh Tashdeed Ahmed

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
I honestly wish I could tell you more but I haven't seen any reviews or comparisons in which the reviewers were able to tell a difference in the actual image quality at native resolutions between the two. In fact, one YouTuber named Vex posted a video about his first-ever Radeon, an RX 6700 and he said that, if he wasn't told, he wouldn't know what kind of card was in his PC because the experience was identical.

I recommend watching it because it might be informative. I can say that it's entertaining as hell when he pokes fun at clueless noobs and nVidia fanboys at the start of the video:
Hey man, thank you for this link, regardless of the conclusion, I will try to watch this vid.
Also, I made a request to him try out the MSI Mech Rx 7600 😅. It's currently on top of my wishlist. Was considering the MSI Gaming X RTX 4060 but it's over $100 more expensive in my country 😐

Last edited:
Hey man, thank you for this link, regardless of the conclusion, I will try to watch this vid.
Also, I made a request to him try out the MSI Mech Rx 7600 😅. It's currently on top of my wishlist. Was considering the MSI Gaming X RTX 4060 but it's over $100 more expensive in my country 😐
If you're going to be spending in that range, I would strongly recommend that you get an RX 6700 or 6700 XT instead. The prices should be similar and the extra VRAM on those cards will allow the cards to live longer than the RX 7600.

Sheikh Tashdeed Ahmed

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
If you're going to be spending in that range, I would strongly recommend that you get an RX 6700 or 6700 XT instead. The prices should be similar and the extra VRAM on those cards will allow the cards to live longer than the RX 7600.
This has been the go-to idea of the enthusiastic people in the PC Gaming community. However, the prices of the Rx 6700 XT (Sapphire Pulse) are ~$200 over the Rx 7600. The non-XT is not available here. The Nitro+ is ~$250 more expensive than the Rx 7600 ($350). The distributor of AMD GPUs in my country are money hungry and don't easily reduce prices. They think that we will cave in and pay their artificial inflation. The Nitro+ Rx 6750 XT excites me the most but that one is over $750 here.

This has been the go-to idea of the enthusiastic people in the PC Gaming community. However, the prices of the Rx 6700 XT (Sapphire Pulse) are ~$200 over the Rx 7600.
:oops:.... Yeah, that's...insane. I see why you want the RX 7600 and I would too in that case.
The non-XT is not available here. The Nitro+ is ~$250 more expensive than the Rx 7600 ($350). The distributor of AMD GPUs in my country are money hungry and don't easily reduce prices. They think that we will cave in and pay their artificial inflation. The Nitro+ Rx 6750 XT excites me the most but that one is over $750 here.
Well, I can tell you from literally decades of experience that the brand and model makes little to no difference in the performance of the card. Companies like ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSi, Powercolor, Sapphire and XFX have all been making cards (and/or motherboards) seemingly forever and they all know what they're doing.

Just get the least expensive RX 7600 you can find and enjoy.