Yub

Mar 24, 2024
This past week has been hell for me in trying to fix my pc. But I've learned soooooo much more about PC's. I'll give you the full rundown-

Last week I bought a new Ryzen 5 5500 and stupidly, I didn't know that would mean I have to buy a new motherboard since they use different slots than Intel. So I did just that. And after plugging everything in and pressing start, the EPS connector fried and started smoking - that killed my Power supply of 5 years, since its non modular I couldnt replace the cord, and it also ruined the new mobo ( i got a replacement its ok). I got refunded and bought a name brand MOBO this time, a Asus b450m A II, and a new PSU, a MSI mag a650BN Non- Modular. And i put everything into the PC and turned it on, and all the lights turn on, all the fans turn on, but no display is sent to either of my monitors. In fact, my GPU spins at full speed. I tried everything to fix this, new thermal paste, CMOS reset, New input cords, different monitors, Ram exchange, BIOS flashbacks. I then used an old GPU that ive kept in a box and have never used once, a gt 730, and the same thing happens- so that means my GPU shouldn't be faulty even though 100% fan speed usually points to a faulty GPU. And after all that, I tried with no GPU and using the integrated graphics, still same thing happens.
Something very strange happens when I try to boot it using integrated graphics and without the GPU in the MOBO. After about 15 seconds of the pc turning on, it runs until it starts turning off and on repeatedly until I turn it off. This only happens with no GPU in.

Here is the main reason a novice like me is starting to fully suspect the PSU I received is faulty. I took out the new motherboard and put in my old motherboard with the Intel CPU that was known to be working literally a week ago, and the same exact thing happens. 100% GPU fan speed, no display on either monitor. BUT, my old MOBO has ez debug lights on it and the CPU light was on, but this makes no sense to me seeing that it was working just fine a week ago with my old PSU and I did nothing to it that could have damaged the CPU. I watched this video -
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/HmZ8LQG9nJg?si=2iFFHxiXf0VuFvss
- and this gave me full confidence that my PSU I recieved is defective.

I have already asked for a return on Amazon and am receiving a replacement PSU on Tuesday. Am I right in believing the PSU is defective? Or could I somehow be missing something?