News AMD Announces Threadripper HEDT and Pro 7000-WX Series Processors: 96 cores and 192 threads for Desktops and Workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
My prediction was partly true! Back when rumors were circulating about these chips, I said that I hoped that at least some of these chips had 4+ GHz base clocks and some of them do. I am excited to see how the 7970x performs in cinebench r23.

Reactions: bit_user

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
Bye bye INTEL Sapphire Rapids WS, we barely knew you :ROFLMAO:

The HEDT 7000 series uses the same pricing as the HEDT 3000 series :cool:

New mobos and ECC memory: no biggy when your TCO is between $5,000~$10,000 👍

No doubt the platform price of entry is going to be high here, but it's nice to see both Threadripper lines coming back. I'm pleasantly surprised that AMD didn't raise the prices (on regular TR) to match Intel, and hopefully that'll force Intel to lower theirs (w7-2495X being ~$2200) with the forthcoming EMR release.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I am seeing that the non pro lineup is being put out as a HEDT market segment. While bragging rights are obvious is there anything that will scale to these core counts other than workstation workloads? And of those workloads can anyone justify the cost for the fairly limited reduction in render time from the sub $1000 chips and the framerate penalty from the lower clocks? I can absolutely see some workstation use cases, but at that level I would be leaning towards the pro anyways.

I am seeing that the non pro lineup is being put out as a HEDT market segment. While bragging rights are obvious is there anything that will scale to these core counts other than workstation workloads? And of those workloads can anyone justify the cost for the fairly limited reduction in render time from the sub $1000 chips and the framerate penalty from the lower clocks? I can absolutely see some workstation use cases, but at that level I would be leaning towards the pro anyways.
I said it with the SPR Xeon workstation chip launch and it's true here too: calling these HEDT is a misnomer as they're just budget workstations.

That being said I can certainly understand why someone might opt for the TR over TR Pro. The price of entry difference between TR vs TR Pro is significant much like Xeon W. You'll have more expensive motherboards (Xeon price difference is $200-300 more for 8ch boards), higher minimum amount of DRAM to run the CPU optimally and then the CPU price itself. When all is said and done you're talking somewhere around $1500-1800 more minimum for a 24c TR Pro than 24c TR.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
These new Threadripper CPUs will mostly be used by specialized system integrators such as Puget Systems who build professional graphics-, video editing- and rendering workstations.
I don't think there are too many DIY-folks out there willing to spend 10.000 bucks for the CPU only and risk destroying it by assembling a computer on their own.
But hey, professional graphics or media studios doing lot of compute-intensive rendering, will rejoyce since these new processors will cut their rendering times in half and thus allow them to do twice the work done and earn double the money.

Last edited:

jasonf2

Distinguished
I said it with the SPR Xeon workstation chip launch and it's true here too: calling these HEDT is a misnomer as they're just budget workstations.

That being said I can certainly understand why someone might opt for the TR over TR Pro. The price of entry difference between TR vs TR Pro is significant much like Xeon W. You'll have more expensive motherboards (Xeon price difference is $200-300 more for 8ch boards), higher minimum amount of DRAM to run the CPU optimally and then the CPU price itself. When all is said and done you're talking somewhere around $1500-1800 more minimum for a 24c TR Pro than 24c TR.
I can agree for certain workloads. I tried to look around but does the base support ECC? In the past "Pro" versions were the only ones that supported it. And if so that is where they will get their premium. In HEDT level stuff or non critical renders this doesn't matter at all, but on a heavy lifting engineering based workstation not having ECC parity checking should be a no go.

PlutoDelic

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
If only Ryzen had the PCIE lanes of Threadripper...Or if the base model Threadripper wasn't so exorbitant. The 7945WX would make a killer long term investment, but not for 3x the price of the highest end Ryzen.
Nothing pisses me off more than this. I need a machine i can do extensive network emulation labs (very core and ram demanding), and something i could game on too.

I was full heartedly expecting the 3D's to be Quad Channel, not only were they not, the 7950X3D was half 7800X3D and half 7800X and laughable PCIe lanes. Now we have Threadrippers back at HEDT, but without the 3D cache goodies.

That said, i think the 7970X should've been priced at 7960X one's, and giving some head room for anyone who'd think of jumping 7950x/7950x3D to 7960x.

That long term investment has become so hard to decide for. The market is very fragmented.

I can agree for certain workloads. I tried to look around but does the base support ECC? In the past "Pro" versions were the only ones that supported it. And if so that is where they will get their premium. In HEDT level stuff or non critical renders this doesn't matter at all, but on a heavy lifting engineering based workstation not having ECC parity checking should be a no go.
Yeah they do (like SPR Xeon they require RDIMMs) because these aren't really HEDT chips they're budget workstation chips. AMD's 3xxx also supported ECC (unsure about prior), but I believe it was only required for motherboards that supported the Pro line. Intel was the one who stripped memory capacity and ECC support from their HEDT chips so they could sell them at a cheaper price than the Xeon counterpart without taking away their own market.

not really ...

if you mean to say that mac studio is not even a competition - yes, you are probably right.

and if you mean to say that apple got 192gb memory and 800gbps, Both Nvidia and AMD workstation cards can work in multi GPU config to match that.

rtx8000 based workstations might cost a bit more than 192gb mac studio (8k) but the performance will leave the mac in the dust.

The reason why movie studios use non apple workstations for their unreal engine workstations. The age of Mac computers used to design disney movies are over.

Reactions: P.Amini

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
with that sort of cache and cores does it actually do any good in gaming ??

like in the sense of build the system with the thread ripper and just keep changing GPU's for years and years ??

Reactions: bolweval

like in the sense of build the system with the thread ripper and just keep changing GPU's for years and years ??
We won't know for sure until reviews happen/AMD releases full core data, but they should basically be the same cores as standard Zen 4 Ryzen/Epyc. The listed turbo is lower than desktop, but we don't know how the turbo works on these (desktop uses temperature).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
My sense is that most games like clockspeed more than core count, in which case no.

BTW, I'm not sure how useful the extra L3 will be. I think it's tied to the CCD, meaning you actually need threads to be spread around to the various compute dies, in order to take advantage of it. However, that would hamper inter-thread communication. So, it's not obvious to me how much it'll help.

Reactions: P.Amini

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
My sense is that most games like clockspeed more than core count, in which case no.

BTW, I'm not sure how useful the extra L3 will be. I think it's tied to the CCD, meaning you actually need threads to be spread around to the various compute dies, in order to take advantage of it. However, that would hamper inter-thread communication. So, it's not obvious to me how much it'll help.
was just wondering if for a life span product would there be any merit ( even if crazy ) to building a thread ripper system and siting on it for 10 plus years and just upgrade the gpu to suit your needs over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.