Question AMD Ryzen 7 5800x not booting

Iamsoda

Distinguished
I'm trying to troubleshoot a system that randomly stopped booting and I'm not sure what my next step is.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 5800x cpu
Asus tuff gaming X570 wifi plus Mobo
2x8 dd4 Corsair Vengeance
EVGA 750 G5 PSU
Samsung 1tb 870 evo SSD
RTX 3080 NVidia founders edition

So about a month ago I upgraded the CPU from a 3600X to the 5800x; this required me to update the bios version. I ran some benchmarks and everything was good. Out the blue it stopped booting with a dRam light showing. I tried the old CPU and it worked just fine. I also checked connections, tested the ram in a different system and there wasn't anything to note. I also tried updating the bios to the latest version again. In the process of trying a new PSU, the system stopped booting. I could here a click from the PSU and the backlights were lit up, but no boot. After attempting to jump the PSU pins, I found out the old 24 pin mobo connector has a short. I'm still able to start the system with the old cpu and a new cord, but my question is where do I trouble shoot next? Is the 5800x bad? Is the motherboard not delivering some alternative power that the 3600x doesn't request, but the 5800 does? I don't see burnt pins or any visual damage on the CPU. I also don't see anything obvious on the mobo power caps near the cpu. I can try a burn test on the 3600x, but will that guarantee a new 5800x won't burn out? Do I buy a new mobo or a new 5800x?

Update:
https://www.lifewire.com/atx-24-pin-12v-power-supply-pinout-2624578
Pins 17 and 10 are shorted together

Last edited:
I'm trying to troubleshoot a system that randomly stopped booting and I'm not sure what my next step is.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 5800x cpu
Asus tuff gaming X570 wifi plus Mobo
2x8 dd4 Corsair Vengeance
EVGA 750 G5 PSU
Samsung 1tb 870 evo SSD
RTX 3080 NVidia founders edition

So about a month ago I upgraded the CPU from a 3600X to the 5800x; this required me to update the bios version. I ran some benchmarks and everything was good. Out the blue it stopped booting with a dRam light showing. I tried the old CPU and it worked just fine. I also checked connections, tested the ram in a different system and there wasn't anything to note. I also tried updating the bios to the latest version again. In the process of trying a new PSU, the system stopped booting. I could here a click from the PSU and the backlights were lit up, but no boot. After attempting to jump the PSU pins, I found out the old 24 pin mobo connector has a short. I'm still able to start the system with the old cpu and a new cord, but my question is where do I trouble shoot next? Is the 5800x bad? Is the motherboard not delivering some alternative power that the 3600x doesn't request, but the 5800 does? I don't see burnt pins or any visual damage on the CPU. I also don't see anything obvious on the mobo power caps near the cpu. I can try a burn test on the 3600x, but will that guarantee a new 5800x won't burn out? Do I buy a new mobo or a new 5800x?

Update:
https://www.lifewire.com/atx-24-pin-12v-power-supply-pinout-2624578
Pins 17 and 10 are shorted together
Where are those pins shorted together ? It shouldn't be so as they are +12v and Ground respectively. About processors, 3600x is 65W processor while 5800x is 105W but can go to 120W if pushed.