News AMD's gaming revenue nosedives 48%, not expected to recover until 2025

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
Rumors suggest RX8000 series should be coming, but don't expect it to have all that much improvement over RX7000 series.
  • RX8900 XTX is most likely cancelled to make room for MI300/RDNA5 production
  • N48 and N44 (short for Navi?) seem to be the only two models that will be released for RDNA4
  • N48 (RX8800 XT?) reportedly has 64CU, 256-bit mem bus, 240mm² die size
  • N44 (RX8600 XT?) reportedly has 32CU, 128-bit mem bus, 130mm² die size
  • AMD hasn't been buying up massive amounts of GDDR7, so RX8000 series will most likely get GDDR6
Again, these are rumors, so take it with a grain of salt.

The subtitle on this article is pure speculation, not really into "what if we made a baseless assertion the second thing people read"
Well logically if AMD would release rx 8000 early enough this year then they would recover in the last quarter of this year and not in the next year, if the new cards are buy worthy at all.
So it's not baseless, but it is pure speculation.

And, on some other news, AMD celebrates its 55th anniversary ! :D

https://community.amd.com/t5/corporate/celebrating-55-years-of-amd-innovation/ba-p/681928

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVuJQJA8nIE&t=1s

As AMD turns 55, I am excited to collaborate with world class AMD engineers, customers and industry partners who are guided by a data-centric culture of innovation to usher in the next era of adaptive and high-performance computing.

Mark Papermaster is CTO and EVP of Technology & Engineering at AMD.

Last edited:

user7007

Commendable
Mar 9, 2022
I've bought alot of amd gpu's over the years and I kinda dislike nvidia as a company - so I should be a potential customer.

There were some early recalls on the 7900xtx cooling when it was first released. Scare #1.

Then I heard there were issues with clocks if you used multiple 4k monitors and different refresh rates (I use 3 and one is 120hz/freesync). Total deal breaker for my main pc.

Performance for some things sounded inconsistent, power usage sounded higher. Not ideal.

Can't conveniently (or at all) use it for ai/ml in python. Not ideal.

DLSS/Ray tracing. I don't care much about these, a nice to have at best. But nvidia seems further along here as well.

Probably unrelated, but another pc in my house had a radeon 580 and got occasional blackscreens in r6 siege. The worry was if it's a driver issue and not specific to that particular card then I don't want to risk it. So I went nvidia again to be safe.

Reactions: bolweval

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Rumors suggest RX8000 series should be coming, but don't expect it to have all that much improvement over RX7000 series.
  • RX8900 XTX is most likely cancelled to make room for MI300/RDNA5 production
  • N48 and N44 (short for Navi?) seem to be the only two models that will be released for RDNA4
  • N48 (RX8800 XT?) reportedly has 64CU, 256-bit mem bus, 240mm² die size
  • N44 (RX8600 XT?) reportedly has 32CU, 128-bit mem bus, 130mm² die size
  • AMD hasn't been buying up massive amounts of GDDR7, so RX8000 series will most likely get GDDR6
Again, these are rumors, so take it with a grain of salt.

Let me see, from your post:
  • "Rumors suggest"
  • "most likely"
  • " seem to be"
  • "reportedly has"
  • " reportedly has"
  • "will most likely"
Are you offering any meaningful insights on the subject matter, aside from conjecture based on rumors and your own anti AMD opinion?

Anybody could throw around such assumptions and call it a day!

Reactions: P1nky and artk2219

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
  • "Rumors suggest"
  • "most likely"
  • " seem to be"
  • "reportedly has"
  • " reportedly has"
  • "will most likely"
Are you offering any meaningful insights on the subject matter, aside from conjecture based on rumors and your own anti AMD opinion?
You're too harsh. There is no firm info on this stuff.

Furthermore, if someone is going to share rumors, I'd much rather they be appropriately caveated, as @Notton has done. That way, it's clear to everyone this information is of questionable quality and subject to change or revision. That's not reason not to share it, but it should certainly be so-qualified if/when it is shared.

Last edited:

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
  • "Rumors suggest"
  • "most likely"
  • " seem to be"
  • "reportedly has"
  • " reportedly has"
  • "will most likely"

Anybody could throw around such assumptions and call it a day!
What makes you think I am anti-AMD?
That is a hefty accusation to not back it up with some evidence.

I merely offered all of the rumors floating around right now. They all point to RX8000 series using GDDR6, and not have anything better than a RX 8800XT.

If anything, I a a pro-consumer kind of person. I don't like these anti-consumer pricing that Nvidia has set, and AMD followed. If you somehow think that makes me anti-AMD, then maybe AMD deserves the bashing for ditching consumer gaming GPUs in favor of AI for corporations?

They obviously don't. It makes so little money for them anyhow. Also, they are working hard on APU's that will decimate the low to middle end dGPU's. I kind of get it.
APU focus mostly on laptops (with little effect?). on desktop every time one of those killer APU comes out AMD killed it with high price. people have long wondered why AMD did not equip those decent six core APU with the best iGPU they can but instead lock them to the more expensive segment that is normally in the reach of mainstream user.

Trake_17

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I've bought alot of amd gpu's over the years and I kinda dislike nvidia as a company - so I should be a potential customer.

There were some early recalls on the 7900xtx cooling when it was first released. Scare #1.

Then I heard there were issues with clocks if you used multiple 4k monitors and different refresh rates (I use 3 and one is 120hz/freesync). Total deal breaker for my main pc.

Performance for some things sounded inconsistent, power usage sounded higher. Not ideal.

Can't conveniently (or at all) use it for ai/ml in python. Not ideal.

DLSS/Ray tracing. I don't care much about these, a nice to have at best. But nvidia seems further along here as well.

Probably unrelated, but another pc in my house had a radeon 580 and got occasional blackscreens in r6 siege. The worry was if it's a driver issue and not specific to that particular card then I don't want to risk it. So I went nvidia again to be safe.
I agree. I also dislike Nvidia as a company. AMD has always been more open and broadly honest. That approach makes it harder to create drivers that consistently perform. It cost them against Intel for a long time while Intel used market share to leverage AMD and create sales. AMD has experienced the same shortcoming due to different but similar tactics from Nvidia, imo. Plus I'm getting tired of these "personality" driven mega tech companies. It's not really great for consumers. I jumped onto the green bandwagon for my latest GPU because I wanted to see what the DLSS and ray tracing experience was all about. I'd much rather support AMD because their tactics as a business are just more fair and honest and transparent.

What is frankly shocking to me is how little the fried rtx 4090 situation has affected Nvidia

Reactions: artk2219
Considering how AMD is trailing nVidia's pricing while offering (on paper) less than them on several fronts, I don't see this as a shocking revelation.

I'm saying this as recently swapping my Vega64 (gotta update the sig!) for a 7900GRE (which is hella good, BTW) and performing excellent for the price.

The fact the 7800XT and, specially, 7700XT were just "meh" on launch doesn't help. They need cheaper cards or they'll just sit on shelves. People doesn't have the kind of money to spend when things have skyrocketed.

I've mentioned this before, but how can they expect you to buy a $1000 toy? Because that's what it is for people not using it for work. Sure, there's more expensives hobbies and all that, but it's even worse when you compare it to other things you could in fact do. Cost of opportunity and all that.

I'm also willing to say nVidia hasn't had spectacular sales this gen for the same reason, compared to past gens.

What does the Steam Survey says? As flawed as it is, it still gives some perspective to how the DYI+SI+OEM market is moving.

Regards.

suryasans

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
This is the expected consequence of bad decisions by AMD itself. AMD's bread and butter for Radeon division were its low end segment in Navi 2* generations, Graphics cards based on Navi 23, the Radeon RX 6600/50 XT. The middle range of current rdna 3.0 based Graphics cards did not get the same treatment like its predecessor. AMD did not use the latest TSMC 4 nm process for navi 33, so it would not be competitive againt NVIDIA's AD106/107 Graphics cards.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is the expected consequence of bad decisions by AMD itself. AMD's bread and butter for Radeon division were its low end segment in Navi 2* generations, Graphics cards based on Navi 23, the Radeon RX 6600/50 XT.
Let's not forget how favorably the RX 6950 XT compared against the RTX 3090!

The middle range of current rdna 3.0 based Graphics cards did not get the same treatment like its predecessor. AMD did not use the latest TSMC 4 nm process for navi 33, so it would not be competitive againt NVIDIA's AD106/107 Graphics cards.
Nvidia didn't use TSMC N4, it used 4N, which was a N5-derivative that I think still wasn't as good as N4. Using N4, back when RDNA3 was launched, would've made it too expensive and I doubt it would've helped that much.

I think a big reason RDNA3 didn't hold up well against RTX 4000 is that Nvidia added way more L2 cache, while AMD cut back on Infinity Cache and decoupled it more from the rest of the chip. AMD also devoted more of its silicon budget to AI (via the WMMA instructions) and ray tracing, rather than simply continuing to focus on improving raster performance.

The whole "chiplet" experiment seems to have been valuable for AMD, but I think they slightly jumped the gun. Had they kept with monolithic, they probably would've been a bit more competitive.

AMD doesn't care about the low end DIY desktop user segment, by releasing NAVI 33 GPU IC on the last gen TSMC 6 nm.
Most of RDNA2 was TSMC N7. Only the RX 6400 and RX 6500 XT were made on N6.

Reactions: gg83