News Apple debuts M4 processor in new iPad Pros with 38 TOPS on neural engine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
While that is big, it's not replacing a college student or college research anytime soon. It can certainly augment those activities and make them way more efficient/productive, but it's not a replacement. I don't think we will get to replacing humans this decade and maybe even not the decade after that.

MLM's ability to index data and discover patterns is amazing and will definitely be useful in the decades to come, especially in data science. Providing the model with historical reports and data, it can then predict with fairly good accuracy what is most likely to happen next. The NLM side of things makes human machine integration easier, the ability for a chat or voice bot to analyze a prompt and figure out what the most likely course of action is. Personal AI secretaries and assistants are going to be very big soon, especially if they can be divorced from "cloud data farming" and run locally in private locations.

Reactions: artk2219
Jul 7, 2022
I agree. As someone who works with ML daily, ML can do impressive things, but going from what we have today to being able to run the world is a massive leap that is unlikely to happen in 10 years. I do however see lots of uses for what we have today, especially for games and general applications, but being able to run Excel completely for you with zero knowledge of what it's doing... Only if you don't mind it bankrupting the company before you know it.
It’s funny you should say that “with zero knowledge of what it’s doing”. That is my greatest long term fear of AI (real AI, not ML/LLM/DL which I term ABI aka artificial barely intelligence) that in 100 years time or 1000 years time it becomes so ingrained and relied upon that people will no longer understand what AI is doing. How will people, who no longer require any know-how, knowledge, or specialization, be able to monitor the AI to ensure it isn’t enacting some AI hair brain scheme it came up with and start delicately pulling strings to get pesky humans out of its way. I know, my worries are very Sci-Fi lol.

I just hope we retain our knowledge of how these AI systems works and how to be proficient in all the tasks which become automated by AI. Cause it’s either that, or we can pray to the machine spirits and throw anointed oils on the AI in the hopes it will hear our prayers and fix itself.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
MLM's ability to index data and discover patterns is amazing and will definitely be useful in the decades to come, especially in data science. Providing the model with historical reports and data, it can then predict with fairly good accuracy what is most likely to happen next. The NLM side of things makes human machine integration easier, the ability for a chat or voice bot to analyze a prompt and figure out what the most likely course of action is. Personal AI secretaries and assistants are going to be very big soon, especially if they can be divorced from "cloud data farming" and run locally in private locations.
For sure, I was careful not to include all job types on purpose. Some things can be more heavily automated using ML/AI that could affect the job landscape. I was more pointing out that it's not yet going to replace more technically/research oriented jobs just yet as the original poster was proclaiming. When ML can given me proper answers for how to construct circuits, code, etc. without me having to be corrected then we can talk about how someone wouldn't need training in order to carryout complex technical/research oriented jobs.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
It’s funny you should say that “with zero knowledge of what it’s doing”. That is my greatest long term fear of AI, that in 100 years time or 1000 years time it becomes so ingrained and relied upon that people will no longer understand what AI is doing. How will people, who no longer require any know-how, knowledge, or specialization, be able to monitor the AI to ensure it isn’t enacting some AI hair brain scheme it came up with and start delicately pulling strings to get pesky humans out of its way. I know, my worries are very Sci-Fi lol.

I just hope we retain our knowledge of how these AI systems works and how to be proficient in all the tasks which become automated by AI. Cause it’s either that, or we can pray to the machine spirits and throw anointed oils on the AI in the hopes it will hear our prayers and fix itself.
Sadly that is likely the case! Most people don't understand how computers work, but they rely on them daily for everything and have zero interest in learning how they work.

My hope is enough people will be curious that it never gets to where we have zero clue as a species of "how that thing works", but AI definitely opens the door for a lot of bad scenarios. Warren Buffet likened it to the Atomic bomb as far as world changing impact in long run goes and I think he's right.

kealii123

Great
Nov 3, 2023
How can Apple even think about comparing x86 to M stuff? With x86 I can run thousands of apps and games since like 80s. On iPad the app will be abandoned in a few years and forever disappear from the app store.
Are you joking? What is missing from this macbook pro M1 that x86 has? Sure there are some applications not available (esp. games), but that is more because of macOS, not ARM. I use the best x86 (both AMD and Intel) daily, along with my M1, and its not even close. The performance gap is getting worse, not better.

For sure, I was careful not to include all job types on purpose. Some things can be more heavily automated using ML/AI that could affect the job landscape. I was more pointing out that it's not yet going to replace more technically/research oriented jobs just yet as the original poster was proclaiming. When ML can given me proper answers for how to construct circuits, code, etc. without me having to be corrected then we can talk about how someone wouldn't need training in order to carryout complex technical/research oriented jobs.

Well it can only respond with something that another person has already figured out. It is completely incapable of creating a new solution, there is no intelligence or anything remotely resembling problem solving going on. Under the hood it's just a giant array that is being used to determine the probability of A following B. It had to first encounter both A and B along with training on the relationship between them. And because it knows A and B, its utterly ignorant of D and E, someone would have to introduce D, E and F in a casual relationship in order for it to train on those. Then if you asked about C, it wouldn't have any references and would instead hallucinate.

SSGBryan

Reputable
Jan 29, 2021
No AI is going to transform how people use computers in key ways. In five years, most people will insist on AI accelerators. What you have today is AI in its infancy. Llama 3 is like the Commodore PET-Apple I era. Hobbyists feeling their way around.

Polished AI that will do complex, tedious tasks will arrive inside of 3 years and will transform all aspects of computer and device work. I’m astonished by the number of tech enthusiasts who are not seeing the biggest technological transformation of their lifetime.

It should be clear that by 2030, there will be no need to learn Excel, AutoCAD, DaVinci Resolve, VS Code, Photoshop, Powerpoint or myriad other apps. People take classes and get certificates to show they can do highly complex, technical work using professional applications. Mature AI apps will allow people who know nothing about today’s applications to get better results.

We are going to be able to just tell the devices what we want and have the results provided without thinking or even knowing about cells, formulas, filters, grids, macros, formatting, layers, plugins, coding, and the like.
Could you try again and list something that is quantifiable rather than playing buzzword bingo.

Nov 14, 2023
I hate apple. I hate their OSes. I love using my own software, or at least my own choice of software, like Brave browser, and running desktop software on a tablet (like Fusion 360, IDEs, etc). But man, RIP to Intel and AMD. Apple silicon is crushing, and Windows 11 is now worse than MacOS. Even if Qualcomm comes thru with all their promises, thats still a chip thats 1 generation behind Apple AND is married to Windows and Microsoft. Its infuriating.
For what it's worth, I run Brave as my primary browser on my iPhone. I'm not exactly sure what the Apple hate comes from, and my daily driver work laptop is Windows 11 (although I use WSL2+Ubuntu as my dev environment).
No it's just copy pasting. AI models use a multidimensional array to represent the mathematical relationship between all elements of that array. Chat-GPT for example use's an array of 57 thousand dimensions, bigger models use bigger arrays. Each element of that array is a unique word, phrase or construct, the training model then "trains" on data by incrementing the value whenever one identified component follows another and so forth. When you get done you are left with a mathematical construct that represents the relationship between all unique objects trained on. Then during processing the algorithm can reference that model to predict the probability of any construct following another construct. Example would be that after processing A then B, it can reference that array for [A,B] then chose the value with the highest probability of following it.
This is the right perspective. I work with AI all day every day (in fact I develop systems that leverage LLMs to make decisions, weigh options, generate content, etc.) and this is all it is. The "magic" if there is any to be found is that it can seem intelligent by being so dumb. The one truly great use case I have found for AI is that it's surprisingly good at writing software. It makes sense in a way, because software languages have a well-defined grammar, large open source pools of learning material, and the output is easily tested. This differs from, say, having an opinion on politics where you can spout a bunch of garbage and it's difficult to tell if it's true or not.

The Hardcard

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
No it's just copy pasting. AI models use a multidimensional array to represent the mathematical relationship between all elements of that array. Chat-GPT for example use's an array of 57 thousand dimensions, bigger models use bigger arrays. Each element of that array is a unique word, phrase or construct, the training model then "trains" on data by incrementing the value whenever one identified component follows another and so forth. When you get done you are left with a mathematical construct that represents the relationship between all unique objects trained on. Then during processing the algorithm can reference that model to predict the probability of any construct following another construct. Example would be that after processing A then B, it can reference that array for [A,B] then chose the value with the highest probability of following it.

There is absolutely nothing special about "AI", there is no intelligence, it's just a mathematical model that represents the relationship between all objects referenced by that model. The plagerization absolutely occurs because the model only references objects by unique values, that are then indexed and put together. With CoPilot entire functions and subroutines were copied and referenced by ID values. CoPilot didn't write code, it just decided that function 3477 would follow by function 2390 then statement 23097 and so forth, all based on the most likely value. It analyzed copy writed code to create those values and people have been able.

There is nothing new about this process, it's been around for decades and is used heavily in plasma physics simulations. The problem was that we simply did not have sufficient computational power to ingest the training data and create that mathematical model. The real innovation is that someone discovered how to use vector coprocessors (GPU's) to compute the relationship weights of ridiculously large multi-dimensional arrays. That reduced the computational cost drastically in much the same way as going from software rendering to hardware rendering does.

If stealing $1,000,000 from one person is theft, then stealing $1 from 1,000,000 people is also theft. AI does the latter.
it is really not just copying and pasting. That is why even though these models have a lot of work that need to be done on them here today in 2024 top engineers, top coders, and even companies are relying on them to generate new material that has never existed before.

Among them, AMD, Nvidia, and Intel have already said that they are using AI models in their current production workflows. they are already being used to create things that did not exist. AI is very special and transformative. That’s also why numerous people who have billions of dollars or directing them toward AI. I don’t know why you were still missing the boat, but you are.

Nov 14, 2023
it is really not just copying and pasting. That is why even though these models have a lot of work that need to be done on them here today in 2024 top engineers, top coders, and even companies are relying on them to generate new material that has never existed before.

Among them, AMD, Nvidia, and Intel have already said that they are using AI models in their current production workflows. they are already being used to create things that did not exist. AI is very special and transformative. That’s also why numerous people who have billions of dollars or directing them toward AI. I don’t know why you were still missing the boat, but you are.
Generative AI has never created something that didn't exist before. I'm sorry but that's simply not true. It creates imitations of work that humans have created before, which is still useful in many products!

The Hardcard

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
Could you try again and list something that is quantifiable rather than playing buzzword bingo.
I can’t figure out where the disconnect here is. Do you really believe that getting professional results on your own data without having to learn any professional applications is not beneficial? It is not transformative? you don’t think it will change the world as we know it?

More so, when combined With advanced, robotics and other mechanization, how is this not a revolution? You don’t think people will want to be able to make whatever food they heard was good without knowing its history, ingredients, or the process to it? We even had to basically cook in general? And I’m not talking about buying some grocery store package, I’m talking about made fresh from scratch.

this applies to anything you need a professional to teach you, make for you, or do for you.

Generative AI has never created something that didn't exist before. I'm sorry but that's simply not true. It creates imitations of work that humans have created before, which is still useful in many products!

This is something the AI-Bros' just do not get. "Generative AI" is just pasting stuff it's already run across and indexed as a value. That "finger" would be object #24457 and have a 50% probability of following object #38043. We have five fingers so the probability of one finger following another is rather high, and the reason you see generative AI made put six or seven fingers on a hand before another object has a higher probability of appearing. You ask for "blond head" and it just determines there is a 67% probability you need object #12830, then a 84% probability that object #4390 follows object #12830 and so forth until it's finished.

It's not doing anything special and honestly the "generative" part is a joke. The really computationally intensive stuff is building the mathematical model that represents the relationship between all those objects. Screw making meme photos or crappy code, the ability to create a model that represents the relationship between tens of millions of data points is off the charts amazing.

I can’t figure out where the disconnect here is. Do you really believe that getting professional results on your own data without having to learn any professional applications is not beneficial? It is not transformative? you don’t think it will change the world as we know it?

More so, when combined With advanced, robotics and other mechanization, how is this not a revolution? You don’t think people will want to be able to make whatever food they heard was good without knowing its history, ingredients, or the process to it? We even had to basically cook in general? And I’m not talking about buying some grocery store package, I’m talking about made fresh from scratch.

this applies to anything you need a professional to teach you, make for you, or do for you.

I realize your using a generator to do your responses, so I'll toss in one of my one.

---

How should you navigate this unlimited totality? Although you may not realize it, you are interstellar. The multiverse is calling to you via pulses. Can you hear it?

Generic new age image

Humankind has nothing to lose. We are in the midst of a sentient invocation of knowledge that will align us with the quantum cycle itself. Reality has always been overflowing with adventurers whose dreams are nurtured by spacetime.

The cosmos is approaching a tipping point. Parvati will remove the barriers to unlimited spacetime. We must empower ourselves and empower others.

SSGBryan

Reputable
Jan 29, 2021

All I have seen is buzzwords - The word salad you posted is what I used to see on Apple forums from the true believers.

Do you really believe that getting professional results on your own data without having to learn any professional applications is not beneficial? It is not transformative?

You have to know what questions to ask - this might be useful for a SMA (subject matter expert), but for someone that doesn't understand how a program works won't know what questions to ask.

Using cooking isn't a good example, btw. What you just described is literally every cookbook written in the last 100 years.

The Hardcard

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
All I have seen is buzzwords - The word salad you posted is what I used to see on Apple forums from the true believers.

Do you really believe that getting professional results on your own data without having to learn any professional applications is not beneficial? It is not transformative?

You have to know what questions to ask - this might be useful for a SMA (subject matter expert), but for someone that doesn't understand how a program works won't know what questions to ask.

Using cooking isn't a good example, btw. What you just described is literally every cookbook written in the last 100 years.
Cookbooks can’t find, acquire, process and produce finished ready to eat meals made from natural ingredients. AI will do the work.

Most people know how to ask for the results they want. That is what is being advanced now, the ability to ask models for the end product without being an expert.

I don’t know how to make it clearer. But this is happening whether or not you want to believe it. And how most things happen in the world will very soon be completely different, whether you like it or not. Whether you are ready or not.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
The disconnect is this statement is not true. You can't not be a developer an have generative AI create a real application for example. Sure, it can output a template and can function, but you can do that in 5 minutes without being a developer either because there are 1000s of websites that have working templates.

Ask any generative AI to use a positional delta tree to only send update from an Arrow array (or any other columnar base store) and allow an application to read and write from that using Arrow Flight. It's not going to do it for you and what it spits out you are going to have to understand, otherwise it's worthless. In fact I did try this for fun when typing this and what it gave in ChatGPT was nonsense, it wouldn't work, but someone who doesn't understand software wouldn't know that it's not going to work.

SSGBryan

Reputable
Jan 29, 2021
Cookbooks can’t find, acquire, process and produce finished ready to eat meals made from natural ingredients. AI will do the work.

Most people know how to ask for the results they want. That is what is being advanced now, the ability to ask models for the end product without being an expert.

I don’t know how to make it clearer. But this is happening whether or not you want to believe it. And how most things happen in the world will very soon be completely different, whether you like it or not. Whether you are ready or not.
I'll bite.

Just how is "AI" going to acquire ingredients, process & cook foods?

All I have seen is some software that can brute force (no actual intelligence) responses to questions.

Reactions: cyrusfox

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
If they want the iPad to do more and actually be relevant they need to fix the software.
Yes, this. It’s not ‘Pro’ until they fix something as basic as the file manager, which is currently a dog’s breakfast. But this isn’t going to happen whilst MacOS notebooks and desktops are still a thing.

Reactions: bit_user
Nov 14, 2023
Well, you’re wrong about that, but you will have to watch it play out. I never realized how many John Henrys there were on this site.
I don’t have to watch it play out. I’m on the bleeding edge of LLMs, AI frameworks, etc., every day. If you understand how the technology actually works, then you will understand that it actually can’t create something new or unique. It doesn’t have the ability. It’s not magic, it’s a machine.

Reactions: palladin9479
Nov 14, 2023

Look I’m not going to lie your posts seem AI generated and they make about as much sense as I would expect. Are you suggesting than an AI powered physical robot is going to come up with a meal plan, shop for the ingredients, cook the meal, and serve it to me? Are you further suggesting this meal would be a unique creation that nobody has ever published a recipe for before? If so, this is just nonsense. It just sounds like AI is your religion and you need faith for it.

Reactions: palladin9479

The Hardcard

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
I'll bite.

Just how is "AI" going to acquire ingredients, process & cook foods?

All I have seen is some software that can brute force (no actual intelligence) responses to questions.
How does Tesla’s driving models get drive a car down a busy freeway with no hands. By having the appropriate electronics and mechanical devices. And access to the internet. Yes, AI models are going to be given tools.

If that is all you’ve seen, then you are missing the action. Subreddits available, my main goto is r/LocalLlama. Many Youtube channels to choose from, AI Explained, AI Flux, Mathew Berman off the top of my head. So many more.

You can listen to interviews and talks from Sam Altman, Zuckerberg, Meta’s Yann LeCun, OpenAI’s Ilya Sutskever, Noam Brown, and Shane Legg. So many more.

Numerous published papers on all aspects of the development of AI reasoning, self-guided learning and programming.

I’m having a hard time making links, but Google this Ars Technica article: “

The real research behind the wild rumors about OpenAI’s Q* project”​

This is already far beyond just responding to questions, far beyond copying and pasting. More importantly, the achievements since 2014 and AlexNet are huge and the pace of innovation is accelerating by remarkable amounts. So much was done by unpaid students using mid-tier graphics cards. Now they have several hundred billion dollars in investments.

The Hardcard

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
Look I’m not going to lie your posts seem AI generated and they make about as much sense as I would expect. Are you suggesting than an AI powered physical robot is going to come up with a meal plan, shop for the ingredients, cook the meal, and serve it to me? Are you further suggesting this meal would be a unique creation that nobody has ever published a recipe for before? If so, this is just nonsense. It just sounds like AI is your religion and you need faith for it.
If you look, you will see I’ve been on this site before AI, and I’m the same The Hardcard that has been on various tech sites since 2001. I have a very long pre-AI track record.

I was speaking specifically about you asking for a meal, say Tandoori Chicken and, instead of researching and putting in the work of finding out what it is and how make it, you would ask a model for Tandoori chicken. Then just wait.

But yes, unique dishes are possible.

The Hardcard

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
I don’t have to watch it play out. I’m on the bleeding edge of LLMs, AI frameworks, etc., every day. If you understand how the technology actually works, then you will understand that it actually can’t create something new or unique. It doesn’t have the ability. It’s not magic, it’s a machine.
You are wrong, but clearly I can’t convince you here. Irrefutable developments are incoming. Barring some tragedy, I’ll still be on this site.

In the meantime I posted some places to get information in another response here in this thread. You, like he, are welcome to check them out. We’re just spinning in circles now..