Question Are there any BTX cases I can buy?

May 4, 2024
I have a not (yet) working dell optiplex and I was thinking, can I get rid of the prebuilt case? It's too tight to work in to, and a tight power supply (235 watt) that I can't make big changes. I dont want to get rid of the motherboard (im broke) since theres also a pcie slot (3), so I can put a graphics card that's decent, and because the CPU is very uhh old (core 2 duo e8500) and it would put alot of cpu usage if there's no graphics card in it. (If there is any, i cant find anything) Can I buy a BTX format case and just put the mobo in?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Those older systems are notorious for using non standard connections between the parts. This includes case to mobo, PSU to mobo and so on. You might get it to work if you can find a btx case to buy, but it will likely take some extra work on your part to get it going. This may include pulling and using pieces from the old case

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What style is this Optiplex? Those cases came in different sizes. You might be able to locate one of the larger cases.

Otherwise, you are chasing obsolete and proprietary technology.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
And the motherboard may not even be BTX, either. That form factor was quickly abandoned, and lots of Dell Optiplex motherboards are oddly shaped, so won't be standardized even that much. As for PSU, you'll have to look at the connectors.

Honestly, I don't think putting any additional money into an office rig that's a minimum of 16 years old is all that economical an idea.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a not (yet) working dell optiplex and I was thinking, can I get rid of the prebuilt case? It's too tight to work in to, and a tight power supply (235 watt) that I can't make big changes. I dont want to get rid of the motherboard (im broke) since theres also a pcie slot (3), so I can put a graphics card that's decent, and because the CPU is very uhh old (core 2 duo e8500) and it would put alot of cpu usage if there's no graphics card in it. (If there is any, i cant find anything) Can I buy a BTX format case and just put the mobo in?
I wouldn't put a single dollar into this system.

If it works, use it as is.
If it doesn't work...well, it had a good life.