Question AsRock6900XT no display output

May 8, 2024
Upgraded my CPU, RAM, MB as i wanted to try out he new 7800X3D and needed to change all those components IOT do that. After the install everything was good, i moved on to update BIOS and while in windows i noticed windows has like micro stuttering every 2-3 seconds. It wouldn't affect video games but it was annoying nonetheless. I thought that BIOS was going to be the solution but it didnt, I went ahead and updated chipset drivers as well and nothing, still had micro stutter. My 2nd to last option was updating the GPU before doing a fresh install of windows.
So i went ahead and updated from Adrenaline 24.3.1 to 24.4.1. During the screen flickering process my GPU just stop giving any kind of display output, my monitor still detected the GPU as the light was still on but there was no output. I waiting 5 more mins then i just turned my PC off. Turn back on and now MB has VGA light on. Can't even get to the BIOS ofc, Wasn't the first time VGA light came on after turning my PC on, normally I'd fix it by just unplugging the GPU and plugging it back. Did this about 3 times with no results. Went and grabbed old RX5700 and it worked fine. So this are the things i tried so far:
-I reverted back to old GPU drivers (24.3.1) but that didn't fix the 6900xt display issue.
-Did a fresh windows re-install and that also didn't fix it. (DID FIX THE MICRO STUTTER)
-Tried different monitor and TV, no results either.
-Power flush, no results.
I have no idea what else i can try other than taking it to a PC repair store or CMOS removal to reset back to factory BIOS which is 2.02 and i'd rather not do that since i really don't like to mess with things that can quite literally kill your BIOS. I might just need to get educated on it but it would be my last resort.
I'd love to hear any recommendations please! I know i can't be the only one that this has happened and i really don't want to just throw a GPU that only have 1.5 yr with me lol. 5700XT has been with me since Launch day back in 2019 and still working.

Build:
MB: AsRock X670E PRO RS
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CPU Cooler: NXZT Kraken 240mm AIO
GPU: AsRock 6900XT
NVMe SSD : Samsung 128GB m2 2280 (Has OS)
NVMe SSD: Sabrent Rocket M2 2280 4.0 1TB
NVMe SSD: WD BLK M2 2280
RAM: T-FORCE 32GB @6400MHz (x2 16GB sticks)
PSU: EVGA 850W Supernova 80G+ Fully modular. (1.5) Years old
Case: Thermaltake v200
Monitor: (Gotta check) Acer 24”
BIOS 2.10

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Upgraded my CPU, RAM, MB as i wanted to try out he new 7800X3D and needed to change all those components IOT do that.
What were your specs prior to the upgrade and what parts were recycled?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

May 8, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Upgraded my CPU, RAM, MB as i wanted to try out he new 7800X3D and needed to change all those components IOT do that.
What were your specs prior to the upgrade and what parts were recycled?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.
The stuff that was removed are:
CPU: Ryzen 5600X (Replaced with Ryzen 7 7800X3D)
CPU Cooler: Fuma scythe 2 Air cooler (Replaced with NXTZ Kraken AIO 240mm)
MB: AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 Wifi (Replaced with AsRock X670E PRO RS)
RAM: 32GB OLOy Warhawk RGB DDR4 @4800MHz (x2 16gb sticks)- (Replaced with T-FORCE 32GB @6400MHz (x2 16GB sticks)

May 8, 2024
Update: did BIOS reset and even that didn’t fix it. So it’s not the MB or any other components. It’s the GPU itself. Can’t really believe updating drivers can brick a GPU like that. RGB lights on and fans spinning but VGA light on for 2 minutes then PC booted into OS

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
You won't know it's the GPU until you can test in another system.

Assuming you've confirmed all cables and GPU are properly seated. Clean contacts, no damage?

The GPU light staying on could be as simple as the card not being seated or perhaps the new motherboard might have issues with the slot. A GPU light isn't going to go on because the drivers are old.

May 8, 2024
You won't know it's the GPU until you can test in another system.

Assuming you've confirmed all cables and GPU are properly seated. Clean contacts, no damage?

The GPU light staying on could be as simple as the card not being seated or perhaps the new motherboard might have issues with the slot. A GPU light isn't going to go on because the drivers are old.
Yup, all cables and stuff that connects to the GPU are clean and no dmg. They work as it’s the same stuff I use for the 5700XT which is what I am using in the meantime to troubleshoot. The only difference is that the 6900 uses x3 (8) pin power connectors while the 5700 uses x1 (8) pin and x1 (6) pin.
I thought the same thing about the MB having issues with the slot but then why does my 5700 works fine?

Is it possible your psu is having issues? As you said the 5700 only asks for one connection whereas the 6900 wants 3. Perhaps the new cpu etc is just a little too much for it.

I’ve seen strange stuff like moving a computer from one place to the other and a working psu fails during the move.

May 8, 2024
Is it possible your psu is having issues? As you said the 5700 only asks for one connection whereas the 6900 wants 3. Perhaps the new cpu etc is just a little too much for it.

I’ve seen strange stuff like moving a computer from one place to the other and a working psu fails during the move.
It is a possibility for sure, the one thing that doesn’t make sense it’s that it worked fine with the new CPU and everything up to when I I changed drivers. I do have an extra VGA 8 Pin cable that I can swap and try later today.
I verified the power consumption and it’s supposed to be 600w. As long as no crazy OC happens. So the PSU can very well handle the load.

Last edited:
Keep in mind also you went from a 5600x to a 7800x3d. The 5600x is a 65 watt cpu, vs the 7800x3d is a 120 watt cpu. Those numbers are likely at idle so I'm assuming they will draw more under load.

According to AMD, the minimum power supply for that gpu is 850 watts. So with the psu going on 2 years old and barely the requirement, plus the extra power of the 7800x3d, my thinking is that the psu could cope with the card while using the lower power cpu but when you swapped to a better cpu the psu is having a hard time coping. May not hurt to try out a bigger unit, maybe 1000 watts or over to give a little headroom.

Personally I've got a 6800xt, AMD says I could use a 750 watt psu, but I've got an 850 and I think that's about as far as I want to push it. Always better to have a ltitle more capacity than you need as power supplies do age and over time can't deliver the same power as they did when they were new, so you don't want to be right on the edge imo.

Not sure why changing drivers would have caused that, coincidence maybe? You might remove the gpu, then run ddu to try to clean out all the drivers then you could try to roll back to an older driver. But the fact that the 5700 works and the 6900xt does not and the psu requirements could be a thing.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024
Keep in mind also you went from a 5600x to a 7800x3d. The 5600x is a 65 watt cpu, vs the 7800x3d is a 120 watt cpu. Those numbers are likely at idle so I'm assuming they will draw more under load.

According to AMD, the minimum power supply for that gpu is 850 watts. So with the psu going on 2 years old and barely the requirement, plus the extra power of the 7800x3d, my thinking is that the psu could cope with the card while using the lower power cpu but when you swapped to a better cpu the psu is having a hard time coping. May not hurt to try out a bigger unit, maybe 1000 watts or over to give a little headroom.

Personally I've got a 6800xt, AMD says I could use a 750 watt psu, but I've got an 850 and I think that's about as far as I want to push it. Always better to have a ltitle more capacity than you need as power supplies do age and over time can't deliver the same power as they did when they were new, so you don't want to be right on the edge imo.

Not sure why changing drivers would have caused that, coincidence maybe? You might remove the gpu, then run ddu to try to clean out all the drivers then you could try to roll back to an older driver. But the fact that the 5700 works and the 6900xt does not and the psu requirements could be a thing.
I will verify with a different system in a PC repair shot before I drop $130+ on a new PSU when the current one in paper should handle the load at idle with only 606w total system consumption. Not to mention I’m not playing any games that require crazy OC or anything like that. That should leave my PSU with another 100w of effective left over power to play around before we start OCs.
I’ll keep the post updated!

May 8, 2024
I get it. Put it this way, cheaper to try a PSU if that is the cause than buying a new gpu.
So I got a new 1000w PSU and it worked for about 2 days and then today I went to work after my launch break, I come home and my screen is dark and nothing on the display, I’m guessing PC restarted itself for updates or something. And we back to square 1 no display output no matter what. I’ve tried all the same trouble shoots and yeah. I’m guessing I have a overall bad GPU cuz I have 300w more than what it even comes close to and still having VGA light on.
Already started the RMA process with ASRock.

Ouch. Well on the flip side at least you know you should have a reliable power source so you won’t have to be concerned there. Hopefully your new card does better. My 6800xt is an asrock as well.

Anymore I shut my system off when I’m not using it. Only takes a few seconds to a minute or so to come back on anyway.