Question ASUS Prime X670-P build not POSTing ?

Feb 17, 2024
Post outline:
  1. Compliment forum
  2. Bemoan current situation
  3. Describe background and build
  4. Describe problem
  5. Describe already-tried troubleshooting
  6. More complaining
  7. Solicitation for Help
  8. edits, if necessary
Howdy! I know it's bad etiquette to create an account the same day you need to ask a question, but I've gleaned so much useful information from Tom's Hardware over the years that I consider myself a recently-registered lurker.

I come to your community pleading for help - imagine it, spending a not-insignificant amount of money to upgrade your battlestation, the parts delivered piecemeal over the course of a week, come Friday after the kids go to bed you de-static, set up a foldable table to work everything out on, go into surgery with your anti-static bracelet in your bare feet, only to emerge five hours later in the wee hours of the morn covered in thermal paste a la surgeon, only this time the PATIENT DOESN'T MAKE IT - CODE BLUE WE DON'T HAVE A POST!

That's basically where I am. This is my third computer build, and I've got this build, that I've pretty painstakingly researched for compatibility.

After it was all done, it didn't post. No pops, no smoke, no smell; but also no beeps, no LEDs. It just turns on, then 5-10 minutes later it turns off. I get LED lights and the fans turn on, so I know the CH FAN pins are at least working, as well as the processor fans and the liquid pump. Also, at least some of the system header pins are correct, because the Power button and LED works, although holding the button doesn't Reset, though that may be result of the same problem.

Everyone says this - but I believe I've checked everything. I re-seated the the CPU out and inspected the pins and pads, both looked good (pics attached, yes it's seated snug with the gold-corner-to-gold-corner and those little notches aligned, chill out), I took out everything except the CPU and one stick of memory (in the second slot, as required by the ASUS manual). I reset the BIOS via jumping pins and then by pulling the battery for 5 minutes.

I Flashback'd the BIOS via USB, a process that worked (I saw the "I'm flashing" LED), but didn't solve the issue - after turning the machine on again, no beeps, no LEDs, no signal or USB power to keyboard. I reduced the minimum postable product down to one stick of memory and tried both sticks - nada.

Let's talk power cables! The Be Quiet cables are a little confusing, and there seem to be 2 cables that both support the 8 pin CPU power - I started with the 10-pin-to-8-pin (2 pins are empty on the PSU side labelled "P8" lol wth is that?) and the 10-pin-to-4+4 pin method - no joy. The power cabling is probably the biggest cause of concern here - everything fits and is plugged in, but the different configurations are myriad and it would be easy and it's not super clear which is the PSU side of the cables and which is intended to be the MB side with the optional expansions / additional pins for larger ATX etc.

Frustrating is the complete lack of feedback from the Prime X670-P. It does NOT have the Q-LED lights that display error codes - you're apparently supposed to rely on beeps during the boot process, something we don't get to, unfortunately. It just... turns off. I'll reiterate that luckily during this whole process there's never been any smoke or pop or an odd smell, other than that of abject failure.

Please Tom('s Hardware Forums), you're my only hope! Well you and the Be Quiet support team and the Asus support team and several cable junky friends of mine. I would appreciate any and all insight.

This is a great post for testing all the possibilities, I'm working through them, but no luck so far (pulled reset pins, reseated components, etc.).

edit: to clarify, ASUS has already accepted the RMA I just wish this were something simple I screwed up...

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Try and remove some pressure off your AIO's mounting, until it's just touching the IHS on the processor. You should have the case on it's side the weight of the CPU block will keep it atop the CPU.

As for the CPU's socket, you could try and take a picture with ambient lighting. Flash photography at times does mask a bent pin.

Feb 17, 2024
Ok I removed some pressure from the AIO mounting, I also made sure of the power cabling to the MB, and then tested it with the old PSU to the same effect. I'll update as to new pics of the pins once I get this RMA process started...

Feb 17, 2024
Try and remove some pressure off your AIO's mounting, until it's just touching the IHS on the processor. You should have the case on it's side the weight of the CPU block will keep it atop the CPU.

As for the CPU's socket, you could try and take a picture with ambient lighting. Flash photography at times does mask a bent pin.

I removed the Motherboard to prepare to RMA and replaced it with my old rig (which worked like a charm, btw). I didn't find any loose screws or damaged parts or anything like that. I've updated the imgur link with pics of the pins with as ambient as the top-down lighting allows. Also pics of the front and back of the motherboard out of the case. Still no idea what happened. I SUPPOSE it could be the processor, but that seems unlikely, yeah?

Last edited: