Question Bad DIMM slot or damaged CPU? I am at my wits' end

May 19, 2024
My main computer has worked fine for years as I have slowly upgraded and replaced some parts, but now I have a random issue of no display. I haven't done much to the computer recently other than move it around a bit and take it outside to be dusted with an air compressor (which happened about 2 or 3 weeks before it stopped working. I have already done a good amount of troubleshooting and came down to it being a CPU or motherboard problem.

Specs:
Asus H170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
Gigabyte GEFORCE GTX 1050 GPU
Intel I5-6500 CPU
Corsair 2 x 16gb DDR4 Vengeance RAM
EVGA 850 BQ Power Supply
WD 2tb wd20ezrz HDD Hard Drive

The troubleshoots I tried:
  • Windows Memory Diagnostics on each stick
  • Tested each stick in different orders and slots
  • Multimeter tested the Power Supply
  • Checked for any visible damages or burn marks
  • Small test on Cinebench and Prime95
The only way it boots is with a single stick in slot A2. If anything is installed into slot B2, it will not give any display at all. I have not tested slots A1 and B1, as I am not sure if it will even boot with that order. The manual says to use A2 for single stick, and A2 and B2 for dual.

All that I can think to try at this point is to test slots A1 and B1, clean the DIMM slot B2, check the cpu for bent pins, or solder on a new DIMM port. I would try multimeter testing the DIMM port but there is no information on how to test the Port itself and not the RAM. I have read a bunch of forums and nothing I have tried is working and I am losing my mind over this.

My motherboard is old, I am aware of that, but I have no other issues with the pc except this, it running slow from bloat, and an error msg (Atkex_cmd: ATKEK_cmd.exe - Application Error, The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x0000000076D2FA72.) I have been getting for over a year that randomly appears after some startups. Yes I have tried fixing that error as well.
Slot A1​
Slot A2​
Slot B1​
Slot B2​
Results​
16gb A​
16gb B​
No display. Dram led turns on. Switches to cpu led for a few seconds before switching back to Dram LED
16gb A​
Boots up slowly
16gb B​
16gb A​
No Boot device found. Bios but nothing else. (Happened at first. Now it also gives no display)
16gb A​
No display. Switches between cpu led and dram led lighting up
16gb B​
Boots up slowly
16gb B​
No display. Dram led turns on. Switches to cpu led for a few seconds before switching back to Dram LED

Any extra incite would be appreciated

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA 850 BQ Power Supply
How old is the PSU in your build?

If you suspect your processor's integrated memory controller(IMC) to be the issue, then the processor and ram will exhibit the same behavior on a known working motherboard. If you rule the processor's IMC to be free of fault, then dropping the same ram kit on another known working motherboard might reveal if the ram slot on your current motherboard is at fault.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
My main computer has worked fine for years as I have slowly upgraded and replaced some parts, but now I have a random issue of no display. I haven't done much to the computer recently other than move it around a bit and take it outside to be dusted with an air compressor (which happened about 2 or 3 weeks before it stopped working. I have already done a good amount of troubleshooting and came down to it being a CPU or motherboard problem.

Specs:
Asus H170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
Gigabyte GEFORCE GTX 1050 GPU
Intel I5-6500 CPU
Corsair 2 x 16gb DDR4 Vengeance RAM
EVGA 850 BQ Power Supply
WD 2tb wd20ezrz HDD Hard Drive

The troubleshoots I tried:
  • Windows Memory Diagnostics on each stick
  • Tested each stick in different orders and slots
  • Multimeter tested the Power Supply
  • Checked for any visible damages or burn marks
  • Small test on Cinebench and Prime95
The only way it boots is with a single stick in slot A2. If anything is installed into slot B2, it will not give any display at all. I have not tested slots A1 and B1, as I am not sure if it will even boot with that order. The manual says to use A2 for single stick, and A2 and B2 for dual.

All that I can think to try at this point is to test slots A1 and B1, clean the DIMM slot B2, check the cpu for bent pins, or solder on a new DIMM port. I would try multimeter testing the DIMM port but there is no information on how to test the Port itself and not the RAM. I have read a bunch of forums and nothing I have tried is working and I am losing my mind over this.

My motherboard is old, I am aware of that, but I have no other issues with the pc except this, it running slow from bloat, and an error msg (Atkex_cmd: ATKEK_cmd.exe - Application Error, The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x0000000076D2FA72.) I have been getting for over a year that randomly appears after some startups. Yes I have tried fixing that error as well.
Slot A1​
Slot A2​
Slot B1​
Slot B2​
Results​
16gb A​
16gb B​
16gb A​
Boots up slowly
16gb B​
16gb A​
No Boot device found. Bios but nothing else. (Happened at first. Now it also gives no display)
16gb A​
No display. Switches between cpu led and dram led lighting up
16gb B​
Boots up slowly
16gb B​

Any extra incite would be appreciated
Any chance you scratched the motherboard? Check the lanes on the PCB around the B2 slot.