jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Keeping in mind the mentions of a lower CPU frequency and the removal of Hyper-Threading Technology, would Arrow Lake be able to pull ahead (in terms of performance) past 14th gen CPUs? Would thermals and TDP be better than 12-14th gen such?

Would it be a big thing like Sandy Bridge or Alder Lake - the transition to 15th gen later this year?

I know this is all very speculative, but I would be glad - more than anything - to accumulate different points of view and perspectives in regards to this gleaming and anticipated generation.

Thank you!

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I think Intel's mostly targeting power efficiency at this point.
14th gen reminds me of the PresHots (the Pentium 4 Prescotts). For their time their speed was good and they were generally considered fast and smooth, yet the TDP and the temperatures were an entirely different page of the book. 14th gen is monstrously powerful and yet, like the aforementioned PresHots, its full performance can hardly be grasped for long due to those painstakingly vivid and remorseless factors of temperature and TDP.

Reactions: Order 66
14th gen reminds me of the PresHots (the Pentium 4 Prescotts). For their time their speed was good and they were generally considered fast and smooth, yet the TDP and the temperatures were an entirely different page of the book. 14th gen is monstrously powerful and yet, like the aforementioned PresHots, its full performance can hardly be grasped for long due to those painstakingly vivid and remorseless factors of temperature and TDP.
If you run the 14th gen at the stated TDP (of 125W ) ,and not overclocked out of its mind, then it is within 5% of the 7950x in performance but the 7950x needs 40% more power for that performance 91W to 128W.
At 200W the 14900k is at the same performance as the 7950x using 10% more power 141W to 128W.

Don't just look at click bait reviews blindly, ryzen has to make up 40% power efficiency just to get to the same level intel is at right now.
The only reason people think that intel is hot is because reviewers tell them so and they have no common sense to question that.
techpowerup
D5TipA9.jpg

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
If you run the 14th gen at the stated TDP (of 125W ) ,and not overclocked out of its mind, then it is within 5% of the 7950x in performance but the 7950x needs 40% more power for that performance 91W to 128W.
At 200W the 14900k is at the same performance as the 7950x using 10% more power 141W to 128W.

Don't just look at click bait reviews blindly, ryzen has to make up 40% power efficiency just to get to the same level intel is at right now.
The only reason people think that intel is hot is because reviewers tell them so and they have no common sense to question that.
techpowerup
D5TipA9.jpg
Wonderful bit of information! It's good to know that AMD are in the same boat. I've always been an Intel fan and have found Intel processors smoother and better even whilst harboring synonymous performance.

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
Would it be a big thing like Sandy Bridge or Alder Lake - the transition to 15th gen later this year?
We don't know yet.
One known improvement is the new chipset which will be able to run PCIe 5.0 NVMes without stealing lanes from the GPU's PCIe 5.0 x16 slot (that GPUs cannot fully use up but nevermind that now).

Some speculation:

I wouldn't be surprised if 15th wasn't a huge leap. It doesn't need to be astonishingly faster than current gen to be really really fast. 16th gen will probably polish it up and refine it some more.

Few games, OS features or applications will initially be able to make use of the new CPUs full potential.

The ones most eager to upgrade will be the ones unable to switch to Win 11 because of their old hardware.
600/700 chipset motherboards will be the cheaper option, but with diminishing upgrade possibilities.
The new socket may be attractive to them.

Ultimately, it doesn't need to be a big thing. It needs to be profitable for intel and sensible for consumers. Power saving and battery life will most likely be far more impressive than raw speed.

I wonder how much the new naming scheme hints this is the beginning of a new beginning for intel?

Reactions: jnjnilson6