Question Best Smart TV Brand/system to play media files via usb

Apr 8, 2024
Hi all!

For years i used a Samsung TV, and played many media files via usb, and rarely i add a incompatible file.

Recently bought a Hisense Smart Tv, and only the original firmware doens't give me trouble. After any update, the tv will play some videos and other wont (same audio/video codecs).

Since thats the biggest use for me, i ask what are the brands that not only read all files, but keep reading after software updates?

Thanks!

i ask what are the brands that not only read all files, but keep reading after software updates?
i don't think there is any "best brand" for these types of purposes.

if the displays you're shopping for don't include a list of compatible audio/video codecs
or any definitive data related to their included media player software
contact the manufacturer directly and get that information from their support staff.

i've been using an LG CX for quite a few years now and have zero problem playing media content from my external drives or flash drives with many different types of video files(mp4, avi, mkv, etc).
sometimes it will produce an error message stating that audio playback is not available for a certain file but always ends up playing properly anyway.

i have a slightly older LG that will not play any x265(HEVC) media, only x264.
and an even older Samsung that will only play some mp4 video files, nothing else.

Last edited:

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
I've used Samsung and LG smart TVs for looping video displays off a USB stick with reasonable success, but they were all older models. But they all have their quirks. e.g. some won't remove the OSD when a frame is paused, and (like yourself) some codecs weren't being read.

I ended up using a dedicated media player to make things more reliable (Raspberry Pi or mini PC).

Hi all!

For years i used a Samsung TV, and played many media files via usb, and rarely i add a incompatible file.

Recently bought a Hisense Smart Tv, and only the original firmware doens't give me trouble. After any update, the tv will play some videos and other wont (same audio/video codecs).

Since thats the biggest use for me, i ask what are the brands that not only read all files, but keep reading after software updates?

Thanks!
It depends on whether it is an audio codec problem or a video codec problem. There are probably more audio problems than video problems. Many current TVs use the Dolby MS12 audio decoder chip which does not support Dolby's 8 channel TrueHD with Atmos format; it only supports 6 channel Dolby formats including Atmos encoded in the E-AC-3 JOC format. And most TVs do not support the Sony invented DTS formats so you would need a Sony TV for those files. As for video formats, many TVs do not support the newest AV1 format; most newer Samsung TVs do.

The main question is where are you getting these files from and do they only offer 1 format or are alternatives possible.

This is why I maintain a special computer just for playing back media files with MPC-HC including 4K HDR.

Apr 8, 2024
i don't think there is any "best brand" for these types of purposes.

if the displays you're shopping for don't include a list of compatible audio/video codecs
or any definitive data related to their included media player software
contact the manufacturer directly and get that information from their support staff.
the Hisense Tv manual say it reads all the codecs i want. Probleam is after an update, it will stop reading

Apr 8, 2024
I've used Samsung and LG smart TVs for looping video displays off a USB stick with reasonable success, but they were all older models. But they all have their quirks. e.g. some won't remove the OSD when a frame is paused, and (like yourself) some codecs weren't being read.
my old LCD Samsung plays almost all files too

Apr 8, 2024
The main question is where are you getting these files from and do they only offer 1 format or are alternatives possible.
It´s not a file probleam.

once i saw half a movie in one day, was tired left the 2nd part for another day.

In between, the Tv updated the firmware/software. After the file was not compatible.

It´s the updates that ruin the situation.

Thats why i wanted to know what brand produces the most reliable Tv´s to read media form usb

It´s not a file probleam.

once i saw half a movie in one day, was tired left the 2nd part for another day.

In between, the Tv updated the firmware/software. After the file was not compatible.

It´s the updates that ruin the situation.

That's why i wanted to know what brand produces the most reliable Tv´s to read media form usb
What type of equipment are you using to communicate here? Do you have a computer where you can plug in the usb and play the files using MPC-HC and connect the computer to the TV via HDMI cable? That would eliminate your TV update concerns.

Apr 8, 2024
Yes, that would be a good idea (i' using my computer).

But i use a desktop, it´s not easy or practical to bring it near the tv.

Any other similar option in mind? Please share!

Yes, that would be a good idea (i' using my computer).

But i use a desktop, it´s not easy or practical to bring it near the tv.

Any other similar option in mind? Please share!
How far is it from the computer to the TV? There are long HDMI cables available. Also if the TV works, how is it obtaining updates? Is the TV connected to the internet and can it be disconnected with all internet functions disabled?

Apr 8, 2024
but, then starts reading files fine again until another update later down the road?

or are you unable to watch anything on this TV currently since that initial update?
The only thing that does not work well is reading media from usb, anything else works fine.

The original firmware , reads all files. After any update cant read many of the files

Apr 8, 2024
How far is it from the computer to the TV? There are long HDMI cables available. Also if the TV works, how is it obtaining updates? Is the TV connected to the internet and can it be disconnected with all internet functions disabled?
it´s to far to consider that posibility.

The tv works great , just not reading media form usb correctly. It´s a smartTv connected to net via wifi

It can be disconected, but that way will never improve software.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
What are your intentions behind your question? Solve the problem by replacing the television with a new one, or asking people for an alternate solution?

Because buying a mini PC or other secondary media player is most certainly cheaper than a whole new TV. Or transcode your files to a compatible codec. Or contacting Hisense customer support…

The original firmware , reads all files. After any update cant read many of the files
have you reset this device to it's default initial firmware and confirmed that reading those files was then working as it should again?

if so and you don't use this device for any online content,
then just disconnect the internet.
It can be disconected, but that way will never improve software.
if you have certain apps running on the TV that need updates then you just may be out of luck and will have to come up with some other host for your USB drives that can then output to the TV without using the TV's own software.

any old laptop or cheap HTPC would work fine for this sort of situation.

Apr 8, 2024
What are your intentions behind your question? Solve the problem by replacing the television with a new one, or asking people for an alternate solution?

Because buying a mini PC or other secondary media player is most certainly cheaper than a whole new TV. Or transcode your files to a compatible codec. Or contacting Hisense customer support…
Trying to know what brand makes the most reliable smarttv that does not give any probleam reading media files via usb

Hisense cant solve the probleam, already did that. Only solution is buy a new one or anything that decodes and send the signal to the tv via hdmi (for example)

Apr 8, 2024
have you reset this device to it's default initial firmware and confirmed that reading those files was then working as it should again?

if so and you don't use this device for any online content,
then just disconnect the internet.

if you have certain apps running on the TV that need updates then you just may be out of luck and will have to come up with some other host for your USB drives that can then output to the TV without using the TV's own software.

any old laptop or cheap HTPC would work fine for this sort of situation.
Hisense has reset to the original firmware. Solves the probleam. When a new update arrives, things go back to not reading media

Yes, possibly the best idea is to find a option to send the media to the TV via another device

I prefer to use internet connection, its a smart tv