Question Best way to stress test an old gaming laptop's CPU and GPU ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I have an older laptop that I bought several years ago but never used it...it's condition is mint:

i7-7700HQ
GTX 1050 ti 4GB
32GB RAM
BIOS is up to date.

The manufacturer has disabled throttlestop functions in their latest BIOS update. I don't want to go back to an earlier BIOS.

People say that this laptop has bad cooling and bad thermal paste so it overheats and as a result it throttles (CPU and GPU both) ?

I ran Cinebench 2024 (Multi-core) for 10 minutes and the max CPU package temp was 83.

Cinebench does not allow me to stress test the GPU too since it is 4GB and not supported....

Is there a free app that can stress test both the CPU and GPU so that I can monitor the temps to see if the laptop is overheating ?

To figure out if the CPU/GPU is throttling, I should just monitor the temps right ? or power too ?

Lutfij

Titan
People say that this laptop
Make and model of your laptop?

The manufacturer has disabled throttlestop functions in their latest BIOS update. I don't want to go back to an earlier BIOS.
You might want to see about using an aftermarket thermal paste to help improve thermals?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
People say that this laptop
Make and model of your laptop?

You might want to see about using an aftermarket thermal paste to help improve thermals?

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567

it is a hassle to change the thermal paste for this laptop....I just want to figure out if it is overheating/throttling first and then take appropriate action.