Question Bluetooth interferers with wifi

Mar 5, 2024
Hi, im having a lot of problems with my wifi and bluetooth. When running correctly my speeds should be anywhere from 300-400mgbs, but when my airpods connect and bluetooth starts to work, my speeds pretty much become unusable, at around 0-10mgbs Then after this happens, theres no way to get my wifi speeds back up until it randomly decides to start working again, i am using the antenna that came with my z790 v prime which is a asus antenna, any ideas as to why this is happening?

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hi, im having a lot of problems with my wifi and bluetooth. When running correctly my speeds should be anywhere from 300-400mgbs, but when my airpods connect and bluetooth starts to work, my speeds pretty much become unusable, at around 0-10mgbs Then after this happens, theres no way to get my wifi speeds back up until it randomly decides to start working again, i am using the antenna that came with my z790 v prime which is a asus antenna, any ideas as to why this is happening?
Google "bluetooth slows down wifi" and you'll get a number of suggestions.

Mar 5, 2024
Google "bluetooth slows down wifi" and you'll get a number of suggestions.
Ive tried about everything, from updating drivers, to resseting network, now my problem is that even when bluetooth is on or off, my speed is going higher than 50mbs, idk whats wrong with it.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
From what I've read there is nothing you could do about bluetooth interfering with wifi. Are you saying that with Bluetooth off, you can not get speeds higher than 50 mbs? If you were able to get higher speeds before your changes, then it would appear that one of the changes you made impacted the speed. Maybe try rolling back some of your changes. It's good to make a system restore point before making changes, so one can recover.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I had a similar issue here in the home office. I ended up getting a scanner app for my phone that showed the wireless channels and traffic at each band. The stock channel was very high in traffic even including a couple of my neighbors. I swapped channel and it helped a great deal with my WiFi speed at that time.

Another thing I did may be dependent on name brand of equipment. I use Logitech keyboard and mouse for three devices. I got one of their Unify receivers (I think that is what they call it) where you can actually learn more than one device to it. I have the main PC working both the keyboard and the mouse with one dongle. I then used the onboard wireless card in the other PC to sync to them. For the third device I just turn on and off the BT (it is a phone) as needed. In this case I also ended up having to change one of the other workstations over to wired devices just to help eliminate some of the "noise".

Mar 5, 2024
From what I've read there is nothing you could do about bluetooth interfering with wifi. Are you saying that with Bluetooth off, you can not get speeds higher than 50 mbs? If you were able to get higher speeds before your changes, then it would appear that one of the changes you made impacted the speed. Maybe try rolling back some of your changes. It's good to make a system restore point before making changes, so one can recover.
its very weird because when i first boot up my pc without my airpods connected its fine, around 300mgbs, but when i connect them, instant drop, then after the drop happens, no matter what i do even if i turn bluetooth up, it wont go over 50mgbs unless it randomly decides to

Mar 5, 2024
I had a similar issue here in the home office. I ended up getting a scanner app for my phone that showed the wireless channels and traffic at each band. The stock channel was very high in traffic even including a couple of my neighbors. I swapped channel and it helped a great deal with my WiFi speed at that time.

Another thing I did may be dependent on name brand of equipment. I use Logitech keyboard and mouse for three devices. I got one of their Unify receivers (I think that is what they call it) where you can actually learn more than one device to it. I have the main PC working both the keyboard and the mouse with one dongle. I then used the onboard wireless card in the other PC to sync to them. For the third device I just turn on and off the BT (it is a phone) as needed. In this case I also ended up having to change one of the other workstations over to wired devices just to help eliminate some of the "noise".
I only have my airpods as a bluetooth device everything else is wired, but i prolly need to get js a normal pair of headphones, but i was trying to change the wifi bands and my pc was already connected to the 5.0ghz band so idk

kanewolf

Titan
its very weird because when i first boot up my pc without my airpods connected its fine, around 300mgbs, but when i connect them, instant drop, then after the drop happens, no matter what i do even if i turn bluetooth up, it wont go over 50mgbs unless it randomly decides to
What router do you have? If it is not a dual band, then consider a router upgrade. Then you could use 5Ghz for your WIFI and Bluetooth will be 2.4Ghz.

Mar 5, 2024
I think its dual band because when i checked my admin controls, some of my tvs or phones were connected to the 2.4 and some things like my pc and other phones were connected to the 5.0, so im pretty sure it is dual band. Its a xfinity router, dont know the exact model.

kanewolf

Titan
I think its dual band because when i checked my admin controls, some of my tvs or phones were connected to the 2.4 and some things like my pc and other phones were connected to the 5.0, so im pretty sure it is dual band. Its a xfinity router, dont know the exact model.
The problem with many home routers is the SSID is the same for 2.4 and 5Ghz. That can cause devices to switch bands if the signal is bad on 5Ghz. You can explicitly name the two frequencies different, so that you don't drop back to 2.4Ghz. That could mean that you will have a much weaker signal.
WIFI is just bad, especially for a gaming computer. Powerline network adapters or MoCA would be better than WIFI.

Mar 5, 2024
i think your onto it, where the ssid is the same. Im using the antenna that came with my motherboard and even though im my router has around 580mbs the most ive seen my pc recieve is around 400, thats because im using wifi and not ethernet, but thats expected as its a bit far, how would i be able to change the 2 frequencies, because i tried yesterday and i even named the 5ghz one didferently but it never showed up in available networks

kanewolf

Titan
i think your onto it, where the ssid is the same. Im using the antenna that came with my motherboard and even though im my router has around 580mbs the most ive seen my pc recieve is around 400, thats because im using wifi and not ethernet, but thats expected as its a bit far, how would i be able to change the 2 frequencies, because i tried yesterday and i even named the 5ghz one didferently but it never showed up in available networks
It is possible the 5Ghz is too weak. If you have an android tablet or phone I suggest using an app called WIFI Analyzer -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US&gl=US It can also show Bluetooth I think. It does REQUIRE GPS to be enabled to work.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015

Unifying wifi older transmitters which I have a few are not compatible with with Windows 11. Unless, the transmitter was programmed with Windows 10. Screwy for sure. I have a few logitech devices that were suddenly suffering from dropped support. I have updated to a newer keyboard and mouse. Programs just fine.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unifying wifi older transmitters which I have a few are not compatible with with Windows 11. Unless, the transmitter was programmed with Windows 10. Screwy for sure. I have a few logitech devices that were suddenly suffering from dropped support. I have updated to a newer keyboard and mouse. Programs just fine.

I just went to Logi site and there is a console you download. This is for the dongles with the small orange symbol. The grey ones don't do it.

In this case I also had to update the firmware in my keyboard, a Logi Craft, but the mouse offered zero issue and was even an Amazon refurb unit.... well, both of them really.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I just went to Logi site and there is a console you download. This is for the dongles with the small orange symbol. The grey ones don't do it.

In this case I also had to update the firmware in my keyboard, a Logi Craft, but the mouse offered zero issue and was even an Amazon refurb unit.... well, both of them really.
That is great but I feel Logitech should keep supporting a winning combination. Maybe a security issue? I don't know. Newer Logitech combos work just fine.K850 and M720 work fine with 11.