BMW X5 extended warranty

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hi folks. Hope all is well. I am buying a brand new X5 and wanted to know if I should buy bumper to bumper extended warranty. Comes with 5 year 80,000KM coverage. Thanks

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Years ago, I extended the warranty of my Toyota Corolla, and I didn't regret it. As several costly repairs came free with it including a transmission change at 100.000 km.

I would buy it.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Depends on how long you are going to keep it and any restrictions regarding service intervals. BMW's are super nice but as they age, prohibitively expensive to fix. Hence they drop in value faster as they age than lets say a Toyota.

I would read up on owners experiences with these and make your own decisions. But if you aren't going to own it beyond a certain mileage or age, take that into consideration. If you were are going to own it long term 300000km+ I'd look into a Toyota or Lexus. Much less expensive to maintain long term (cheaper parts and more reliable engineering) and will always have a higher resale value as they age. Case in point: 2005 X5 vs 2005 4 runner vs 2005 Lexus GX460
$5000 vs $13000 vs $15000

USAFRet

Titan
I wouldn't.

From my one and only experience with an extended warranty thing, it did not turn out well.

You have to really really read what is included and excluded.

The BMW warranty is 5 years?
How long does this extended increase that?
What, exactly, is included?

Carefully read where it mentions "consumables".

On average, warranty companies expend about 18% of what they collect from consumers. The odds are heavily stacked in their favor.

Most of the time, the only item failures that would cost as much as the warranty are the engine and transmission. The likely hood of them failing under 200,000km is low unless it's a problematic engine design in which case, you should trade the car in anyways.

The warranty is almost never worth it.

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
Actually, the main "company" behind that got hit with a LARGE lawsuit and judgement.
Haven't had a warranty call in months. Not even after getting the new(used) Mini.
To be honest, I do not remember the last one either. It has been a while, but for a long time that was what many of my voicemails (I don't answer my phone if I do not recognize the number) were.

USAFRet

Titan
To be honest, I do not remember the last one either. It has been a while, but for a long time that was what many of my voicemails (I don't answer my phone if I do not recognize the number) were.

Reactions: Rokinamerica
On a bmw I’d consider the warranty. Watch a guy on YouTube named Scotty Kilmer. He’s an older gentleman but says he’s been a mechanic over 50 years. From everything I’ve heard him say, BMW’s are nice but as they age they become money pits since they break down, some stuff might be made of plastic, being a foreign luxury style car without a high of a volume parts may be harder for a mechanic to get as well.

Personally I’d suggest if you are willing to look maybe skip the bmw and look into a Lexus or an Acura which are made by Toyota and Honda. But if you buy the BMW, you might consider the extra warranty. Comes down to cost and your comfort level. Just be aware that in a few years you might be trading the car in or needing to get it repaired.