Question Boot time too long?

May 7, 2024
Hello,
I just bought a new desktop PC and I think it's taking too long to boot: from the moment I switch it on, it takes around 45 seconds to show the bios options (like press F2 to enter bios) and then 10 more seconds to get to the Windows 11 login page.
I don't know if it's relevant but the BIOS shows the logo of the company that assembled the PC.

I also have a gaming laptop PC with a lower HW configuration and it takes no more than 10 seconds from when I switch it on to the Windows 11 login page.

I contacted the manufacturer and they replied that it is normal due to the amount of memory the PC has, and the fact that the system performs memory checks at start-up... it sounds a bit BS to me but, I am no big expert so I decided to ask real experts.

System's specs:
CPU: Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900KF, 3200 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
CPU cooler: CPU CORSAIR iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT RGB HIGH PERFORMANCE
Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI II (LGA1700, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, Wi-Fi 7)
Ram: DDR5 Corsair VENGEANCE 6000 MHz 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) KIT
SSD/HDD: SAMSUNG 990 PRO M.2 2 TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 (up to 7450 MB/R, 6900 MB/W)
GPU: 24 GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG - HDMI, DP
PSU: CORSAIR 1000 W RMx SERIES™; MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA SILENT
Chassis: CASE PER GAMING MID TOWER CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 1102, 15/03/2024

Thanks, and God bless you for Tom's Hardware forums!

Sometimes you can turn off the company splash screen etc in a prebuilt systems BIOS, sometimes not. I had an HP that took an atrocious amount of time to hit the win10 splash screen because of an unskippable RAID config check. My little refurb Dell Latitude otoh can have all the BS shut off excluding the big ol Dell logo. Still, she boots up quicker than my self built AM4 rig. Check into the BIOS options (sometimes there is an extended wait time to allow hitting F2 for example), if there's nothing there to switch off then don't sweat it. Boot times are made for fixing coffee, tea, or other beverage of choice.

Reactions: Lesaiyan

ccfonzie

Honorable
Jan 21, 2018
For some reason Intel's i9 processors boot slow. I recently watched Nexus Gamers a few weeks back criticizing it. Just the i9's not the i5's or i7's. Performance wise it's fine. It's just has a slow boot for some odd reason.

May 7, 2024
For some reason Intel's i9 processors boot slow. I recently watched Nexus Gamers a few weeks back criticizing it. Just the i9's not the i5's or i7's. Performance wise it's fine. It's just has a slow boot for some odd reason.
I would understand that if my laptop had a different processor, but it also had an i9, so why is the laptop taking only 10 seconds to boot? This bothers me so much (probably more than it should)

MSI GE76 Raider 10UH-288 17.3 screen FHD (1920*1080 Pixel / 300 Hz) Gaming Notebook, Comet Lake i9-10980HK+HM470, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Max-Q GDDR6 8GB, 2TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 NVMe, 32 GB DDR4-3200

I9 laptop and I9 desktop processors are different.
I sense BS on the ram test issue.
The motherboard bios should have an option to enable/disable ram testing at start up.

Task manager startup tab will have the last bios time. With my I9, it is 12.3 seconds.

It makes a difference if you do a cold start where you load all of the windows components individually or if you use fast startup where it simply loads from a sequential file of your last startup contents.

Consider not shutting down at all.
Use sleep to ram instead(no hibernate)
That puts the pc and monitors into a very low power state similar to full power off.
sleep/load become a handful of seconds.

May 7, 2024
I9 laptop and I9 desktop processors are different.
I sense BS on the ram test issue.
The motherboard bios should have an option to enable/disable ram testing at start up.

Task manager startup tab will have the last bios time. With my I9, it is 12.3 seconds.

It makes a difference if you do a cold start where you load all of the windows components individually or if you use fast startup where it simply loads from a sequential file of your last startup contents.

Consider not shutting down at all.
Use sleep to ram instead(no hibernate)
That puts the pc and monitors into a very low power state similar to full power off.
sleep/load become a handful of seconds.
Wow, thanks for all the info.
Last bios time is 39.4 seconds!!!

Check your bios settings.
As an example, If in the bios, you have an adapter that is enabled by default, but with nothing attached to it, the bios will wait for perhaps 5-10 seconds to decide that there is nothing there.