Question Brand new PSU installed but nothing is turning on ?

Apr 7, 2024
I have a brand new Corsair 1000x PSU but nothing is turning on in my computer, plus I have all the cables properly plugged in and don’t know what it could be?

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
I have a brand new Corsair 1000x PSU but nothing is turning on in my computer plus I have all the cables properly plugged in and don’t know what it could be?
The PSU is the last thing to assume when your PC isn't turning on.

Since you have checked all the cables, I assume that you have checked the front panel connections as well. You could try shorting the power button pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver and see if it turns on.

What is the motherboard model? Is it a new one or something that was working before?

Apr 7, 2024
The PSU is the last thing to assume when your PC isn't turning on.

Since you have checked all the cables, I assume that you have checked the front panel connections as well. You could try shorting the power button pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver and see if it turns on.

What is the motherboard model? Is it a new one or something that was working before?
The reason I’m assuming it’s the PSU is because I have led lights on my computer which is separate from my motherboard and even those aren’t turning on which is odd which now I’m thinking it could be my outlets

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
The reason I’m assuming it’s the PSU is because I have led lights on my computer which is separate from my motherboard and even those aren’t turning on which is odd which now I’m thinking it could be my outlets
You mean LED light connected directly to the PSU without going though the mobo?

Even that wont turn on until the PC or motherboard is turned on. Only after pressing the power button will the PSU itself fully start up. Till then, it only supplies a small voltage for detecting power button press and for some other stuff too.

You might say it should light up after pressing the power button, but it could be your power button wires are plugged in incorrectly. To check this, short those power pins on the mobo as i said above and see if it works.

Apr 7, 2024
You mean LED light connected directly to the PSU without going though the mobo?

Even that wont turn on until the PC or motherboard is turned on. Only after pressing the power button will the PSU itself fully start up. Till then, it only supplies a small voltage for detecting power button press and for some other stuff too.

You might say it should light up after pressing the power button, but it could be your power button wires are plugged in incorrectly. To check this, short those power pins on the mobo as i said above and see if it works

Yes it’s connected straight to the PSU and the fan inside the PSU isn’t turning on either.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You can *carefully* do the paperclip test. It won't show PSU outputs are providing the proper voltages they are supposed to do but whether it works and power on itself or at all or if it is faulty/dead

If you chassis has it's own RGB controller you can test the LEDs too with this method.

You can find a video on how to do it here. You can find plenty of how-tos online if you google 'paperclip test'.

Mar 31, 2024
Seconding the paper clip test on the PSU to make sure it's turning on. If yes reconnect everything then unplug the power switch connector from the mobo and short it to see if the system posts.

A defective case power switch can create the situation in which leds from your peripherals can turn on as soon you plug the PSU but you can't turn on the computer. Sometimes fate has it a switch breaks for good at the exact moment you do a big part change. I've had it to happen to me before. 🥲

Ralston18

Titan
As suggested above double check all the power connections - especially the front panel connections.

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide and the Case documentation. Details matter.

= = = =

And remember that the PSU provides three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to various system components.

So an indication that power is present does not mean that all components are receiving voltage or the correct voltage.

Do you have a multi-meter available and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the the PSU is not under load.

However, any voltages out of tolerance indicate a faulty or failing PSU.

If testing is not possible then swap in another known working PSU if at all possible. Be sure to use only the cables that come with the swapped in PSU.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran