Question Can‘t even enter bios after upgrading cpu

Apr 30, 2024
Upgraded from Ryzen 1600 to Ryzen 5600 which is supported by my MSI B350m Mortar motherboard. I triple checked MSI's compatibility list. New CPU was new and sealed, no bend pins.

Updated Bios before swapping CPUs to the latest release (v107).

After installing the cpu I get no video signal on my monitor. DP Cable goes from my gigabyte 1060 gpu to the monitor.
I only get signals from the ez debug LEDs on the mobo.

1. First ez debug "CPU" LED turns on, CPU Fan spinns high

2. CPU LED turns off, fans slow down

3. VGA LED turns on and off again

4. Boot LED turns on and stays on -> that's where I'm stuck

Swapped back to my Ryzen 1600, everything works!

Tried again with the 5600, same problem.

Tried 2 different 3200 mhz DDR4 modules, single set up, dual set up and two older 3000 mhz modules, same way. No changes in the EZ debug LED cycle.

And I tried resetting CMOS by taking out the battery for 30 minutes.

I downgraded to the second latest bios, still not booting and upgraded the bios to the latest version again. (Changed bios with old cpu installed)

No further usb devices are connected when trying to boot.

I don't have the option to try the 5600 cpu on a different system.
I don’t understand if all my components work in the same system with my ryzen 1600 cpu, it can’t be a faulty components besides the cpu/mobo combo, can it?

Does anyone know what to do?

Reactions: 35below0

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
1. First ez debug "CPU" LED turns on, CPU Fan spinns high

2. CPU LED turns off, fans slow down

3. VGA LED turns on and off again

4. Boot LED turns on and stays on -> that's where I'm stuck
The Boot LED stays on until the computers begins to boot an OS. Your computer is stuck in BIOS with no display.
This LED does not signal a problem, just that no OS has started to boot.

Your RAM is not the problem and neither is the GPU. I'm not sure why the computer isn't booting.
The CPU LED switching off should indicate the CPU is working ok. If there was a problem with the CPU or RAM, the LED would stay on.

Pity you don't have on board graphics to try and get some display and some idea what is going on.
Check what BIOS version MSi says is needed for the 5600.

If all else fails, take it to the vet.

What's your boot device?

I'd suggest resetting your CMOS per the manual (you can also bridge the connection if you don't have a jumper cap):

Resetting BIOS to default values
1. Power off the computer and unplug the power cord
2. Use a jumper cap to short JBAT1 for about 5-10 seconds.
3. Remove the jumper cap from JBAT1.
4. Plug the power cord and power on the computer.

Apr 30, 2024
The Boot LED stays on until the computers begins to boot an OS. Your computer is stuck in BIOS with no display.
This LED does not signal a problem, just that no OS has started to boot.

Your RAM is not the problem and neither is the GPU. I'm not sure why the computer isn't booting.
The CPU LED switching off should indicate the CPU is working ok. If there was a problem with the CPU or RAM, the LED would stay on.

Pity you don't have on board graphics to try and get some display and some idea what is going on.
Check what BIOS version MSi says is needed for the 5600.

If all else fails, take it to the vet.
Thanks for your input.
For my mainboard there are two bios update version that implemented AMD Agesa update that supposed to allow ryzen series 5000 cpus on b350 boards.
I tried both.

Apr 30, 2024
What's your boot device?

I'd suggest resetting your CMOS per the manual (you can also bridge the connection if you don't have a jumper cap):

Resetting BIOS to default values
1. Power off the computer and unplug the power cord
2. Use a jumper cap to short JBAT1 for about 5-10 seconds.
3. Remove the jumper cap from JBAT1.
4. Plug the power cord and power on the computer.
I tried resetting bios, I don’t have a jumper so I took out the battery to be sure.
My boot device is a SSD.

I don’t know if it makes a difference but in bios I restored the standard values too.

Apr 30, 2024
What kind of SSD? SATA or M.2?

Did you flip the switch on your PSU and unplug the power when you pulled the battery?
It’s a SATA SSD.
Even if something would be corrupted with my booting device, I should be able to enter bios, right? And I can boot with my old cpu.

Yes, flipped the switch on the PSU, unplugged cable and hit the power button a couple of times to get rid of leftover voltages. Then I unplugged the battery.

Reactions: thestryker
Apr 30, 2024
I give up. I just uninstalled everything and set it up from scratch.
Left the cmos battery out for an hour, pulled all the connectors from the motherboard, set the cpu first, ram second and gpu afterwards. Reconnected everything, mounted the cpu cooler and still same results.
I’m sending the cpu back…

It’s a SATA SSD.
Even if something would be corrupted with my booting device, I should be able to enter bios, right? And I can boot with my old cpu.
If it was M.2 sometimes things can get really weird on older boards with new CPUs. That isn't the case though so certainly not the issue.
Left the cmos battery out for an hour, pulled all the connectors from the motherboard, set the cpu first, ram second and gpu afterwards. Reconnected everything, mounted the cpu cooler and still same results.
I'm not sure whether it's the CPU at fault or the motherboard, but that seems like the reasonable choice at this point.

Reactions: 35below0

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
It's a mysterious issue. You're probably right to send it back.

If it was the motherboard, then your PC would be dead... Everything says the CPU is fine but clearly it isn't working.