Question Changing from Linux to Windows 11 on my Gaming PC and having a lot of problems!

Sep 6, 2023
So i built my gaming pc about 6 months ago and i have been using linux to game. Everything has been pretty good but linux has been having problems for me because there isn’t a lot of games that work great on linux and I can’t just have that on a daily basis where I just want to sit down and just game. So i went ahead and installed windows 11 on my pc.

The installation went good (though i had to use a lan cord for wifi because the wifi drivers were not installed). At first I was freaking out because my resolution was super low, I still couldn’t access wireless Wi-Fi, and I had no sound and a couple other problems. Then I remembered I needed to install the drivers so I went ahead on AMD‘s website and installed the necessary drivers for my GPU and then I can finally change my resolution and I finally had sound. I then installed the motherboard drivers (gigabyte) which gave me wireless Wi-Fi as well as installing other drivers and it updated my bios as well. I was really nervous at first when I had all those problems but finally I solved it and now I am ready to game.

I went ahead and installed steam, GOG galaxy, epic games launcher, and ubisoft connect and i also installed Alan Wake 2 (on epic games launcher), Assassin’s Creed Mirage (on ubisoft connect), and Black Ops 3 (on steam). I first wanted to play Black Ops 3 so I booted it up and I immediately went to the graphics settings to set those graphics all the way up but I saw that the resolution was actually higher than my display resolution which was weird so I went ahead and lowered it to my display resolution (which is 4k) and then immediately Black Ops 3 had a black screen with the sound just playing. I then went to Steam and press the stop button to quit Black Ops 3 but that didn’t work so I had to close down steam itself and eventually Black Ops 3 closed. I thought that was very weird and I tried opening up Black Ops 3 again and it wouldn’t even open up at all and I think it also gave me a error (i don’t remember). So I then tried Alan Wake 2 and that booted up but it then froze right when it went to fullscreen and I can only see the developer logo. I then had to reset my pc to close the game. I then tried out Assassin Creed Mirage and the exact same problem happened where when starting it up it would freeze right on the policy text.

I didn’t know what to do and I was really pissed so I did a complete reinstall of Windows 11 thinking maybe because I updated my bios and it just needed a complete reinstall. So I did just that and did all of the steps that I did which was set up windows 11 and install the GPU and motherboard drivers. I then went ahead and just installed Steam and try out Half-life. Half-life was working completely fine though when pressing escape to pause the game it was a little bit of a delay. Then I had hope but when trying out Tomb Raider 2013 it opened up fine but I saw that my FPS was low so I went ahead and go to the graphic settings and my refresh rate was at 24 so once I bring it up to 60 the game went to a black screen and then it froze on the settings. I tried backing out and closing the game but some reason closing the game in Steam doesn’t work and I had to quit steam again. I tried it again and it gave me an error but after resetting my PC and trying it again I went to Tomb Raider and my refresh rate was still low so I had to go to the settings and bring it up and it did the exact same thing as earlier.

Other problems I have is some apps won’t open like my AMD driver app which won’t open at all but I see that it’s open in the background because on the bottom right when I press the arrow it tells you which apps are open or not and it is open but I don’t see it. Sometimes my motherboard driver app doesn’t open but sometimes it does.

Anyway I really am pissed off because I thought I wouldn’t have any problems when switching to windows to play my games but instead I’m having more problems than ever and man I just want to go ahead and sit down and play my games. Sorry this post is pretty long but i want to give all the details and i probably forgot some stuff but these are the issues that I am having on the top of my head. Now I’m pretty tech savvy but I can’t put my finger on why I’m having all of these problems. Please someone help me.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XTX

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX

Ram: 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME