News China's president says it doesn't need ASML — tells Dutch PM it will continue with advanced technological progress regardless

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Good luck to them. I’m sure the global market would welcome the competition long term, but there’s a reason they are a natural monopoly.

There’s no reason to believe a word China or Russia says. Not least because they have no accountability to their people to be honest or factually semi-correct in the least. This trickles down to everything including overstating their plans and capabilities. ASML certainly knows this.

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
That's called a bluff.
Thats called domestic propaganda. Nobody believes them. Especially given the huge headwinds they are facing with their own demographics and heavy handed economic development policies. We should only focus on China militarily at present and western countries ability to decouple our technology supply chains if their dictator decides to finally “reunify China” and invade Taiwan.

Reactions: Rabohinf and gg83

ivan_vy

Commendable
Apr 22, 2022

ivan_vy

Commendable
Apr 22, 2022
Thats called domestic propaganda. Nobody believes them. Especially given the huge headwinds they are facing with their own demographics and heavy handed economic development policies. We should only focus on China militarily at present and western countries ability to decouple our technology supply chains if their dictator decides to finally “reunify China” and invade Taiwan.
looks like sanctions-happy lawmakers want this, war in Europe has just benefited war industry and gas industry, I don't think a semiconductor motivated war would benefit the world.

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
looks like sanctions-happy lawmakers want this, war in Europe has just benefited war industry and gas industry, I don't think a semiconductor motivated war would benefit the world.
The guy didn’t endorse a semiconductor motivated war. He simply said the Western economy should be prepared to completely decouple from east Asia if necessary.

Reactions: Rabohinf

nookoool

Prominent
Oct 5, 2022
It's a negotiating tactic, nothing more.

If Xi Jinping didn't care about ASML, why would he even bother meeting with the Prime Minister of a small European country? I mean, how often does that even happen??

Well, he meets with PM/Presidents from some of the poorest countries in the world as well ... if you bother to follow Chinese news

ThomasKinsley

Upstanding
Oct 4, 2023
It sounds like President Xi Jinping is fairly confident that his country has the technological capabilities needed to continue development. Given that China's industry has managed to poached industry leaders who clearly know how to reach 3nm and smaller, I consider these sanctions materially meaningless. They serve to slow China down, but I do not see any evidence that the West is truly attempting to stop China from obtaining this technology.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Ultimately, all these sanctions are just going to hurt consumers and businesses. While it seems like ASML is doing ok without Chinese clients, but the reality is that if AI fad did not happen, it’s highly likely chip demand may slump. But fad being a fad will eventually die down. Not that it will go away, but the hype around it will cool. The mad rush for AI hardware will taper off at some point and settle down. ASML is losing a significant market, and that lost will impact demand. And if China do catch up over time, they don’t just lost a big chunk of sale, they will also have a competitor when ASML is pretty much a monopoly now. With less revenue, cost will go up that will be passed on to the fabs, and consumers will eventually foot that bill.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, he meets with PM/Presidents from some of the poorest countries in the world as well ... if you bother to follow Chinese news
I misread/misremembered the article saying Xi visited Rutte. In fact, the Toms article doesn't say where the meeting happened, but the linked AP article says they met in Beijing.

That is not surprising to me, nor that heads of many poorer countries make the journey so they can prostrate themselves and kiss the ring (figuratively speaking).

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
It sounds like President Xi Jinping is fairly confident that his country has the technological capabilities needed to continue development. Given that China's industry has managed to poached industry leaders who clearly know how to reach 3nm and smaller, I consider these sanctions materially meaningless. They serve to slow China down, but I do not see any evidence that the West is truly attempting to stop China from obtaining this technology.
Of course it’s to slow them down. Nobody cares about “ 7nm” when it performs worse than 10nm. They care when China starts selling things so cheaply that any nation with a minimum wage can’t compete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.