News Chinese chip designer repacks Intel 5th Gen Xeon Emerald Rapids CPUs for the domestic market — 5th Gen Jintide chips feature up to 48 cores and 260...

Status
Not open for further replies.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
I remember being very excited after reading their HotChips paper, that sounded like technology they should be able to sell elsewhere, too. And now I wonder, if chips like that are also made and sold to military and government by Intel domestically...

The Russians also have a CPU that allows to run x86 software in an emulation layer with hardware observation, because they have the same issue that they need to run x86 software they cannot trust.

And these days in a Cloud or generally the need to run code you cannot trust (or data that turns into code via RoP) is a basic issue that affects everyone and every mobile phone, appliance or embedded device.

CET like Shadow Stacks and Branch validation are a good start, but take far too long to become mainstream and may quite simply not be enough. ARM is doing some really interesting things there and I've seen RISC-V extensions aiming running potentially adversarial code.

Status
Not open for further replies.