Question Coming to a final decision

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
I've talked about getting a new graphics card a lot for a long while and I think I have found something something cheap and good, for real this time.

It's the PNY XLR8 NVIDIA GTX 960 4GB. Just found one for $52.

Now, I somewhat found that the 970 was a legacy bios and supposedly the 960, can someone confirm that for me?
This card I'm using now just needs to go finally, it's just getting too slow.

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
that depends on what you plan on using it for.
Yes, but literally anything is better than what I'm using now.

But the thing is that with further research I'm finding that the 960 works and doesn't work with legacy bios, it doesn't make sense. I'm still looking for a definite answer, that way I don't waste money.

Since you asked, after updating one of the many games that I play earlier it just won't work anymore, my current GPU is just too weak.

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
Turns out I forgot that there are different versions of the 960, but even when searching for the correct version I can't really find anything.

UPDATE: Found this on amazon:

Works in my Dell Precision T5500 with single x5670 CPU. I am running Server 2012 R2 and Hyper-V. Using my Sony TV as a monitor was painless, and using a second monitor on occasion has been easy as well. I don't do a ton of gaming, but this runs Witcher 3 at max detail with pretty good FPS.

Edit 10/2015: RemoteFX in Hyper-V doesn't work any longer. I haven't been able to find much info on this problem, but am working to resolve it. Be aware if you are purchasing this card with that feature in mind

The T5500 is about as old as the Optiplex 745 that I used to use, both having only legacy bios. A good sign, but don't believe the first thing you read.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Turns out I forgot that there are different versions of the 960, but even when searching for the correct version I can't really find anything.

UPDATE: Found this on amazon:

Works in my Dell Precision T5500 with single x5670 CPU. I am running Server 2012 R2 and Hyper-V. Using my Sony TV as a monitor was painless, and using a second monitor on occasion has been easy as well. I don't do a ton of gaming, but this runs Witcher 3 at max detail with pretty good FPS.

Edit 10/2015: RemoteFX in Hyper-V doesn't work any longer. I haven't been able to find much info on this problem, but am working to resolve it. Be aware if you are purchasing this card with that feature in mind

The T5500 is about as old as the Optiplex 745 that I used to use, both having only legacy bios. A good sign, but don't believe the first thing you read.
You will likely be okay with the GTX 960 and older tech. Game on!

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
You will likely be okay with the GTX 960 and older tech. Game on!
Alrighty, I just wanted to be super sure that everything will work. Trying to find even the smallest bit of info like that review I found is more tedious then creating electrical systems. I'll report back if something goes awry.

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
I actually don't have that system any more, when I did, I ran Windows 10, 7, and XP on it.
Now I run the same OS's along with Windows 11, (I should get Vista sometime), on a very janky whopper-jawed XPS-9100. I still need to find a case at some point as well.
If your running XP still make sure there is a driver over on Nvidia.com
I'm pretty sure that the 1050 has drivers for Vista so the 960 should in theory have them for XP, I'll check it out to be sure.