Question Computer is underperforming and I can't figure out why

May 4, 2024
About a year ago, I noticed a pretty significant drop in FPS playing games. I've tried reformatting, cleaning the case, fiddling with settings, and I get no where. I revisited it today, starting with a clean blowout of the insides to make sure that dust isn't killing performance. A thread on this forum suggested UserBenchmark, so I ran that and got absolutely terrible results. I give up trying to google this all myself. Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

UserBenchmark
Some highlights:

Overall this PC is performing way below expectations (19th percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 81 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components. Use the charts in the benchmark sections of this report to identify problem areas.

Graphics: 14.2% is a very low 3D score (RTX 2060S = 100%). This GPU can only handle very basic 3D games but it's fine for general computing tasks.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G: Performing way below expectations (13th percentile)
Nvidia RTX 3060: Relative performance (0th percentile)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Check to see if your prebuilt is pending a BIOS update.

You can try using DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

May 4, 2024
Thank you both for replying. The BIOS and drivers are up to date. I'm unsure what DDU stands for.

As far I can tell, it's some proprietary HP power supply, supposedly 400W. I am unsure what an XMP profile is.

May 4, 2024
How long do you have this PC, and when was the last time it was opened and cleaned?
I purchased the pre-fab during the COVID chip shortage at the end of 21 for less than I could buy a 3060. Worked like a champ until March of 23, which was the first time I thought to open and clean it. The last time it was opened and cleaned was this morning. I even disconnected the GPU and cleaned it separately. I was very hopeful that would make the difference, but alas.

Last edited:
Thank you both for replying. The BIOS and drivers are up to date. I'm unsure what DDU stands for.

As far I can tell, it's some proprietary HP power supply, supposedly 400W. I am unsure what an XMP profile is.
You don't have enough psu to feed that card but your limited to 500w which is what hp offers which is still iffy.

Look through the bios for a xmp/expo enable for the ram.

May 4, 2024
Quick update for y'all, I don't think it matters that it's underpowered. I think it's cooked. GPU temps are at 95C and the GPU Clock shuts down to 210 MHz. After it blue-screened, it's now idling in windows with only chrome open at 93C. I've got the side of the case off and have a box fan blowing right at it with no real impact on card temperature. Is this something I can try to fix with new thermal paste or is my card probably fried from operating at a high temperature for so long?

Last edited:

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
Quick update for y'all, I don't think it matters that it's underpowered. I think it's cooked. GPU temps are at 95C and the GPU Clock shuts down to 210 MHz. After it blue-screened, it's now idling in windows with only chrome open at 93C. I've got the side of the case off and have a box fan blowing right at it with no real impact on card temperature. Is this something I can try to fix with new thermal paste or is my card probably fried from operating at a high temperature for so long?
First you need to clean the fans:

1. Case fans (if any)
2. CPU fan
3. GPU fan(s)

If any of them aren't spinning then you need to replace them, except if it's the GPU fan you are out of luck.

Only after you clean it you will know what you need to do next. If after cleaning all the fans spin easily (you try spinning them while the PC is off) then check the temps again. If they are still high then thermal paste cleaning and re-applying might help provided you know how to do it. For the GPU that's not an easy task as usually heatsink also cools RAM and VRM chips and for that they usually put thermal pads which might not be easy to come by (you need to find same size / thickness).

If you have no experience then the best thing would be to take it to authorized repair center.