Question Connection help for WIFI from Meta Quest 3 to PC (router upgrade)

May 2, 2024
Just picked up a meta quest 3. It will wirelessly connect to my pc with Virtual Desktop, but wont connect to Steam, or Questlink. Tried everything in their troubleshooting list.

Its safe to say my Spectrum supplied router is not cutting it., They supply both a modem and a router, separate units. I dont have any info on them, but I think its WIF 2 , Steam is calling for WIFI 5 minimum, 6 recomended.
I know nothing about this, so I'd like help buying a new router thats compatible with spectrum, and how to set it up, to dedicate a ton of bandwidth to Metaquest. Im thinking of going to Spectrum tomorrow to haggle about pricing and services,. May even go with somethign else. Ive been too lazy to do it though.

Just did a speedtest, and it showed 332.44 Mb/s download, 10.68 Mb/s upload, and 13 ms latency.

10 total devices connected. TV, XBOX, PC, laptop, and phone for heavy usage. I live by myself.

Specs:

Device name desktop
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

MOBO MSI MPG z590 gaming force

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 23H2
Installed on ‎6/‎28/‎2023
OS build 22631.3447
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0

Nvidia Geforce gtx1060 3GB

SSID: xxxxxx
Protocol: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz
Driver version: 22.190.0.4
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 44
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 650/390 (Mbps)
IPv4 address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IPv4 DNS servers: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Physical address (MAC): xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Since I don't use VR stuff I am not 100% sure how they work. If the VR headset somehow directly talk to the PC via wifi most of the following is not valid.

Last times I looked these type of devices connected to your router via wifi but they talk to a local PC or game console to provide the data but all the data passed through the router. If this is true then the type of wifi in your pc doesn't matter. You want to connect the pc to the router via ethernet and then use the wifi between the router and VR headset. You can use wifi on the pc but you now have 2 very large wifi signals competing for bandwidth.

Can you look at the router you get from the ISP and post the model number here.

From your speedtest numbers I suspect you have the fairly common wifi5 (802.11ac).

Wifi6 is garbage and in most cases is no faster than wifi5. The problem is the lack of bandwidth on the 5g radio band. There are all kinds of strange issues with avoiding weather radar in most countries. In addition every one is trying to use the same radio channels.

If your VR headset support wifi6e that might be a solution. You likely have to get a different router, but some of the latest ISP routers do have wifi6e.

It should be a simple case of buy a new router, replace the ISP router and reboot the modem so it gets the mac address of the new router. If this doesn't work you can always connect a second router to the ISP router and use it as a AP.

VR needs alot of bandwidth, the Quest 3 has Wifi 6E, so you'll need an access point for 6E. It's best to have it in the same room as the quest.

Your spectrum internet speed does NOT MATTER at all. It's the hardware inside your house that matters.

You can install a WIFI 6E access point in the same room as your PC and Quest3. I would hardwire the PC with an ethernet cable to the 6E access point. You can set the access point to bridge or repeater mode, to get some internet access or use an ethernet cable to the main router if that's possible. It does not matter which mode you set it to. The Quest 3 will connect to the 6E access point and talk to the PC directly via AIRLINK. The Airlink connection does not go out through the internet, then back into the home. So the internet connection does not matter.

The video card in your PC is a bit lacking for VR.

When I used a 3060ti for VR sim racing, it was probably the bare minimum on iRacing I would go. The fps was playable, but not as high as I would like. I can't imagine how bad a 1060 3GB would be.

A USB-C cable meant for VR is the best way to go. It'll look much better than Airlink.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
May 2, 2024
VR needs alot of bandwidth, the Quest 3 has Wifi 6E, so you'll need an access point for 6E. It's best to have it in the same room as the quest.

Your spectrum internet speed does NOT MATTER at all. It's the hardware inside your house that matters.

You can install a WIFI 6E access point in the same room as your PC and Quest3. I would hardwire the PC with an ethernet cable to the 6E access point. You can set the access point to bridge or repeater mode, to get some internet access or use an ethernet cable to the main router if that's possible. It does not matter which mode you set it to. The Quest 3 will connect to the 6E access point and talk to the PC directly via AIRLINK. The Airlink connection does not go out through the internet, then back into the home. So the internet connection does not matter.

The video card in your PC is a bit lacking for VR.

When I used a 3060ti for VR sim racing, it was probably the bare minimum on iRacing I would go. The fps was playable, but not as high as I would like. I can't imagine how bad a 1060 3GB would be.

A USB-C cable meant for VR is the best way to go. It'll look much better than Airlink.
Thank you. In not planning on running VR for my sim racing quite yet (though I might give it a try) and Im aware Im a bit underpowered for that,

You have convinced me to just run ethernet. Ill have to run it through a wall, and through my closet, but its only about 10 feet away from the router and it wont be an eyesore with how much crap I have.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I don't play games.

However, agree that it has noting to do with internet bandwidth. If you are using Quest Airlink headset to PC, I think the bandwidth requirement is probably close to 4K video stream requirement, that is just over 30Mbps. However, it's best to run a ethernet cable from PC to the router.

The Quest devices supports up to 6E wifi router does not mean that it requires that much of bandwidth,

Only 5Ghz 802.11ac router is required.

There must be a model number for your Spectrum modem/router/gateway. What is it? Just take a look at the label.

You must also have other reason not being able to connect to Steam.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024
I don't play games.

However, agree that it has noting to do with internet bandwidth. If you are using Quest Airlink, I think the bandwidth requirement is probably close to 4K video stream requirement, that is just over 30Mbps. However, it's best to run a ethernet cable from PC to the router.

The Quest devices supports up to 6E wifi router does not mean that it requires that much of bandwidth,

Only 5Ghz 802.11ac is required.

You must have other reason not being able to connect to Steam.
Thats a possibility, but Steam claims it needs wifi 5 minimum, and mine i believe is wifi 2. Ill try the ethernet first, then look into it a bit more before upgrading the router. Ive only had it for a day, after all, but Ive seen a lot of others posting about needing router upgrade.

I totally get it about the local network vs, internet speed. Thats good to know. I dont see a model number on my router, just a mac address, and serial number.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Googled and these are the only places I could find info regarding Spectrum wifi router

https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/askey/rt4230w_rev6

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Askey_RAC2V1K
1733Mbps - 4SS 5GHz 802.11ac (80MHz chan.)

Chipset QCA9984
Peak Speed: Up to 1.733 Gbps​
Generation: Wi-Fi 4, Wi-Fi 5​
Standards: 802.11ac, 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n​
Spectral Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz​
Channels: 160 MHz, 20 MHz, 80 MHz, 40 MHz​
MIMO Configuration: 4x4​
Spatial Streams: Up to 4​

The spec is not bad. But you have to consider the router's location. Put it as close as to the PC and no obstacles.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024
So, Im waiting on my ethernet cable, but I am able to get it to work, if I connect to steam from living room, , then I have to go back to my bedroom, so my xbox controller will work. lol.