Question Cooling settings carried over from Windows to Linux?

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have a laptop (ASUS Vivobook 16X K3605ZV) which allows fan profile settings to be adjusted in MyASUS in Windows. I was wondering, would the chosen fan profile setting then be saved and carried over into Linux (Mint) if I were to have a dual-boot setup? Would the fan profile configuration be saved in the BIOS or just in Windows?

Thanks very much!

Solution
That ASUS tool that runs under Windows basically allows you to change the fan configuration settings in BIOS Setup from an on-screen tool.But that works ONLY in Windows. When you re-boot the settings already saved in BIOS Setup are restored until the ASUS utility loads and changes them. So they will NOT carry over to Linux.

However, IF you can use BIOS Setup to make your own custom settings to the mobo fan controller configurations and SAVE them before Exiting, then the mobo BIOS will save and re-use those every time, no matter which OS you load. Under Linux with no further changes imposed by some utility that would be what happens. But under Windows if you allow the ASUS tool to load and run, it will alter the settings while you are...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That ASUS tool that runs under Windows basically allows you to change the fan configuration settings in BIOS Setup from an on-screen tool.But that works ONLY in Windows. When you re-boot the settings already saved in BIOS Setup are restored until the ASUS utility loads and changes them. So they will NOT carry over to Linux.

However, IF you can use BIOS Setup to make your own custom settings to the mobo fan controller configurations and SAVE them before Exiting, then the mobo BIOS will save and re-use those every time, no matter which OS you load. Under Linux with no further changes imposed by some utility that would be what happens. But under Windows if you allow the ASUS tool to load and run, it will alter the settings while you are in Windows. If you then reboot into Linux with no such utility, the saved mobo settings will be used.

I could not find any clear manual on how to enter BIOS Setup and make changes in options. Maybe ask ASUS Tech Support for help on this.

Solution

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

However, IF you can use BIOS Setup to make your own custom settings to the mobo fan controller configurations and SAVE them before Exiting, then the mobo BIOS will save and re-use those every time, no matter which OS you load. Under Linux with no further changes imposed by some utility that would be what happens. But under Windows if you allow the ASUS tool to load and run, it will alter the settings while you are in Windows. If you then reboot into Linux with no such utility, the saved mobo settings will be used.

I could not find any clear manual on how to enter BIOS Setup and make changes in options. Maybe ask ASUS Tech Support for help on this.
Thank you Paperdoc.
I appreciate you clarifying how the configurations are stored.
Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any options for adjusting the fan settings in the BIOS screen, so not sure what else to do (when using in Linux).