Review Corsair MP700 Pro SE SSD review: New and improved

LaminarFlow

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
To me the trend with PCIe 5.0 drives almost feel like the early-mid 2000s CPU clock race, chasing superficial speed crown while getting pricier and worse and worse with heat/efficiency.

95% of actual usage can't really distinguish this vs a decent PCIe 3.0 drive. I'll be getting an upgrade to my 1TB drive this summer, and I sure as heck won't be buying anything PCIE 5.0

Li Ken-un

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
95% of actual usage can't really distinguish this vs a decent PCIe 3.0 drive. I'll be getting an upgrade to my 1TB drive this summer, and I sure as heck won't be buying anything PCIE 5.0
It’s good for one thing though: adding a lot of SSDs or more than two graphics cards (for whatever reason a prosumer might want that). You’ll pay dearly for the switch and cables/risers to make it happen right now though.

$100 for a single SlimSAS 8i cable… and they get even pricier as you get into specialty niches that are beyond the realm of prosumers who just need bandwidth, storage capacity, and GPUs to play with AI/ML.

helkins

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The author repeatedly mentions the Crucial T705 as the MP700 SE's chief rival - yet did not feel compelled to include the T705 in any of the benchmark comparisons? That is a profoundly terrible omission!

Sidenote; Tom's is completely unusable on a current iPhone using either Chrome or Safari, just inexcusable and insufferable! Had to get to a desktop to comment here.

I knew that. It was a Typo to say 600 instead of 6,000.
Even if it's 6000 vs 3000, it's still mostly meaningless. I have a 2TB SSD (an old Samsung 850 Pro SATA model) that I've been using for about nine years, and it still only has 160TB of writes. I download movies/videos to it all the time, as well as processing videos and other content over on that drive, so it gets way more of a workout than my typical SSDs.

Anything over 1000TBW for a home PC basically means you'll never hit that limit unless you're intentionally just pounding the drive with writes all the time (i.e. using some synthetic utility like Iometer or whatever).

The author repeatedly mentions the Crucial T705 as the MP700 SE's chief rival - yet did not feel compelled to include the T705 in any of the benchmark comparisons? That is a profoundly terrible omission!
We didn't test the T705 4TB, so we focused on other 4TB drives. The differences between T700 and T705 are well known by now. Higher peak throughput basically on the T705. Given the T705 and MP700 Pro SE use the exact same hardware, the only potentially differentiating factor would be firmware. And even that could be updated so that there's no longer any real difference.

Basically, if you want one of these Phison E26 drives, both Corsair and Crucial are well-known brands with good support. Buy whichever is cheaper.