Desktop Wireless Adapter bad Signal.

woctafu

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
So I am back home for the Holidays, and I had to do some work on their wifi network since they are having lots of guest in town for the Holidays. Our home does not have any ethernet ports at all, so they went with wifi. Upstairs where our stereo/cable box is located they have their wifi adapter. It is an Apple Airport Extreme, and recently they have been complaining about bad speeds in the downstairs of our home so they bought one of those apple wireless extenders. I have a desktop PC and a laptop and I have been trying to get my desktop to cooperate with this wireless network for some time.

I recently installed a "TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, Include Low-profile Bracket" on my desktop. However, when logging back into W10 my wifi bar is at the lowest it can go. In contrast my laptop and android both get full signal and my bed is a mere few feet away from my desktop. So I do not know what it causing this, the only thing I can assume is my desktop is ignoring the wireless extender and connecting to the router upstairs?

Lutfij

Titan
Can you please pass on the make and model number for your Apple range extender? Since you've stated the PCIe card as your method of connecting to a wireless connection I'd say that the placement of your wifi card is experiencing interference from being placed lower down the order and also having the antenna's around there. I suppose the best way to get you connectivity up would be to get a USB based wireless patter and ran it off of one of your FP USB2.0 ports. Another workaround with your existing hardware could be to get longer antenna's or placing your Apple Airport Extreme around the middle of your household to evenly distribute the signal to your devices.

Is it possible to state all the devices that are connecting to your wifi? Are you sure your TP-Link adapter's drivers are up to date? It could be possible that it is ignoring the range extender and connecting directly though the list of connected devices and your range extender info will give off the culprit.

In times like these a diagram of your household could help in better understanding the signal bearing since an angled signal propagation means more material to travel through before reaching a device = reduced signal strength.