Question Did I Fry my Gigabyte Radeon RX 6660

bluj162

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
While playing Helldivers 2 last night I used the AMD auto overclock feature in the Radeon Software and my screen went black. I was able to get my old gpu to work and boot to windows but with my RX 6600 I only get a black screen. I was able to remote into the pc with RDP with my RX 6600 plugged in and install the appropriate drivers but still no display. I also tried undervolting it in the software after installing the drivers and reseting the gpu.

I'm still under warranty so I'm going to try to RMA it with Gigabyte this week. Is this something that could occur with a moderate OC?

While playing Helldivers 2 last night I used the AMD auto overclock feature in the Radeon Software and my screen went black. I was able to get my old gpu to work and boot to windows but with my RX 6600 I only get a black screen. I was able to remote into the pc with RDP with my RX 6600 plugged in and install the appropriate drivers but still no display. I also tried undervolting it in the software after installing the drivers and reseting the gpu.

I'm still under warranty so I'm going to try to RMA it with Gigabyte this week. Is this something that could occur with a moderate OC?
There is a built-in safety measures in the gpu to prevent damage to the gpu when overclocking. It will simply shut down and a restart would be required with lower settings. Having said that, overclocking causes more heat to be generated, and the thought is it shortens the life of the electronics. An inferior cooling setup inside the pc case could also exacerbate this.

Reactions: bluj162

bluj162

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
There is a built-in safety measures in the gpu to prevent damage to the gpu when overclocking. It will simply shut down and a restart would be required with lower settings. Having said that, overclocking causes more heat to be generated, and the thought is it shortens the life of the electronics. An inferior cooling setup inside the pc case could also exacerbate this.
I thought so too, and I've used this tool a ton but for some reason this seems to have killed it. I even thought maybe the PCI slot was fried and not just the card but I'm using my old RX 580 in the same slot right now. Again, it's under warranty so I'm glad it's not my mobo but still weird.

I guess I'm playing older games until this is sorted out...

bluj162

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
I got my card back and no issues so far actually. I think may have actually performed some testing/repair as it was cleaner when I got it back. Also I updated my BIOS while it was away so who knows, maybe I just spend ~2.5 weeks and $60 in shipping for no reason.