Question Differing Game Latency on two gaming pcs

Cairparaveil

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Hi All,

So I've just moved into an apartment with my partner, we currently have our rigs set up in the living room about 5 steps away from our router. We both like to play online games but for some reason, even though my PC is 1 step away from hers, my lag/latency is much higher than hers to the point it makes games somewhat unplayable. I have the newer PC and my wireless adapter is newer (she has TP-Link Archer T2U and I have Archer T3U). I swapped our adapters to see if that was causing the problem but no, my games were still laggy. Our download speed is 1gb so I don't think the speed is the issue and there's no data cap. We haven't touched any settings on the router either.

Any ideas what might be causing it?

Kind Regards,

kanewolf

Titan
Hi All,

So I've just moved into an apartment with my partner, we currently have our rigs set up in the living room about 5 steps away from our router. We both like to play online games but for some reason, even though my PC is 1 step away from hers, my lag/latency is much higher than hers to the point it makes games somewhat unplayable. I have the newer PC and my wireless adapter is newer (she has TP-Link Archer T2U and I have Archer T3U). I swapped our adapters to see if that was causing the problem but no, my games were still laggy. Our download speed is 1gb so I don't think the speed is the issue and there's no data cap. We haven't touched any settings on the router either.

Any ideas what might be causing it?

Kind Regards,
The two PCs competing for the same WIFI would be a possible explanation. Run ethernet cable across the floor from the primary router to the two PCs. See if the problem still happens. Until you test with a wired connection on BOTH PCs you are just chasing ghosts.

Cairparaveil

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
The two PCs competing for the same WIFI would be a possible explanation. Run ethernet cable across the floor from the primary router to the two PCs. See if the problem still happens. Until you test with a wired connection on BOTH PCs you are just chasing ghosts.
Hi,

Both pcs at the same time or one at a time?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Your hardware vs hers? What's game server's IP? Can you ping it? Show what's difference between two machines? Do you have anything running in the background?

As suggested, use wired ethernet to rule out wifi problem first.

Cairparaveil

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Ran a wired connection to my PC. Latency wasn't an issue nor for me or her.